Tesla review online

The place to discuss everything else..
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

smithy37 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:51 pm
Peteski wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:21 pm
smithy37 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:06 pm Well that was a totally unbiased view, not!!!!!
What was actually biased about it? Seemed pretty genuine comments to me.
Aren’t road tests supposed to be subjective? He kept comparing that model to his own & was very disingenuous to anyone who questioned range & charge time.
Electric cars are coming whether we like them or not, but it’s only fair to compare pro’s and con’s.

.....And I loved Red Dwarf!
The review was focused on answering questions about range and time to charge, rather than a full review of the car up against its rivals (of which there are currently none, at least until the Porsche Mission E is available).

Deleted User 1874

nsm3 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:43 pm 1st time I've ever watched anything remotely related to EVs, so found it quite interesting.

Am I thinking correctly, that to do a monthly 600 miles, at 300 w/hr per mile, at say 15p per kW/hr, this car would only cost £27 pcm to run, rather than the £101 pcm I would spend on diesel? Pretty good if correct, but at £30k more than my SD, that's a 34 year payback period?

That comes down to 8 years, if doing 30k pa?
If you look at it entirely on a financial basis as above, then it doesn't make any sense. But there are lots of other benefits of driving an EV like the Model S. The smoothness and instant massive torque of the drivetrain is the first thing that hits you when you drive one. Your SD powertrain is not remotely in the same league. I came from a 911 C4S PDK to a Tesla Model X and I can honestly say the Tesla drivetrain is way ahead of it. It was a total game-changer for me and I certainly wasn't expecting it beforehand.
johnd

Post by johnd »

For anyone interested in EVs there's another FullyCharged video at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k7k3Mzknm8

that talks about the outlook for EVs over the next 12-15 years. Yes, it features comment from people already firmly in the EV stable, but must admit that my perspective is starting to change, though probably 3-4 years before an EV to suit me personally is likely to appear, eg 4.4m 1500kg 4WD SUV.
Last edited by johnd on Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

I had a model X on my bumper last week and once we came off a long sweeper and onto the straight, I couldn't believe just how quickly it went past me!
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
Deleted User 1874

That's a very interesting article john. The part at the beginning about most people presuming that rapid charging is the most important factor before buying an EV and then later realising that they hardly ever use rapid charging is something that I've recently gone through myself. For about 95% of my driving I charge overnight at home, which typically takes 4-5 hours to give a 180 mile range every morning. The only real limiting factor at the moment (at least for Tesla drivers) is a lack of quality destination charging e.g. at hotel carparks. For non-Tesla drivers, the public rapid charging network is a total dog's dinner too. Tesla have a major advantage with their Supercharger network, which is generally very good with coverage improving every year. I may only need to use Superchargers maybe a dozen times per year, but they make light work of longer trips and are much more user friendly than other public chargers.

The other thing he mentioned in the video was EV chargers becoming smarter in managing peak demands in electricity. That article was from Dec 16 and the charger we have just had installed at home actively monitors demand and adjusts its output accordingly to manage peaks. So if for example I plug in at 6 pm when local grid demand is very high, it charges at a slower rate until the demand drops off. In practice I simply don't notice the power management.
johnd

Post by johnd »

Pete, my apologies, I inadvertently linked to an older video from the channel than I intended. Quickly corrected (it's right now), but not sure whether you watched the old or new version - suspect the former because the newer one is Jan 2018.
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
Deleted User 1874

nsm3 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:25 am I had a model X on my bumper last week and once we came off a long sweeper and onto the straight, I couldn't believe just how quickly it went past me!
Yeah, I'm finding that nobody is prepared for how effortlessly quick the Model X actually is. As I said above, the Tesla drivetrain is a total game-changer.
Deleted User 1874

johnd wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:17 am Pete, my apologies, I inadvertently linked to an older video from the channel than I intended. Quickly corrected (it's right now), but not sure whether you watched the old or new version - suspect the former because the newer one is Jan 2018.
No worries, I watched them both now. We know these guys are very pro EV, but I broadly agree with his future predictions. I still can't believe we've actually got a full-on EV already and we skipped straight past hybrids after a few test drives. We have no plans to ever buy another diesel or petrol car in the future. But I know many people are very reluctant to embrace any major change in technology, which will probably hold things back more than some logically predict. Maybe that's something that his prediction may underestimate to some extent? There's also the issue of many people not having the facility to home charge i.e. private and secure off-road parking. That would be, and is, a show-stopper today for a lot of people considering an EV vs ICE.
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Peteski wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:02 pm
johnd wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:17 am
There's also the issue of many people not having the facility to home charge i.e. private and secure off-road parking. That would be, and is, a show-stopper today for a lot of people considering an EV vs ICE.
Living on a terraced street it’s certainly the case for me. And albeit Tesla’s are not for me I’d be more than interested in an E Macan as and when or whatever. The question then remains over charging. My neighbours just run cables across the pavement and whilst there are obvious legal questions I’m now getting up for doing that - for a suitable vehicle. There’s also HM Gov money for local councils to fit neighbourhood charging points but only 5 have applied so far which says a huge amount about local government motivation to encourage a change versus the emissions cash cow.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Deleted User 1874

I wouldn't be happy running a charging cable across the pavement. I just don't see that being practical and obviously open to abuse. We have a charge point installed in the garage so I can charge the car overnight in safety. During the day I just leave it on the driveway unplugged like any other car. So far I haven't had any need to top up charge during the day. If we lived in a property without private off-road parking I simply wouldn't own an EV today. But I'm sure solutions will be found as EVs become more mainstream. Maybe there's a serious commercial opportunity lurking in there?