Porsche 911 Carrera T

The place to discuss everything else..
Red5

Post by Red5 »

The switch to a solid bush is a pretty big deal! That and the geo changes are what create the life in the steering :D
That’s as far as most people would want to go for a road car / daily driver.

The GT3 has even more aggressive settings, along with rose-joint anchored suspension arms. The holy grail for feel and accuracy, but fast wearing and often brutal over bumps / cats-eyes!

Looking at it from a mechanical point of view, spacers only really offer negatives to me though!

The positive points one might seek with a wider track can be achieved, but with longer suspension arms.

These longer arms still create the rigid triangle, tipped with the wheel hub. Forces are then applied to the end point of the triangle by cornering / braking and all body movements.

Extending the wheel hub away from the point of the triangle with a spacer, magnifies the loads dramatically, even when only adding a few millimetres.

This is also why some cars can be ruined by adding extra width to the tyres, running soft compounds, or messing with ET values.

For a car with such strong suspension, the lesser evil would be to fit a 10mm wider wheel, with matching tyres.
If you get the figments correct, you would add 5mm inside and 5mm outside.
As long as you make it a light weight combination though!

This is all quite hard to judge!

If you fit the spacers and drive moderately, you might not notice. However, really hard braking instances can sometimes be unexpected, and you’ve already made the steering more reactive.

As you say though, give them a try, but I think they are a cosmetic addition :P

Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

To be fair, it’s probably the cosmetic/aesthetic aspect that appeals to me, with regard to the spacers. :oops: :)

On Rennlist, I have read of people putting spacers of up to 15mm on their 911! :shock:

I recall a while ago reading somewhere that Porsche-approved spacers go up to 5mm... :geek:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Red5

Post by Red5 »

Wing Commander wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:20 pm To be fair, it’s probably the cosmetic/aesthetic aspect that appeals to me, with regard to the spacers. :oops: :)

On Rennlist, I have read of people putting spacers of up to 15mm on their 911! :shock:

I recall a while ago reading somewhere that Porsche-approved spacers go up to 5mm... :geek:
15mm is lot, but I’ve seen worse!
Chris Harris retired from a race, after ripping off a wheel due to what looked like a home made 100mm spacer, on Top Gear last week :lol:
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

^^^ OMG!! :shock: :lol: :roll:
Simon

Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

P.S. Had another drive in the T yesterday. Really liking the new feel. Loving the ‘tied down’ feel, the car feeling more ‘alive’ and me ‘feeling’ the texture of the road a lot more. Four of us in the car last night and no-one complained about ride comfort! ;)
Simon

smithy37

Post by smithy37 »

Wing Commander wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:44 am P.S. Had another drive in the T yesterday. Really liking the new feel. Loving the ‘tied down’ feel, the car feeling more ‘alive’ and me ‘feeling’ the texture of the road a lot more. Four of us in the car last night and no-one complained about ride comfort! ;)
If you were to go down the Litchfield remap route, what would happen to the sport response button? Is the rendered useless with the remap? I am just curious as this may be something I consider for my GTS later down the line.
Taycan Turbo S
http://www.porsche-code.com/PMPMJ963

Litchfield tuned Porsche Carrera 4 GTS (991.2)

Sold in Jan 2019 - Cayenne Turbo (E3)

Sold in 2018 - Macan Turbo (15):
VanB

Post by VanB »

Interesting question Smithy. I believe the Litchfield remap takes the GTS to 512 hp but suspect the engine management works the same. Currently you have 450 hp at your disposal (well 444 to be more precise) but different gearbox maps, management software, suspension management etc look after how it’s delivered. I wouldn’t expect that to change just that there are more ponies at your disposal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

smithy37 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:11 pm
Wing Commander wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:44 am P.S. Had another drive in the T yesterday. Really liking the new feel. Loving the ‘tied down’ feel, the car feeling more ‘alive’ and me ‘feeling’ the texture of the road a lot more. Four of us in the car last night and no-one complained about ride comfort! ;)
If you were to go down the Litchfield remap route, what would happen to the sport response button? Is the rendered useless with the remap? I am just curious as this may be something I consider for my GTS later down the line.
Hi Smithy. Tricky one for me to answer, as I have a manual transmission, so no Sport Response button. ;) To be fair though, I had the Sport Response button on my 2017 Panamera 4 and very rarely used it. I saw on their Facebook page that Litchfield completed another full package on a Carrera T this week. That’s about ten that they’ve done now. Hoping to get the remap and other bits done in July. 8-)
Simon

smithy37

Post by smithy37 »

Wing Commander wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:18 pm
smithy37 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:11 pm
Hi Smithy. Tricky one for me to answer, as I have a manual transmission, so no Sport Response button. ;) To be fair though, I had the Sport Response button on my 2017 Panamera 4 and very rarely used it. I saw on their Facebook page that Litchfield completed another full package on a Carrera T this week. That’s about ten that they’ve done now. Hoping to get the remap and other bits done in July. 8-)
I’d seen on a Facebook post a lovely (Miami?) blue T that looked to have had the “works”. Even painted a lip spoiler for him.
Certainly pricked my interest and I’m looking forwarded to watching the transformation of your car Simon.
Taycan Turbo S
http://www.porsche-code.com/PMPMJ963

Litchfield tuned Porsche Carrera 4 GTS (991.2)

Sold in Jan 2019 - Cayenne Turbo (E3)

Sold in 2018 - Macan Turbo (15):
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

^^^ Hi Smithy. Yes, that’s the one that I saw. Yep, Miami Blue and they painted the front spoiler lip in Agate Grey to match the mirrors etc. I’ve already had the suspension tweaks done. Getting the spacers fitted on Saturday morning. Then hoping to go for the rest of the package in July, including the Remus exhaust, new manifolds, new sports CATs and the ECU remap resulting in 480hp. Can’t wait, as having tried Iain’s car, I know how good the total package is! :twisted:

At 480hp, the finished car will have more power and hugely more torque than the 991.1 GT3!
Simon