WLTA ( New Emissions test)

The place to discuss everything else..
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

Road haulage industry might have something to say about that. In any case the tax collectors like a scatter gun approach. divide the masses and max the take. Eff fairness.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)

N13LXC

Post by N13LXC »

fuel actually used seems to be the easiest one to monitor, and to implement. Paying at the pump would make people change their driving style more than the upfront nature of VED...
Current: 991.2 GTS, Gtd
Previous: Macan TPP, C350e, B8 RS4 Nogaro, Tiguan, S3, A1, B8 RS4, A5 cab, Golf GTTDI x2, RS Clio 197, TT Cab 1.8T, RS Clio 182, Megane 1.5 dci, Clio 1.5 dci, Astra Merit 1.6 d
VanB

Post by VanB »

N13LXC wrote:fuel actually used seems to be the easiest one to monitor, and to implement. Paying at the pump would make people change their driving style more than the upfront nature of VED...
[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Nosmo

Post by Nosmo »

N13LXC wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:14 pm fuel actually used seems to be the easiest one to monitor, and to implement. Paying at the pump would make people change their driving style more than the upfront nature of VED...
Would people who buy performance cars care about this? I get 20mpg out of the GTS at best (and that's per the trip computer....). I'm not going to change my driving style just because petrol is more expensive. The 98 RON petrol is 10p pl more expensive as it is which doesn't deter me or most of us either. I have worked hard all my life to get to my midlife crisis. I might as well enjoy it. Shrouds don't have pockets.
Deposit paid 14/12/13 - Picked up on 14/03/15.PF9FZLV2
GTS: PHVVUV96 Picked up on 16/06/16
Cayman GTS on order - due for delivery Nov '18
VanB

Post by VanB »

Nosmo wrote:
N13LXC wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:14 pm fuel actually used seems to be the easiest one to monitor, and to implement. Paying at the pump would make people change their driving style more than the upfront nature of VED...
Would people who buy performance cars care about this? I get 20mpg out of the GTS at best (and that's per the trip computer....). I'm not going to change my driving style just because petrol is more expensive. The 98 RON petrol is 10p pl more expensive as it is which doesn't deter me or most of us either. I have worked hard all my life to get to my midlife crisis. I might as well enjoy it. Shrouds don't have pockets.
As a revenue raiser adding a further tax to fuel and scrapping VED is by far the fairest solution. The fact that most people on here probably would neither notice nor care doesn’t mean it wouldn’t work as a replacement for VED

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
N13LXC

Post by N13LXC »

Nosmo wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:31 pm
Nope, but so few people drive Performance cars for it to really matter. The majority will drive cars that claim 50 mpg and return 35 due to heavy right feet, bad driving and short journeys. Add 10-15p/litre and it’ll make a large portion of the people choose more economical cars and try to adapt style to save a few p.

Im with you, i just know i put fuel in the car, it goes, it costs money but no idea what i spend, and couldn’t really care if it’s 120 or 130 per litre!

But if polution is caused/measured by the rate you use fuel, then tax at the pump is the fairest and most accurate way to collect this.
Current: 991.2 GTS, Gtd
Previous: Macan TPP, C350e, B8 RS4 Nogaro, Tiguan, S3, A1, B8 RS4, A5 cab, Golf GTTDI x2, RS Clio 197, TT Cab 1.8T, RS Clio 182, Megane 1.5 dci, Clio 1.5 dci, Astra Merit 1.6 d
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

Moving tax from car to fuel sounds a great idea, but politically a non starter as we have seen many times before.
The next move I believe will be tracking and charging individual vehicles by their mileage. That way the government can differentiate between the private motorist and commercial vehicles. Once big brother is always watching no need for speed cameras or police traps as they'll see every time you exceed the limit no mater where and when. Welcome to the brave new world :(
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
VanB

Post by VanB »

Rab J wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:42 pm Moving tax from car to fuel sounds a great idea, but politically a non starter as we have seen many times before.
The next move I believe will be tracking and charging individual vehicles by their mileage. That way the government can differentiate between the private motorist and commercial vehicles. Once big brother is always watching no need for speed cameras or police traps as they'll see every time you exceed the limit no mater where and when. Welcome to the brave new world :(
Unfortunately I also think this is the way it will go but hopefully time to enjoy the 911 before it does :D
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

VanB wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:54 pm
Rab J wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:42 pm Moving tax from car to fuel sounds a great idea, but politically a non starter as we have seen many times before.
Unfortunately I also think this is the way it will go but hopefully time to enjoy the 911 before it does :D
My thoughts as well Van, if ever there was reason not to wish you were twenty tears younger this is it. :cry:
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
John_M

Post by John_M »

VanB wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:11 pm The only fair way to tax cars is on fuel consumption via an additional tax on fuel and no VED or via a pay per mile based on GPS tracking. The whole CO2 thing is a total nonsense
While doubling of fuel prices would't cause me any issues, there are a lot of people on breadline who have to commute a fair distance for who even a few % increase impacts their life - so I don't think it is fairest to move VED to fuel.

Motorist are already paying a lot on fuel - far more than needed to maintain roads etc., it is about time they started closing loopholes that allow "companies" to avoid paying their fair share.