Italy road trip sorted!

The place to discuss everything else..
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

Dandock wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:57 am
Hawkeye wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:07 am What does your business do Dandock?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We manufacture and market, mostly via resellers, a unique, disposable product to the NHS.
That’s a whole lot better than indestructible products with lifetime guarantee.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)

Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Hawkeye wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:36 am Interesting. I have a lot of respect for entrepreneurs. Hope you find a buyer willing to give you a great price for retirement.

Thanks Hawkeye - me too. And hopefully with sufficient to spare for something 911-ish. :D
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Tom 2000 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:08 am
Dandock wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:57 am
Hawkeye wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:07 am What does your business do Dandock?

We manufacture and market, mostly via resellers, a unique, disposable product to the NHS.
That’s a whole lot better than indestructible products with lifetime guarantee.
Absolutely. It does help me sleep better. Especially as on average one is used every 25 seconds of every single day. 😀
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Johnsmith

Post by Johnsmith »

Just make sure you're not away on the road trip mid company disposal process otherwise it's a complete waste of time - I speak from bitter experiences!!

Entrepreneurs relief will justify the new 911!
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Johnsmith wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:08 pm Just make sure you're not away on the road trip mid company disposal process otherwise it's a complete waste of time - I speak from bitter experiences!!

Entrepreneurs relief will justify the new 911!

Thanks John. No danger this year as we haven't begun the process which, as you obviously know, takes a while to jestate. Just for reference, who did you use?
Johnsmith

Post by Johnsmith »

I'll send you a PM once I've worked out how to do it (and the kids have calmed down)!
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

Dandock wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:37 am Comments are both expected and appreciated.

Re Belgium, what will be, will be. I'll report back afterwards. If not the shortest route (and cheapest) it was the one that allowed fill-ups in Luxembourg. In fact the outward overnight is the only one we're locked in to!

Stuttgart. I pondered this but ultimately 1. deferred to Mrs D and 2. couldn't really make the time required - at least one night, probably two.

Yes, we are avoiding Switzerland. From Baden-Baden we will head down past(!) Stuttgart and via Ulm and Innsbruck then over the Brenner. It's a long 5-6 hour leg and therefore at Mrs D's limit. I considered going via Switzerland but... swings and roundabouts, and can put the €40 road tax towards Italian overheads. Having read lots of blogs on the subject I wonder whether there is an ideal given time, tolls, queues etc.

Re Lake Garda, we're staying 3 nights on the way back. And Siena? We've not done any planning yet for our week but have been to Siena before. As ever, time is the enemy! Once I retire we'll have more options but that's a year or so away yet.

Anyone want to buy a business? 😬
Dandock, You've thought it through very well, I guessed your objective was to limit toll costs, they really add up. Cheaper fuel won't save much in the scheme of things though, if you look for (all on Sat Nav) supermarkets such as Intermarche, Auchan & LeClerc in France & Belgium, they sometimes have higher grade fuel, and it will be the cheapest around and worth a small detour, perhaps combined with a lunch break. eg St Quentin just off the A26 112 miles from Calais but £12 in tolls. Driving the S last September, my attention was always on filling up, hoping Mrs B didn't realise the increased need for fuel from the SD on previous trips. I found excuses to pop out on my own and top up so she never noticed.
Stuttgart is an indulgence on a long road trip, we stayed in the area 3 nights then on to Italy. It's doable in a long weekend from the UK, as is Leipzig.
On South of Lake Garda, drive right to the Castle at Sirmione, plenty of parking available, a unique place. Instead of Siena, give a thought to Gimingano, its small but beatiful, avoid market day if possible.
5 to 6 hours is enough for us at a time as well, through Switzerland is expensive but a pleasant journey esp over the Gottard pass.
Am I right to think you'll be going a part of Austria? If so check out their motorway sticker requirement. €10 for a month I recall.
When is this road trip? We'll be off to the same area in late August.
Safe travels.
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Bigboyrolo wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:31 pm
Dandock wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:37 am Comments are both expected and appreciated.

Re Belgium, what will be, will be. I'll report back afterwards. If not the shortest route (and cheapest) it was the one that allowed fill-ups in Luxembourg. In fact the outward overnight is the only one we're locked in to!

Stuttgart. I pondered this but ultimately 1. deferred to Mrs D and 2. couldn't really make the time required - at least one night, probably two.

Yes, we are avoiding Switzerland. From Baden-Baden we will head down past(!) Stuttgart and via Ulm and Innsbruck then over the Brenner. It's a long 5-6 hour leg and therefore at Mrs D's limit. I considered going via Switzerland but... swings and roundabouts, and can put the €40 road tax towards Italian overheads. Having read lots of blogs on the subject I wonder whether there is an ideal given time, tolls, queues etc.

Re Lake Garda, we're staying 3 nights on the way back. And Siena? We've not done any planning yet for our week but have been to Siena before. As ever, time is the enemy! Once I retire we'll have more options but that's a year or so away yet.

Anyone want to buy a business? 😬
Dandock, You've thought it through very well, I guessed your objective was to limit toll costs, they really add up. Cheaper fuel won't save much in the scheme of things though, if you look for (all on Sat Nav) supermarkets such as Intermarche, Auchan & LeClerc in France & Belgium, they sometimes have higher grade fuel, and it will be the cheapest around and worth a small detour, perhaps combined with a lunch break. eg St Quentin just off the A26 112 miles from Calais but £12 in tolls. Driving the S last September, my attention was always on filling up, hoping Mrs B didn't realise the increased need for fuel from the SD on previous trips. I found excuses to pop out on my own and top up so she never noticed.
Stuttgart is an indulgence on a long road trip, we stayed in the area 3 nights then on to Italy. It's doable in a long weekend from the UK, as is Leipzig.
On South of Lake Garda, drive right to the Castle at Sirmione, plenty of parking available, a unique place. Instead of Siena, give a thought to Gimingano, its small but beatiful, avoid market day if possible.
5 to 6 hours is enough for us at a time as well, through Switzerland is expensive but a pleasant journey esp over the Gottard pass.
Am I right to think you'll be going a part of Austria? If so check out their motorway sticker requirement. €10 for a month I recall.
When is this road trip? We'll be off to the same area in late August.
Safe travels.
We're going in June. As well as avoiding tolls part of the motive was also to see some of Germany which dictated the direction. As for fuel I was aware before we went last year of the cheaper options but actually forgot on the day - just wanting to get on our way. I had one fill at a cheapo supermarche and it was cheap - about €1:30 maybe! I really noticed the difference though both in economy and performance.

I hoping we can get as far a Luxembourg on one tank. It's about 450 miles so nip n tuck. Maybe a splash n dash somewhere.

Yes we will be going through Austria and wasn't aware of the charge. Thank you, I'll look at it. Thanks also re Sirmione which will be new and of course San Gimingano which we know from a previous trip.

Hopefully there'll be other hols to explore other the Alpine options.
brains1900

Post by brains1900 »

Nice trip. Living in Essex I have used the Harwich Hook of Holland overnight ferry for my road trip to italy. You can get to baden baden from there in 6 hours and saves you having to overnight in belgium.
wallaby

Post by wallaby »

brains1900 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:55 pm Nice trip. Living in Essex I have used the Harwich Hook of Holland overnight ferry for my road trip to italy. You can get to baden baden from there in 6 hours and saves you having to overnight in belgium.
Living close to Harwich I can vouch for that option - used it last year to visit Stuttgart and will probably do the same this year.
991.2 C4 NIght Blue - collected 16/5/18
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJSWXUK8
GTS sold
Diesel S - Sold
Cayman 981 2.7 PDK - Sold