Most new cars must be electric by 2030, ministers told

The place to discuss everything else..
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Latest orders ............................

johnd

Post by johnd »

TBH that doesn't surprise or scare me too much:

'most' is simply any % >50%

'by 2030' is still 12 years off. What car were you (or anyone I mean) thinking of buying in 2005/6? The pace of technological change does not appear to be slowing and cars will continue to evolve every year. If I can buy an eMacan for £50-60K (2018 prices) with Tesla S performance in 2030 (assuming I'm still here :shock: ) with 500 mile range, 20min charging and an adequate nationwide charging network then I probably won't be too unhappy.
Last edited by johnd on Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Do they mean ALL electric or just part electric. If it’s the former there’s not a snowballs chance.

I noted last week that only a handful of Councils has actually taken advantage of the Government fund to create recharging points. 👏🏼👏🏼
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Three-fifths of new cars must be electric by 2030 to meet greenhouse gas targets, ministers have been warned.

The committee wants 30% to 70% of new cars to be ultra-low emission by 2030, as well as up to 40% of new vans, as part of efforts to phase out sales of conventional petrol and diesel versions by 2040.

Currently, fewer than 5% of new car sales are "alternatively fuelled", which also includes hybrid models.

On the BBC ......... so must be true :?
Col M

Post by Col M »

Probably by then I could cope with a car which is 3-5ths electric🤔. My travel pattern is a couple of 40mile round journeys for work and a 400+ trip at the weekend for birding. With a communal parking area plug in charging is not possible so hybrid seems like my only route.
Expired Porsche code PJVNAUH5 Rhodium SD :roll: Agate & Pebble
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

ScotMac wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:09 pm Three-fifths of new cars must be electric by 2030 to meet greenhouse gas targets, ministers have been warned.
The recent MIT study of lifetime vehicle emissions concluded that ALL future cars needed to be fully electric to have any chance of meeting long term targets and even then I think they were a little short. I doubt the change will happen fast enough and these targets will almost certainly not be met.
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

My son has about 6 electric cars so he is well ahead of the game, and all at age 10!!!

Does it matter they are all Scalextric cars :lol: :lol: :lol:
Col M

Post by Col M »

That explains the slots they're currently digging in my street! They said that it was for the new houses.
Expired Porsche code PJVNAUH5 Rhodium SD :roll: Agate & Pebble