Why bother with a performance car.

The place to discuss everything else..
happy days

Post by happy days »

It's great living in 'rural' Ireland with little traffic, twisty roads and a full tank of petrol.
Macan S D
718 S

грязныйдизель

Post by грязныйдизель »

If he was doing 100 and then slowing, how much did he slow for you to keep up with him for the whole period?
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Having experimented owning a non-performance daily hack for the last 3 years, I think it’s definitely still worth having a performance car. It just makes progress totally effortless. I find myself thrashing our 1.5 TDI Qashqai all the time just to keep up with the flow. It gets the job done, but it’s often quite painful and frustrating. Same roads in a 911 are a joy to drive. Although I think it depends a lot where you drive. We are lucky to still have a lot of open rural roads with few cameras. In a city environment I wouldn’t bother with anything sporty or powerful.
Ferdie

Post by Ferdie »

Peteski wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:25 pm Having experimented owning a non-performance daily hack for the last 3 years, I think it’s definitely still worth having a performance car. It just makes progress totally effortless. I find myself thrashing our 1.5 TDI Qashqai all the time just to keep up with the flow. It gets the job done, but it’s often quite painful and frustrating. Same roads in a 911 are a joy to drive. Although I think it depends a lot where you drive. We are lucky to still have a lot of open rural roads with few cameras. In a city environment I wouldn’t bother with anything sporty or powerful.
I agree with your sentiment . Driving pleasure is not fast driving at all but being in a responsive car that allows you to be 'more' in control of your pace on a journey and a little bit of excess power and a nice sound (don't have that really but any 6 is nice) makes routine journey a much more enjoyable one :D I don't actually mind being on a parked motorway (so much) in my Macan it is such a nice place to be, although the mpg does take a bit of ahit then!
991.1 C2 - Black Edition
(Prior) Macan SD - Night Blue
Fordson Dexta - 1960
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Ferdie wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:43 pm
Peteski wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:25 pm Having experimented owning a non-performance daily hack for the last 3 years, I think it’s definitely still worth having a performance car. It just makes progress totally effortless. I find myself thrashing our 1.5 TDI Qashqai all the time just to keep up with the flow. It gets the job done, but it’s often quite painful and frustrating. Same roads in a 911 are a joy to drive. Although I think it depends a lot where you drive. We are lucky to still have a lot of open rural roads with few cameras. In a city environment I wouldn’t bother with anything sporty or powerful.
I agree with your sentiment . Driving pleasure is not fast driving at all but being in a responsive car that allows you to be 'more' in control of your pace on a journey and a little bit of excess power and a nice sound (don't have that really but any 6 is nice) makes routine journey a much more enjoyable one :D I don't actually mind being on a parked motorway (so much) in my Macan it is such a nice place to be, although the mpg does take a bit of ahit then!
That’s right and not to mention overtaking, which is a real chore (or often totally unfeasible) in a low powered car. High performance gives you options and safer too if used wisely. This is particularly relevant where we live with many winding rural roads and few safe overtaking spots. Excess power really helps to clear farm traffic and perpetual 40 mph plodders.
VanB

Post by VanB »

I don't know about anyone else but I often find the Macan is a bit too large when wanting to pass on a country road especially as more and more people seem to want to hug the middle of the road and it can make it too tight/dangerous to pass them. It's great having the power but you also need the space.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
happy days

Post by happy days »

VanB wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:42 pm I don't know about anyone else but I often find the Macan is a bit too large when wanting to pass on a country road especially as more and more people seem to want to hug the middle of the road and it can make it too tight/dangerous to pass them. It's great having the power but you also need the space.
A 718S fits the bill perfectly here...
Macan S D
718 S
VanB

Post by VanB »

981 was good for that too but I think the 991 is nearly as fat as the Macan which is a slight concern
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate