The place to discuss everything else..
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

ScotMac wrote: โ†‘Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:30 pm
Dandock wrote: โ†‘Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:58 pm
ScotMac wrote: โ†‘Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:09 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Trip sounds brilliant. Must treat my Macan someday. :D
Indeed you must, ScotMac. It was one of the prime reasons for buying it. We've always loved road trips but Mrs D's back had become a major restricting factor. The Macan has solved that. ๐Ÿ˜€
[/quote

Did you trade in Mrs D for the Macan ???

Which OPC did you use :D :D :D
Noooo! In fact it was Mrs D that insisted we had the petrol S. 'If we're going to have a Porsche it had jolly well better sound like a Porsche!' Job done! :D :D

Our OPC was Tewkesbury. We'd originally had a short test from Swindon - a very short test! - which they then failed to follow up. In the interim Tewkesbury opened and being much closer made it a no-brainer. The experience wasn't without its issues , though - teething troubles, let's say - but that's probably another thread.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! ๐Ÿ˜€

Ferdie

Post by Ferdie »

Now I'm google maping your route I am of a mind to steal some of your route, so please keep posting. :D :D :D

There are some of us planning a road trip next Autumn. We will be ending near Monte Carlo - so I like the look of your return route.

We will be in Bolzano couple of months before but that will be plane and train :shock:
991.1 C2 - Black Edition
(Prior) Macan SD - Night Blue
Fordson Dexta - 1960
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

It'd be a pleasure.

The premise was to see and experience some of Germany whilst using that idea to avoid tolls as much as possible. Obviously can't do anything to avoid or ease the payment experience in Italy, but that's the least of our worries when driving there!! We are also looking to go via Luxembourg - for the cheap fuel! ๐Ÿ˜ฌ

The first leg is a big one and the second quite small to compensate and at the same time leaving some time to see a few things. We've also booked hotels with, wherever possible, Macan standard parking! And a restaurant to avoid having to source one - unless we choose to. And just this afternoon I came across what looks like a nice restaurant in Baden-Baden - Rizzi. The same principle applies on the return leg.

I'm happy to list our hotel choices if helpful. We're past the 'somewhere to doss' age and like some creature comforts. I wanted to get things sorted early as some availability was looking a bit marginal. Having said that all but one are via Booking.com so are fluid until about a week prior.

Apart from Tuscany, and a few days for me on business in Ammersee, the rest will be completely new for us. ๐Ÿ˜€

PS. I have driven in Italy before including a wonderful return trip from Bagni di Luca over the 'Pennines' to Maranello. ๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! ๐Ÿ˜€
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

Dandock wrote: โ†‘Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:34 am I know I'm opening myself up to all manner of comment but here's our next road trip.

Day 1. Cheltenham - Namur
Day 2. Namur - Baden-Baden
Day 3. Baden-Baden - Bolzano
Day 4. Bolzano - Montepulciano

Chill ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜Ž

Then... Montepulciano - Bardolino (with thanks to Guy) ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜Ž
Bardolino - Uberlingen (Lake Constance) ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜Ž
Uberlingen - Heidelberg
Heidelberg - Ghent
Ghent - Cheltenham ๐Ÿ˜ด๐Ÿ˜ด
Any road trip to Italy will be great, its our favourite driving destination. There are so many routes you could take. In 2018 we will drive to Sorrento and chill, it will be our 10th consecutive year, so some thoughts on your route., not sure you asked for input though.
1) I would stay out of Belgium but French tolls really add up.
2) no planned visit to Stuttgart?
3) Through Switzerland is the shortest to Central Italy but at over โ‚ฌ35 the motorway pass is pricey. Not sure if you are going east from Baden Baden to avoid Switzerland then over the Brenner and south to Bolzano or travelling south through Switzerland, past Milan and on to a different Bolzano/ Vicentino. If the latter a night stop in Desenzano at the South end of Lake Garda would be convenient and allow for a shorter journey next day to Montepulciano. I've not done your return route, so no valid comments.
A bus ride into Siena is a must.
This year we thought there was a signifcant rise in the cost of Italian toll roads and their fuel was the most expensive.
FYI, our routes there & back this year attached.
Have fun.

31F281B4-DC37-4634-8250-F361D7DD7D21.jpeg

DAA9879A-AAF2-47C5-A727-0D2B66FFC3C2.jpeg

"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16
Ferdie

Post by Ferdie »

Some great observations and interesting ideas from you both will be taking that on-board.

We will be trying to balance natural sights/walks with less metropolitan city stops. The bigger city visits we usually try to be car-less and fly into and out of to alleviate parking and general navigating hassles :x

The road trip idea is new for us (except in US) so still learning but it is proving to be quite fun, if a bit complex, and not exactly cheap. We too now want to know where we will end up sleeping at the end of the day :lol: !
991.1 C2 - Black Edition
(Prior) Macan SD - Night Blue
Fordson Dexta - 1960
Crazy diamond

Post by Crazy diamond »

Great idea and perhaps the only way now to get some fantastic driving with great roads and few cars; the UK rarely offers either nowadays. Having driven across europe numerous times may I recommend Italyโ€™s Agriturismo [https://www.agriturismo.it/en] for great value, quality, accommodation. Of course nothing is guaranteed but we managed to find a farmhouse cottage and infinity pool all to ourselves for 70 euro per night๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Comments are both expected and appreciated.

Re Belgium, what will be, will be. I'll report back afterwards. If not the shortest route (and cheapest) it was the one that allowed fill-ups in Luxembourg. In fact the outward overnight is the only one we're locked in to!

Stuttgart. I pondered this but ultimately 1. deferred to Mrs D and 2. couldn't really make the time required - at least one night, probably two.

Yes, we are avoiding Switzerland. From Baden-Baden we will head down past(!) Stuttgart and via Ulm and Innsbruck then over the Brenner. It's a long 5-6 hour leg and therefore at Mrs D's limit. I considered going via Switzerland but... swings and roundabouts, and can put the โ‚ฌ40 road tax towards Italian overheads. Having read lots of blogs on the subject I wonder whether there is an ideal given time, tolls, queues etc.

Re Lake Garda, we're staying 3 nights on the way back. And Siena? We've not done any planning yet for our week but have been to Siena before. As ever, time is the enemy! Once I retire we'll have more options but that's a year or so away yet.

Anyone want to buy a business? ๐Ÿ˜ฌ
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

What does your business do Dandock?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Hawkeye wrote: โ†‘Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:07 am What does your business do Dandock?

We manufacture and market, mostly via resellers, a unique, disposable product to the NHS.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Interesting. I have a lot of respect for entrepreneurs. Hope you find a buyer willing to give you a great price for retirement.

No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.