Insurance Highwaymen

The place to discuss everything else..
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

alxgb wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:18 am Thanks everyone for your replies, really appreciate everyone's input. It's all a big help so thanks for taking the time. :D

I live in a semi-rural area outside a large town and it seems there are more NFU offices where I am than there are supermarkets! I had a pick of 5 branches and it was thanks to this forum that I gave them a call in the first place. I was tickled by the shotgun and ammunition question. We should have a Macan Forum group discount or referral bonus scheme in place...

I've tended to stay away from companies like Admiral as I found out through a friend's negative experience years back that their definition of modifications included factory fitted options. When I think of modifications, I think of variation from OEM stock parts and after market modifications. I was with them as an insurer at the time and duly rang with my declaration of 'modifications'. What a painful call and they couldn't put half the items in because they couldn't find a tick box. You'd only ever find out if you had a problem so I mention this in case anyone is with them and unaware of this 'nuance'.

Based on the quotes I've had back, Manning and NFU are definitely the most reasonable. The Macan GTS I have been given an indicative quote on for £388 which doesn't feel unreasonable as it includes my wife who hasn't been driving as long nor does she have a history with performance cars. They're also not asking for a tracker on it. I think if it got stolen, I wouldn't want it back. Just personal preference but I do need to put on in the GT3 so will look out the security thread and do some further investigations. The problem I have always had is benchmarking and knowing where the low water mark is with insurance. When I lived in East London, I might as well have been a convicted serial drunk driver for the premiums quoted to have the Porsches at the house (on the road outside) so I had to have everything stored about an hour away which was a right hassle and took a huge amount of fun out of ownership so when we moved out of London, I built a man cave that would make an insurer happy taking into account security rating and factors they like short of not driving the cars and having armed guards. :lol:

I've never done anything with GAP insurance as I have tended to go the agreed values route and make adjustments to market value. The challenge I have is that I am insuring 5 cars - 2 I am waiting for and 1 is being sold to make space in the garage for 1 of the inbound cars so from April/May, it'll be 4 cars. Two of the cars are extremely special and I am debating agreed value versus GAP on those and likely the GTS too although people like Manning said they would only do agreed values after a year despite the model having been out for a year already. Nobody is willing to make a commitment to the inbound cars as they are months away from delivery but indicative estimates have been reasonable so that's fair enough.

It makes sense to consolidate my business into one provider to get a better deal (I would have thought) but where I am struggling is the agreed values versus GAP debate. Manning won't agree a value on the GTS but will on the GT4 as I have had it more than a year. They've gone away to find out about the GT3 that is coming because it has to have a tracker so circumstances not strictly the same. They've gone back to the underwriter to check.

I have spent so much time horse trading to get this sorted out and I don't think what I'm asking for is that complex. I keep finding nuances that send me back to square one. Get the price right, no agreed values on some of the cars. No tracker but then no agreed value.

Thanks again for your comments. If anyone has any recommendations on GAP companies that they've used, I'm all ears.
I am in a similar position where i insure multiple vehicles. I switched to NFU around 2 years ago and have found them excellent service and when I have had to change cars half way through a policy there is no charge for this unlike some other insurance companies.
I was recommended NFU by farmer friends and their comment is “they pay out”. Farmers seem to claim a fair bit on their policy’s 😳
Others on this forum had also rated them highly. Again having a local branch is nice especially in the need of a situation resulting in a claim.

Once I read their policy I found it better than some others. Price was good which was a bonus but the theft XS for some vehicles (GTS) is £1600. Even if garaged and tracker fitted.
Didn’t bother me to be honest and have plenty of security in place. Other XS all normal.

Renewal with NFU was great and the costs were actually cheaper than last year which considering the additional tax increases by the government I thought was very good.
They have a customer loyalty programme. 😀

On all new cars I have taken a 5 year Gap Policy. I have used Ala.co.uk for over 7 years now.
The reason I take a 5 year policy is I get that at today’s prices (they have all gone up in the last 12 months) and even if I sell the car after 2-3 years you can get the remainnder refunded or move policy onto new car. I have done both at various points with no additional costs and very good service.

There are plenty of other reputable GAP companies out there too.
If you decide Ala is the one for you but find their prices higher than others then you can get a quote from another reputable GAP provider and they will not only match it but then reduce it further.
So i paid less than £400 one off payment for a 5 year vehicle replacement plus policy on a £75k vehicle.
All my cars are low mileage and well maintained so even at 5 years old they are like new to me so for me this Policy was crucial.
This is for new cars only though and the policy has to be taken out within a short period of time of taking delivery. Check this with them so you don’t lose out.

Have a chat with Gap companies and check if it’s the right thing for you.

Hope the above is of help.
I have never claimed on any policy and hope I never have to but the service has been excellent when required from both companies.
GTS 😀

Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

If you use ALA, put the code PISTON12 in for a 12% discount
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Ian.g wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:34 pm If you use ALA, put the code PISTON12 in for a 12% discount
Follow my method above gives you over 35% 😉

Use car2cover as a price guide and comes out £419 for 5 year replacement car
Ala at £645 will match above and have given additional 20% off
GTS 😀