Great answer!

The place to discuss everything else..
happy days

Post by happy days »

It's fairly snowy here today. One of the girls arrived in driving an old 996 (her husband's). She has been seen in it a few times recently, so me being the cheeky sod, stuck my head around her door and quipped "you're getting very fond of driving that Porker", to which she quickly replied...

" well. it IS four wheel drive..."

Great answer.
Macan S D
718 S

Mistertoad

Post by Mistertoad »

Doubles the chance of losing grip :twisted:
2015 Cayenne S - Sold
2016 718 Boxster - Sold
2016 Bentley Continental GT V8 S
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Great answer, great excuse :D
Tall Phil

Post by Tall Phil »

IIRC, one of the motoring mags did a trial testing out the difference between winter and summer tyres on two-wheel and four-wheel drive cars in wintery conditions.

Although lots of testing has been carried out, this particular one came to the conclusion that a rear-wheel drive car, with winters fitted, was better than a four-wheel drive vehicle, with summers fitted.

This was a mildly interesting result, for me at least.
GTS \o/ - sold :(
happy days

Post by happy days »

Yes, I saw that one too. However a 4WD with winter tyres would be even better!
Macan S D
718 S
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Tall Phil wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:46 pm IIRC, one of the motoring mags did a trial testing out the difference between winter and summer tyres on two-wheel and four-wheel drive cars in wintery conditions.

Although lots of testing has been carried out, this particular one came to the conclusion that a rear-wheel drive car, with winters fitted, was better than a four-wheel drive vehicle, with summers fitted.

Tyres are king when it comes to grip. Proper winter tyres have a lot more grip than summer tyres, giving far more of an advantage than 4 wheel drive alone. My 911 C4S made a superb winter car with both winter tyres and 4WD. But it’s the tyres that you notice most.
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Tall Phil wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:46 pm IIRC, one of the motoring mags did a trial testing out the difference between winter and summer tyres on two-wheel and four-wheel drive cars in wintery conditions.

Totally agree, as long as a set of 4 of the same make / pattern of winter tyres is fitted to the RWD car. Or indeed a FWD car. In ice and snow conditions it will outperform a 4x4 on summer tyres every time.

Mind you a 4x4 fitted with a full set of winter tyres is the go anywhere champion on or even off-road in sub 7C temperature conditions.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver