AMG C63 Estate v Macan Turbo

The place to discuss everything else..
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

I've been wondering lately if we should have gone for a Mercedes AMG C63 (or C43) Estate, rather than a Macan Turbo.

Has anyone of you good people come from or gone to a fast estate car?

We have a dog, so an estate or a SUV is a big advantage. The Macan is a bit shorter with more ground clearance which is handy for those bumpy countryside car parks in the woods. :P

On the other hand a fast estate is more streamlined for a hoon through Germany, and being lower, easier for an older dog to get into and handles better than a SUV.

First world problems, I know! :lol:
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0

Retired

Post by Retired »

Thought about an AMG when buying a Macan but put off by a couple if things:

Getting the power down esp when damp / wet. Had a 535D BMW which would just light up the rear wheels so easily in the wet. A C class AMG would, I assume, be even worse.

AMG cars depreciate really badly.

When deciding on the Macan drove an Audi RS6 (4WD) , brutally fast but 'wooden' to drive no fun.

Suppose an RS4 /S4 would give advantage of 4WD and in the latest incarnation might be fun to drive.
Macananon

Post by Macananon »

My mate has decided to go for an estate rather than a Macan, for the reasons you outline. As good as the Macan is, it is no match for a performance estate. Physics decides on that. and you can still load as much stuff into it as you can a Macan.

The car he is going for is a 5 series touring of the latest derivative. I was impressed when I saw and rode in it the other day.
Virage11

Post by Virage11 »

I have had a couple of fast estates, the most recent being an RS6 in 2016. I also had a new E63S estate on loan over a long weekend a couple of months ago which was mightily impressive and more engaging than the RS6.

Its an interesting question. For me, if I wanted a family friendly high powered car...on paper I can see the attraction of the fast estate. They are typically more powerful and have the potential (here I am thinking new E63) to handle rather better than an SUV given the lower centre of gravity and the introduction of more sports tuned tech (e.g. the current 4WD drive system on the E63).

BUT - for me - if I need a car with space, I prefer the more practical higher driving position of an SUV. If I want a sportscar, I drive a sportscar. I love the feeling of going relatively quick in a [sporty] SUV because of the strangeness of driving / handling that fast in a car which really shouldnt be that competent. In comparison, the E63S just felt like a pretty good sportscar until I looked in the mirror and saw the big boot - but it obviously wasnt as fleet as a proper sportscar given the weight / layout penalty. So far similar money, would I have a Macan GTS (or a more expensive Turbo) or a faster C63S estate...GTS all day (even ignoring badge factor).
Current Porsches: 991.2 GT3 RS
Previous Porsches: Macan x4 (one of each), Panamera x2, 996x2, 997x2, Cayenne S, Boxster S, Cayman S x2, Boxster Spyder, 991.1 Turbo S, 991.2 GT3 (manual), 718 Cayman GTS (PDK)
Others: way too many...
alxgb

Post by alxgb »

Semerka wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:22 pm Has anyone of you good people come from or gone to a fast estate car?

We have a dog, so an estate or a SUV is a big advantage. The Macan is a bit shorter with more ground clearance which is handy for those bumpy countryside car parks in the woods. :P
There is only one marque to buy from Stuttgart in my experience. :D

I tried out an Alpina D3 for a week, Sytners lent me one but my wife absolutely hates BMWs but it was a good car. Felt a bit old on the interior compared to current Porsche and my VW. The seats were not that comfortable over distance despite being 'fine leather' and all that. Mercedes are just incapable of selling me a car and I gave up on them so they sent me to Brooklands in apology where I managed to get 6MPG out of an E63 saloon on their handling circuit. Lovely sound and fun car but didn't do much for me. Not that remarkable and certainly not worthy of the price tag in my opinion. Maybe some 'bahn storming might have changed my mind but it's a bit bling for my preferences.

I take my dog in all my cars. We drove up to Norfolk for a walk on Brancaster beach this morning. I didn't have any problems and he doesn't complain if I go a bit quick unlike my wife. I'm out with the snow foam and pressure washer this afternoon though, it looks like I've been rallying...

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

There is no way any performance in a C series if any kind is going to make it worth having to look at what is a butt ugly car outside but inside it take fag packet design to the ultimate level.

A dogs dangle bits are far more attractive to look at than the inside of a C series.

The sad fact is that for a fast Estate there are not any that I know of that are a complete package, all have major limitations except one.

If you want performance, space and quality it has to be a Cayenne or a Panamera ST.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

We had a 5 series touring (530d) and then went to the Macan. I like the idea of the new RS4 but not sure if I would spend that much money on one.

It’s likely for our next change that we will swap my wife’s city car for something like a golf GTI and then swap the Macan for something sporty like a 911 of some description. If not that route, I would buy another Macan, but a GTS or Turbo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

Thank you for the comments. :)

I agree that Mercedes is a bit bling on the inside nowadays. But I do like the engine in the C63, hence the Mercedes was mentioned.

Is that a Cayman R, alxgb? Indeed it needs a good wash now!
We have a Labrador, though I'm sure he would happily sit in the front. :lol:

I would love a Panamera ST, Col Lamb, but they are too expensive and too large really. I sat in one on Saturday, a lovely place to be.

Audi RS4 Avant would fit the bill too, but it is expensive for that size of engine.

I hope to keep the Macan Turbo for a good while as swapping cars is expensive, I was just wondering if other people were making similar choice.
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
VanB

Post by VanB »

I tend to agree with Co that the Panamera ST would be a great choice and I would never touch another Mercedes. The sporting estate seems to be a class of car that is currently lacking in credible options so there is certainly an opportunity for someone there.

Semerka, aren't all Porsches a little bit price toppish for what they are? Not much out there to rival them though in terms of driver engagement and quality.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Nosmo

Post by Nosmo »

This is what AutoCar journalist thought of the E63 AMG estate. Don't know whether it is relevant to the comparable discussion with a Macan. Clearly tested against other sports marques.

It's an odd car to mix in with the rest of the field although this is admitted in the video.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-video/vid ... -car-named
Deposit paid 14/12/13 - Picked up on 14/03/15.PF9FZLV2
GTS: PHVVUV96 Picked up on 16/06/16
Cayman GTS on order - due for delivery Nov '18