Tesla review online

The place to discuss everything else..
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Fortunately we live on a quiet cul de sac so vandalism isn’t really an issue - more general safety, especially as there’s always children around. Overnight would probably be OK though especially with a heavy rubber cable guard to lay over it, or maybe something like a clothes prop to hold it in the air. 😳🤓

More seriously, a solution has to be created simply to avoid the mass exclusion of thousands of households. Without a workable solution emissions targets of any almost type are simply unachievable.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀

Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Whoever does come up with a viable cost effective solution for street charging is going to make a lot of money in the next few decades. With new-builds it's probably going to be easier if kerbside power points can be provided up front. It's certainly something house builders should be thinking about, but I bet they aren't! They still haven't understood the benefits of smart lighting yet. Our 1 year old house is now full of redundant light switches and associated wiring.
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

I read recently of one development. Yes one! And don’t get me started on U.K. house building which, in that traditional British way, appears blind or just plain reluctant to embrace modern innovative techniques and technologies. 🤬
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Deleted User 1874

Dandock wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:27 pm I read recently of one development. Yes one! And don’t get me started on U.K. house building which, in that traditional British way, appears blind or just plain reluctant to embrace modern innovative techniques and technologies. 🤬
Yep, they can't see beyond basic bricks and mortar. When you start travelling abroad you start to see how primitive the UK housing industry actually is. You might see a few token gesture box ticking solar panels on a new-build estate, but that's about as far as it goes today. Again I see many commercial opportunities arising from this astounding lack of vision.
happy days

Post by happy days »

Unless it's forced through by building control regulations, it probably won't happen.
Macan S D
718 S
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

happy days wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:28 am Unless it's forced through by building control regulations, it probably won't happen.
Spot on.

I was involved in the Building industry for forty years and the energy efficiency standards are still pretty rubbish, yes they have improved but not enough.

There again the standard of Building is pretty dire, the NHBC system is worthless, there is no effective local sign off of compliance, the list goes on, and on.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Taz

Post by Taz »

The National Grid is planning to introduce superfast chargers
It has identified key sites across the UK that would put 90 per cent of drivers withing 50 miles of a rapid charger, according to the Financial Times.

The plugs, potentially located at services, would be powered to 350kW allowing cars to charge up in five to 12 minutes.

This is almost three times quicker than the fastest 120kW chargers currently available in the UK. These take between 20 and 40 minutes to top up a car.

And superfast chargers are needed for cars to hit their headline-grabbing charging claims.

The 350kW charging points would allow a car to be charged in under 12 minutes
For example, the Jaguar I-Pace claims an 80 per cent charge of its 310-mile range in 45 minutes but no points capable of this currently exist in the UK.

The National Grid hopes its new network will bring charging an electric car down to the average seven minutes spent filling up a car with diesel or petrol.

BUT ................The network would be a huge drain on the UK's power supply though with the points using enough electricity to power 14,000 homes !!!!

But the plugs would be wired directly into the National Grid so there wouldn't be a draw on power in the area.
So when is this ‘old enough to know better’ supposed to kick in ?

Cayenne GTS - Mar 2022
Cayenne S - Aug 2019 to Mar 2022
Macan Turbo - Feb 2018 to Aug 2019
Cayenne S - Apr 2015 to Feb 2018
Cayenne - Jul 2013 - Apr 2015
BMW R1250GS - since Dec 2021
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

To be honest, enough electricity to power 14,000 homes sounds like a huge under estimate, given that there are around 25 million or so homes in the UK. Just 0.056% and therefore pretty insignificant. Surely once electric cars are mainstream, the electricity needed would be vastly more than that required to power just 0.056% of homes in the U.K.?
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Taz

Post by Taz »

It was an article from an on line ‘red top’ newspaper so it’s probably highly inaccurate 🤔
So when is this ‘old enough to know better’ supposed to kick in ?

Cayenne GTS - Mar 2022
Cayenne S - Aug 2019 to Mar 2022
Macan Turbo - Feb 2018 to Aug 2019
Cayenne S - Apr 2015 to Feb 2018
Cayenne - Jul 2013 - Apr 2015
BMW R1250GS - since Dec 2021
Deleted User 1874

The point they miss is that most EVs are charged slowly overnight while parked up, typically at 8 kW. Most Tesla owners only use superchargers on long distance journeys when they really need to. For me, that's maybe a dozen times per year. Home chargers are getting smarter too. The one I have was installed as part of the Electric Nation survey on behalf of the electricity board and monitors its power consumption relative to the local grid, adjusting its power output accordingly. If I plug it in at peak local usage time it automatically limits my usage and then ramps up as the grid demand drops off overnight.

All this talk of super high powered on-road charging is just marketing, playing to the habits of ICE owners. For sure it will be useful on occasion, but destination charging is ultimately way more important. Cars spend up to 90% of their life sitting still, not actually driving around. That's when they need to be charging.