992-generation 911 timetable

The place to discuss everything else..
LLL

Post by LLL »

Seems like very predicable updates for the 992 with the digitalization. Still think it is a bit to complicated UI and button overload both in the screens and on the console. UX is not Porsches strongest department.

Sad part is that it will take until the next generation 911 for the full electric version.

Virage11

Post by Virage11 »

MacanArif wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:54 am The most concerning thing is that the next GT3 will be turbo charged. I may have one of the last NA GT3s!
I am not convinced that is true. There are plenty of people on Rennlist who have queried this statement following previous statements by Andreas Preuninger indicating that there would be a NA car for the foreseeable future, particularly as they have the GT2 for the ultimate which is already turbo. Time will tell.
Current Porsches: 991.2 GT3 RS
Previous Porsches: Macan x4 (one of each), Panamera x2, 996x2, 997x2, Cayenne S, Boxster S, Cayman S x2, Boxster Spyder, 991.1 Turbo S, 991.2 GT3 (manual), 718 Cayman GTS (PDK)
Others: way too many...
happy days

Post by happy days »

I personally don't get this mislike of turbos. Having had both, I can only see positives from blown motors. Apart from some slight adjustment to the exhaust sound, I get the concept and the forcing of regulations means that their use will only increase.

Porsche have done some very clever things with variable vane technology, maintaining a blow through so revs don't drop and so on, so the latest generation of blown cars really are rather good. There is absolutely no turbo lag (I remember a Saab turbo having something like a two second delay - put your foot down, nothing and then wallop!), full torque available from 1,900 rpm (ie across all the range in practical driving) and better economy. What's not to like?
Macan S D
718 S
VanB

Post by VanB »

I agree with you Happy Days with the caveat that in comfort mode there is a slight but nevertheless discernible element of lag but definitely not noticeable in sport. The extra dollop of torque is also most welcome and gives the car a far greater degree of flexibility. Whilst I loved the sound of the NA engine on my 981 I found it a little tiresome to keep the revs up a 4000 plus in order to get the best out of it and turbo engines solve that problem.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
happy days

Post by happy days »

I must be in sport mode all the time then...
Macan S D
718 S
VanB

Post by VanB »

Not much point in being in sport on my daily commute in nose to tail traffic. On the open road is a different matter ;)
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
alxgb

Post by alxgb »

"The most concerning thing is that the next GT3 will be turbo charged. I may have one of the last NA GT3s!
I am not convinced that is true. There are plenty of people on Rennlist who have queried this statement following previous statements by Andreas Preuninger indicating that there would be a NA car for the foreseeable future, particularly as they have the GT2 for the ultimate which is already turbo. Time will tell."

I don't think you'll have one of the last NA GT3s. The production volumes of Weissach cars mean that any emission issues in individual models are offset and a drop in the ocean compared to the more compliant volume cars like the Macan which account for 40% of sales volume.

The next GT4 I am reliably informed is NA despite the 718 being 4 pot and this follows the theme of the 991.2 GT3 despite the rest of the range being turbo. I'm not against turbo charging, I'm against turbo lag and a horrific engine sound. I'm thinking the 718 here, even with PSE!

The GT2 was always a turbo motor, I expect them to keep that distinct and the brand needs halo cars that tie into motorsport as they have always traded on racing heritage and that pedigree. I think that the time will come but they are investing in hybrid so it might be hybrid not turbo. Although I have no idea how they'll do that from an engineering perspective!
Virage11

Post by Virage11 »

happy days wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:54 am I personally don't get this mislike of turbos. Having had both, I can only see positives from blown motors. Apart from some slight adjustment to the exhaust sound, I get the concept and the forcing of regulations means that their use will only increase.

Porsche have done some very clever things with variable vane technology, maintaining a blow through so revs don't drop and so on, so the latest generation of blown cars really are rather good. There is absolutely no turbo lag (I remember a Saab turbo having something like a two second delay - put your foot down, nothing and then wallop!), full torque available from 1,900 rpm (ie across all the range in practical driving) and better economy. What's not to like?
Two things primarily.

One is engine response. I agree with all of the above that turbo tech has improved significantly and the cars are very different to the old school turbos of the 80's and 90's (fond memories of a nicely lagging twin turbo V8 Lotus Esprit) but currently the best NA engines are still more immediate and rev higher which gives more engagement, control and drama.

The other is obviously noise - for which Porsche seem to struggle but others have overcome. My 991.1 Turbo S never sounded very exciting even though everything else about the car was fairly epic. Merc have fixed the noise issues with the latest gen of hot V turbos...the GT R makes extremely loud and angry noises without, to me, feeling or sounding at all synthetic.

So for me, I think whilst Porsche have a reputation for making screaming NA engines in the most engaging driving cars , there is a justifiable worry given their current turbo products, that a turbo GT3 will lose the excitement factor...a bit like 458 to 488 (although Ferrari partially overcame that with a massive increase in bhp!).
Previous Porsches: Macan x4 (one of each), Panamera x2, 996x2, 997x2, Cayenne S, Boxster S, Cayman S x2, Boxster Spyder, 991.1 Turbo S, 991.2 GT3 (manual), 718 Cayman GTS (PDK)
LLL

Post by LLL »

You guys discussing turbo lag... What you need is a full electric car.... you just don't know it yet :D
Virage11

Post by Virage11 »

Luke wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:09 pm You guys discussing turbo lag... What you need is a full electric car.... you just don't know it yet :D
I really do...for my family car...I really don't for my weekend car ;)