Insurance Highwaymen

The place to discuss everything else..
User avatar
Tom 2000
Posts: 630
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:23 am
Location: Norn Iron

Re: Insurance Highwaymen

Post by Tom 2000 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:47 pm

Rab J wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:39 pm
NFU were £350 last June for my Macan GTS. I have ask them about the new 911 GTS and they have quoted £320 I think.
That’s alright. I was put off them cause about 20 years ago I asked them to quote on farm insurance and I’m still waiting for the call back.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.


User avatar
Rab J
Posts: 858
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:48 am
Location: Ballymena

Re: Insurance Highwaymen

Post by Rab J » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:10 am

Tom 2000 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:47 pm
Rab J wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:39 pm
NFU were £350 last June for my Macan GTS. I have ask them about the new 911 GTS and they have quoted £320 I think.
That’s alright. I was put off them cause about 20 years ago I asked them to quote on farm insurance and I’m still waiting for the call back.
I would imagine things have moved on quite a bit in twenty years Tom, and I have had a very positive and friendly experience with our local branch. I went to them after a tip from someone on here, as many have, and was pleased if not downright amazed by what I was quoted for the Macan which also included two years GAP. Now with the 911 on the way I was more surprised to find the quote even lower. When I ask why the girl said it was that with my profile, low mileage, garaged, and retired it was what they called a lifestyle car, i.e. one that was only used on sunny days and left tucked up in the garage when the road conditions were less than perfect and accidents were more likely.
Must say I am still amazed that a guy who was once in his youth described as "a lunatic and a danger to society" by a judge can insure a near 200mph car for £300. Isn't old age a wonderful thing. :)
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD Waiting patiently untill I can hit the warp drive button
www.porsche-code.com/PJTSYXY8


User avatar
Hawkeye
Posts: 1791
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:20 am

Re: Insurance Highwaymen

Post by Hawkeye » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:22 am

Interested to hear more about the incident that required a judge ..........


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.


User avatar
Tom 2000
Posts: 630
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:23 am
Location: Norn Iron

Re: Insurance Highwaymen

Post by Tom 2000 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:26 am

Rab J wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:10 am
Tom 2000 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:47 pm
Rab J wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:39 pm
NFU were £350 last June for my Macan GTS. I have ask them about the new 911 GTS and they have quoted £320 I think.
That’s alright. I was put off them cause about 20 years ago I asked them to quote on farm insurance and I’m still waiting for the call back.
I would imagine things have moved on quite a bit in twenty years Tom, and I have had a very positive and friendly experience with our local branch. I went to them after a tip from someone on here, as many have, and was pleased if not downright amazed by what I was quoted for the Macan which also included two years GAP. Now with the 911 on the way I was more surprised to find the quote even lower. When I ask why the girl said it was that with my profile, low mileage, garaged, and retired it was what they called a lifestyle car, i.e. one that was only used on sunny days and left tucked up in the garage when the road conditions were less than perfect and accidents were more likely.
Must say I am still amazed that a guy who was once in his youth described as "a lunatic and a danger to society" by a judge can insure a near 200mph car for £300. Isn't old age a wonderful thing. :)
Tell me about it. I was berated in court for doing 93 for a WHOLE MILE.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.


User avatar
Wing Commander
Posts: 12020
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:43 pm
Location: Swindon

Re: Insurance Highwaymen

Post by Wing Commander » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:26 am

Hawkeye wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:22 am
Interested to hear more about the incident that required a judge ..........
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1. :lol:
Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow http://www.porsche-code.com/PJCIIPK4


User avatar
Ian.g
Posts: 926
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:04 pm
Location: Worcestershire

Re: Insurance Highwaymen

Post by Ian.g » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:53 am

Aviva are fine but look carefully at the excesses. They were sufficiently big that I paid a bit more and went with NFU. Good job as I then saved a load on a windscreen claim that I got done at the OPC


User avatar
VanB
Posts: 2482
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:58 pm

Re: Insurance Highwaymen

Post by VanB » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:13 am

NFU are really good if your postcode works for them but otherwise very uncompetitive. Only £300 for the Macan GTS and have given me an indicative £380 for the 911 GTS but can’t firm it up until 30 days before collection


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate


alxgb
Posts: 357
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:41 pm

Re: Insurance Highwaymen

Post by alxgb » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:18 am

Thanks everyone for your replies, really appreciate everyone's input. It's all a big help so thanks for taking the time. :D

I live in a semi-rural area outside a large town and it seems there are more NFU offices where I am than there are supermarkets! I had a pick of 5 branches and it was thanks to this forum that I gave them a call in the first place. I was tickled by the shotgun and ammunition question. We should have a Macan Forum group discount or referral bonus scheme in place...

I've tended to stay away from companies like Admiral as I found out through a friend's negative experience years back that their definition of modifications included factory fitted options. When I think of modifications, I think of variation from OEM stock parts and after market modifications. I was with them as an insurer at the time and duly rang with my declaration of 'modifications'. What a painful call and they couldn't put half the items in because they couldn't find a tick box. You'd only ever find out if you had a problem so I mention this in case anyone is with them and unaware of this 'nuance'.

Based on the quotes I've had back, Manning and NFU are definitely the most reasonable. The Macan GTS I have been given an indicative quote on for £388 which doesn't feel unreasonable as it includes my wife who hasn't been driving as long nor does she have a history with performance cars. They're also not asking for a tracker on it. I think if it got stolen, I wouldn't want it back. Just personal preference but I do need to put on in the GT3 so will look out the security thread and do some further investigations. The problem I have always had is benchmarking and knowing where the low water mark is with insurance. When I lived in East London, I might as well have been a convicted serial drunk driver for the premiums quoted to have the Porsches at the house (on the road outside) so I had to have everything stored about an hour away which was a right hassle and took a huge amount of fun out of ownership so when we moved out of London, I built a man cave that would make an insurer happy taking into account security rating and factors they like short of not driving the cars and having armed guards. :lol:

I've never done anything with GAP insurance as I have tended to go the agreed values route and make adjustments to market value. The challenge I have is that I am insuring 5 cars - 2 I am waiting for and 1 is being sold to make space in the garage for 1 of the inbound cars so from April/May, it'll be 4 cars. Two of the cars are extremely special and I am debating agreed value versus GAP on those and likely the GTS too although people like Manning said they would only do agreed values after a year despite the model having been out for a year already. Nobody is willing to make a commitment to the inbound cars as they are months away from delivery but indicative estimates have been reasonable so that's fair enough.

It makes sense to consolidate my business into one provider to get a better deal (I would have thought) but where I am struggling is the agreed values versus GAP debate. Manning won't agree a value on the GTS but will on the GT4 as I have had it more than a year. They've gone away to find out about the GT3 that is coming because it has to have a tracker so circumstances not strictly the same. They've gone back to the underwriter to check.

I have spent so much time horse trading to get this sorted out and I don't think what I'm asking for is that complex. I keep finding nuances that send me back to square one. Get the price right, no agreed values on some of the cars. No tracker but then no agreed value.

Thanks again for your comments. If anyone has any recommendations on GAP companies that they've used, I'm all ears.


alxgb
Posts: 357
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:41 pm

Re: Insurance Highwaymen

Post by alxgb » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:24 am

"That’s alright. I was put off them cause about 20 years ago I asked them to quote on farm insurance and I’m still waiting for the call back.

If it's of any use, I had a rabidly enthusiastic call back from them within an hour of submitting from their current website. The world has changed a lot since the Internet arrived.

The sales exec who called I felt convinced was 12 years old, she sounded incredibly young and then her email came through and she was marked as a 'Trainee'. I can't fault enthusiasm and a good attitude.


User avatar
Paul
Posts: 6611
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:19 pm
Location: Bristol
Contact:

Re: Insurance Highwaymen

Post by Paul » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:23 am

On the GAP question, ALA get good reviews on here.
1st Sapphire Blue SD
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1986

Current Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296


Post Reply

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”