Garage makeover

The place to discuss everything else..
Scooby

Post by Scooby »

Hi
I am looking at having my garage updated
I have looked at a few companys garageflex dura garages etc
Does anyone have experince of this
I was just looking for rubber tiled floor ceiling covering and obviosly the walls as well but just got my first quote and it just
seems rather dear
Are these companys just like old fashioned double glazing firms and start very high and then negotiate
down and down until you sign

Your comments please

happy days

Post by happy days »

My last garage had a tiled floor. Got a job lot of discontinued tiles from B&Q and got a local lad to lay them. Absolutely great - easy to clean and dust free.
Macan S D
718 S
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

For the flooring take a look at this:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=6303&hilit=floor+tiles

Tiles are from Mototile: http://mototile.com/motolock-interlocki ... tiles.html

The Dura cabinets look very high quality but are pricey. I guess you get what you pay for. I'm considering these at the moment.

I had a Hormann sectional up and over door fitted. Good quality and very secure.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:59 am For the flooring take a look at this:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=6303&hilit=floor+tiles

Tiles are from Mototile: http://mototile.com/motolock-interlocki ... tiles.html
I quite like those tiles but they look like dirt magnets. We used an epoxy coating on our old garage floor (same stuff we used for F1 pit garage floors) which is tough and very easy to mop clean. Our new garage floor just has grey latex paint, which is quite good too and a lot cheaper.
alxgb

Post by alxgb »

"I am looking at having my garage updated
I have looked at a few companys garageflex dura garages etc
Does anyone have experince of this
I was just looking for rubber tiled floor ceiling covering and obviosly the walls as well but just got my first quote and it just
seems rather dear
Are these companys just like old fashioned double glazing firms and start very high and then negotiate
down and down until you sign
Your comments please"

An excellent new year's resolution - make man cave good. :D

It depends what you want to do with the garage and how much space you have.

I had a three bay cart lodge built and then enclosed and fitted it out. I learnt a lot and also did a lot of the work myself in the end so yes, I have some experience and a few scars. :lol:

Depending on where you are, I could put you in touch with some of the contractors I used but the garage doors were an absolute nightmare decision. I found a brilliant guy to do the doors and went with Hormann. The supplier/fitter was worth his weight in gold in terms of preparation advice and so forth. My doors have worked flawlessly for two years without even a squeak. I have three sectional doors and I wanted them painted in a RAL colour to tie in with the house - it's a large surface area and we look out on to it from one aspect of the house so didn't want it in glaring white.
They were expensive I guess, around £5k for 3 but they're remote operated and are insulated. They'll also work with Homelink if you have the feature on your car. They're brilliant doors. There is a huge amount of rubbish out there and you get what you pay for.

Floor wise, I never bothered looking at rubber tiles. I went straight to self levelling epoxy screed but then figured that it was actually better to have a resin coat paint which I have been very pleased with. It's produced by a company called Resincoat https://www.resincoat.co.uk/en/paints/4 ... paint.html. I have linked to the product I used and you can see the finish. Depends what floor you have at the moment but I see they're doing some substantial discounts at the moment. Really helpful technical advice line and you can send them some photographs and they will advise and supply all. It's a two part mixer that goes off and generates some serious heat in curing - I remember the mix tin was too hot to pick up with bare hands as it was going off. I did it myself - it was a bit of a grubby job but I had prepared for it so had nitrile gloves and was setup. Not a job to be done in hot weather as you'll be in a race against time - the paint gets more and more viscous as it starts to go off and you really get a sweat on.

Storage wise, I use racks and I struggled to find some that were not bright red, yellow or blue. I ended up with three 8 ft high racks for £115 that matched the grey of the doors. They're ok and I ended up replacing all the shelves for shutter ply for extra strength as they supplied with that high fibre particle board and I have never been a fan even though it's rated at 250kg a shelf.
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

I have also gone for Hormann garage doors (and an old Henderson door) which are great.

I have also gone for the grey painted floor which is fine.

Remember some photos when you are finished - we like nice garages :D
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

alxgb wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:12 am It's a two part mixer that goes off and generates some serious heat in curing - I remember the mix tin was too hot to pick up with bare hands as it was going off. I did it myself - it was a bit of a grubby job but I had prepared for it so had nitrile gloves and was setup. Not a job to be done in hot weather as you'll be in a race against time - the paint gets more and more viscous as it starts to go off and you really get a sweat on.
Similar experience here, it's not a job to go into half-arsed! Having done it once, in future I'd rather get someone in to do it next time. But I think it's a good solution for a garage floor.

Have you got a link or photo of your storage shelves? I'm looking for some myself at the moment and wondering what to go for.
Nobleman

Post by Nobleman »

I refurbed my garage a few months ago. I wanted a smooth floor and low dust environment. The old floor was a basic screed, uneven and loose in some places, so it generated dust. The walls were mainly breezeblock with roughcast over brick in some places. Ceiling was just the rafters below a sloping flat roof if that makes sense (ie not horizontal and not a traditional pitch roof).

Main ingredients were

Floor:
Setcrete primer
Setcrete High Performance levelling compound
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Setcrete-High-P ... g/p/154134
Resincoat paint finish

Walls and ceiling:
Hardboard panels, rather than plasterboard. You can see some panel joins but they're tougher.
White undercoat, and Dulux Weathershield topcoat - several coats
Ceiling work was fiddly as we were levelling it off to make it flat rather than sloped like the roof line.

Lighting is from chunky LED downlighters.

Also added a new standard size rear door.

Overall result is great. The floor especially transforms it. Its so good Noblewoman has suggested I move in there. :roll:

Will post some pics when I get a chance.
pj191k89
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Living in London with no off street parking, I’m having serious garage envy even without the pictures!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

Hawkeye wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:37 pm Living in London with no off street parking, I’m having serious garage envy even without the pictures!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well I have literally acres of space, stabling for 10 horses plus barn and no garage.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)