Garage makeover

The place to discuss everything else..
alxgb

Post by alxgb »

"Have you got a link or photo of your storage shelves? I'm looking for some myself at the moment and wondering what to go for."

I've got two types of shelves in the car part of the garage and then I have very utilitarian racks in the non-car part of the garage where I store things like hedge trimmers, strimmers, log splitters and lawn tractor etc. I've not done the floor in resin coat yet and am going to board the walls in OSB for that authentic Swedish sauna look but they work well for what they are and were considerably cheaper than the others. Going to put a Sealey cabinet in with angle grinder and vice as well but waiting till the floor is done.

The silver unit with the Metrovac on it is chrome wire shelving and comes in various duty standards and sizes. I had thought of powder coating or spray coating the rack in anthracite but not sure how hard wearing the finish would be bonded to chrome. It's very configurable and you can put wheels on it and they come with a high load bearing capacity and shallow profile. The problem with the racks I have in the other part of the garage is that they are very deep so you tend to end up with lots of wasted depth or having to pull things out to get at everything. I've solved it partially with IKEA large sealed dry food storage containers but it's not ideal. Don't laugh at the name of them:

Tillsluta Food Storage Boxes http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/cook ... -40257499/

Chrome Wire Shelving http://www.shopfittingwarehouse.co.uk/s ... gIcbvD_BwE

The black shelving units I have are made by Vitsoe http://www.vitsoe.com and I have ridiculous amounts of it. It works on an aluminium peg system and is fantastic. I would have done the entire garage in it but my wife clipped my wings as I'm managing a whole lot of other development at our house and apparently the garage has had too much love.

Scooby

Post by Scooby »

Thank you all for your ideas it has got me thinking
The resin floor does look good my question is if there is existing cracks in floor i take it you would need to screed the floor first
My garage isnt huge its 35sq metres and the garage company quoted me £2400 for rubber tiles to be fitted
Geuss ill sort it out on my own
Paul

Post by Paul »

😮
..puts my B&Q white brackets and laminated chipboard planks to shame!😳
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
happy days

Post by happy days »

My last garage had a set of old kitchen units installed along the back wall. Very neat and tidy. My brother got a new kitchen and was throwing the old units out. Lovely rosewood doors and the worktop made for a great work bench.
Macan S D
718 S
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Many thanks for the info alxgb, some great ideas for shelving there and will definitely look into those links.
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

happy days wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:57 am My last garage had a set of old kitchen units installed along the back wall. Very neat and tidy. My brother got a new kitchen and was throwing the old units out. Lovely rosewood doors and the worktop made for a great work bench.
That's my plan too for part of our garage. We have a few really nice Alno kitchen units left over from a previous project that I'm planning to use. They're a bit too upmarket for a garage really, but I can't think what else to do with them.
Nobleman

Post by Nobleman »

Scooby wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:26 am Thank you all for your ideas it has got me thinking
The resin floor does look good my question is if there is existing cracks in floor i take it you would need to screed the floor first
My garage isnt huge its 35sq metres and the garage company quoted me £2400 for rubber tiles to be fitted
Geuss ill sort it out on my own
Yes you need a solid screed with no cracks before you apply the Resincoat. As per my earlier post I used Setcrete levelling compound for that, did the job very well. Smells like rotten eggs for a while though. Cheaper than tiles and looks at least as good when painted.
pj191k89
gtipirelli

Post by gtipirelli »

Paul wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:32 am 😮
..puts my B&Q white brackets and laminated chipboard planks to shame!😳
I have exactly the same so keeping my head down on this thread :oops:

I have painted the floor and walls though and floored the loft section down the middle with some old bits of wood

I will however do something a bit more fancy for when I eventually park a 911 in there
Cayenne E Hybrid
718 Cayman S
Previous : Macan 2.0
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Would love to do a fancy garage floor in mine but would cost a fortune, floor area is nearly 130 sq metres. At the moment it is sealed concrete so very little dust and was done as a very very smooth finish. Aim of the builder was to mean I didn't need to paint or cover it but a nice painted floor looks better.
Virage11

Post by Virage11 »

All this talk has made me want to sort mine out! Its quite tidy but only has the bare concrete floor and exposed breeze block walls. The ceiling is properly plastered so at least that's done!
Current Porsches: 991.2 GT3 RS
Previous Porsches: Macan x4 (one of each), Panamera x2, 996x2, 997x2, Cayenne S, Boxster S, Cayman S x2, Boxster Spyder, 991.1 Turbo S, 991.2 GT3 (manual), 718 Cayman GTS (PDK)
Others: way too many...