Italy road trip sorted!

The place to discuss everything else..
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

Dandock wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:56 am
Hawkeye wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:14 am
Bigboyrolo wrote:We use booking.com to find and book 1 or 2 nights stays for flexibilty, but usually book longer stays direct with the hotel, usually same bookng terms and sometimes an unexpected benefit, hoteliers dn't like booking.com.
Via Michelin, www.viamchelin.co.uk, is an excellent route planner, includes toll costs, route options and much more.
We now avoid city centre stopovers, having once booked in Metz, never again.
East of Grenoble towards Turin is a great area to drive through, close to many Tour de France mountain climbs, all fabulous, well worth seeking out.
That route, between France & Italy, via Briancon also avoids Switerland €40 for a carnet, and both the Mont Blanc and Frejus tunnels at €40 each way.
Happy planning.
We came back through Metz on our trip in May. Horses for courses, but I thought it was a great city. Really nice to explore and shop for half a day. I would take my wife there for a long weekend if there were any decent quick flight options, but a bit clunky for a short trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Different times, different experiences, different people. This is what makes exercises like this so interesting; and so difficult to determine what is best. As you say, Hawkeye, horses for courses.
Hawkeye, you are of course quite right. Metz is a terrific city, we really enjoyed 3 days there. The hotel we had booked overlooked the square near the Cathedral and was lovely. However, finding our way in on a busy Friday afternoon was not easy and taught us not to book hotels in the very centre of towns, this one was inside the protected town zone, past road barriers and the only parking was a very expensive multi storey for 24hrs at a time. All I meant was that for planning a stay, out of town works better for us.
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

That does sound tricky to navigate! We stayed in the Metz Mercure Centre which thankfully was close to the outer ring road.

No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

The hotel we’ve booked in Ghent is very central and within the restricted zone. We also arrived on a Friday afternoon. Sounds like it could be fun. But having seen pics of Ghent in Christophorus well worth it. 🤞🏻
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

Dandock wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:56 pm The hotel we’ve booked in Ghent is very central and within the restricted zone. We also arrived on a Friday afternoon. Sounds like it could be fun. But having seen pics of Ghent in Christophorus well worth it. 🤞🏻
Have fun. We just found it uneccesary after a long day, so out of town from now on.
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Bigboyrolo wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:44 pm
Dandock wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:56 pm The hotel we’ve booked in Ghent is very central and within the restricted zone. We also arrive on a Friday afternoon. Sounds like it could be fun. But having seen pics of Ghent in Christophorus well worth it. 🤞🏻
Have fun. We just found it uneccesary after a long day, so out of town from now on.
I can understand that, Frank. For us we find is relaxing to be able to have a walk after a long drive and try to take in something of where we are.

This was the view from our hotel room in Cahors last year. And just a short walk from the town centre.

IMG_0367.JPG

VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Dandock wrote:
Dandock wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:56 pm The hotel we’ve booked in Ghent is very central and within the restricted zone. We also arrive on a Friday afternoon. Sounds like it could be fun. But having seen pics of Ghent in Christophorus well worth it. 🤞🏻
I can understand that, Frank. For us we find is relaxing to be able to have a walk after a long drive and try to take in something of where we are.

This was the view from our hotel room in Cahors last year. And just a short walk from the town centre.
IMG_0367.JPG
Looks lovely. We’re regulars in Cahors as it’s just 40 mins down the road from our house. We frequently visit to top up our wine cellar.

No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Hawkeye wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:34 pm
Dandock wrote:

IMG_0367.JPG
Looks lovely. We’re regulars in Cahors as it’s just 40 mins down the road from our house. We frequently visit to top up our wine cellar.

Only an overnight for us but albeit brief we enjoyed it immensely.
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

Dandock wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:02 pm

IMG_0367.JPG
That is beautful, as are so many European towns. They are there to be discovered, a little off the beaten track at times, but we've been to some gems on our travels, any Euro road trips should give lasting memories. This has become a good thread.
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

That's pleasing to hear.

When I started the thread my hope was that it would provoke comment but also open up into an exchange of ideas, experiences, advice and recommendations not just related to my chosen route but to European ( holiday) travel as a whole. It's obvious that Forum members have a wealth of knowledge re routes and hotels, tolls and taxes etc. that could clearly be beneficial to other members. For example the simple advice to book our beloved beasts on Eurotunnel as high vehicles - invaluable, but something that I would not otherwise have been aware of. The Sanef system is another and more recently the Austrian Vignette - now digital so no more sticky windscreens!