Belfast OPC opening event

The place to discuss everything else..
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Had an email this morning inviting me and a guest to the opening of the new Belfast premises on Friday 9 March. Have been to these type of events for BMW and "lesser" brands but wondered what the Porsche event will be like.

Main question I guess is whether kids are welcome, my son is car mad and has been treated like a VIP when we visit the dealership and would love the event I'm sure but would him being there be frowned upon. He is aged 11 and big sis is 13 who would likely feel left out if she didn't come. So along with my wife that would be 4 of us.

I'm not into mega posh events or anything like that, I'm a down to earth kinda guy who can just about nearly afford a Macan so don't want to feel like a fish out of water either.

I'm sure plenty of you guys have been to these type of events before and maybe even been to ones at Belfast before so would be good to know what to expect.

And rumour is that Rab J will be driving his new 911 out of the showroom that night followed by a few swift donuts in the carpark :lol: :D .

Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Haven't been to Belfast, but saw a few children at launch events at Swindon (718 Boxster) and Tewkesbury (Panamera). :)

As most new Porsches sold are 'family' SUVs now, it would be short sighted of an OPC to frown on well-behaved children attending.
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Cheers WC and that was my thinking too. They will be mega well behaved, its not like they are aged 2 or 3 and likely to kick off with a hissy fit.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

MCDK wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:45 am Cheers WC and that was my thinking too. They will be mega well behaved, its not like they are aged 2 or 3 and likely to kick off with a hissy fit.

Two potential Porsche buyers of the future...! ;)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
happy days

Post by happy days »

Well MCDK. I got my invite this morning and will be attending with Mrs Happy.

I was at the last Panamera event in the old showroom. It was full of 'Porsche-type' customers swanning around and as I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, being a grade-A piss taker and a general down to earth type, I thought I'd be a bit out of place. However, it was all very nice. Mrs H had a good laugh at some of the garb the 'Porsche-type' wives were wearing and there was free wine, there was a band playing (who were pretty good) and the canapes were lovely. What's not to like?

TBH I was looking forward to the invitation to attend as Carl and I like to share a filthy joke or two in private whenever we meet.

All the SEs were there, however I didn't get speaking to my guy Richard very much as he was pretty busy all night. We did speak briefly, though. The mechanics (or what they're called these days) were all there too in their new branded clothes and every one I spoke to didn't really want to be there. Not customer facing types, I found! The service staff were there, including one new young lady to whom Mrs H and I were introduced by Stephen. In fact, it was all rather jolly.

Carl and the UK sales manager gave a speech (very short, thankfully) and Carl introduced a racing driver who won something in a 911. The formal proceedings were over in under 10 minutes.

We should organise a macanforum.com informal meet-up that night!
Macan S D
718 S
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

I'm sure they will be welcomed and as you say - Two potential Porsche buyers of the future :D
happy days

Post by happy days »

Oh, btw, there weren't too many children there that night.
Macan S D
718 S
VanB

Post by VanB »

Went to the launch of the 991 at Reading and it was a good evening but didn't see any kids at all although I am sure there would be no problem taking them.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Thanks guys and especially Mr Happy as you have been to a Belfast event. Unfortunately my sales exec left just after I got my car as he was a great guy and really looked after my son showing him all around the place and inviting us down when they had special cars in the showroom. Don't know who his replacement now is after he left as I haven't been in the dealership since delivery but its a bit of a shame that personal touch was lost.

We did have an "incident" on day of delivery in the showroom involving my son, totally the fault of one of the dealers staff and thankfully my son wasn't badly hurt but it did dull his enjoyment of the day. They were very apologetic and showered him with a few gifts to make up but it never really replaces that experience of going with your Dad to pick up his first Porsche. My first trip in the Macan was nearly going to the Hospital A&E department with him but thankfully that wasn't needed. All mostly forgotten now and a nice trip back to the dealership would be good for him to enjoy.
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

ScotMac wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:50 pm I'm sure they will be welcomed and as you say - Two potential Porsche buyers of the future :D
+1
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀