Tesla Model X initial thoughts

The place to discuss everything else..
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

As some of you will know I surprised even myself last Autumn by ordering a Tesla Model X as our new family SUV. I was all set on a Macan at first until I discovered they are not roomy enough for all our gear and then I considered a Cayenne, but didn’t want to wait for the new model and the old version was looking a bit long in the tooth. So I started looking elsewhere and the new Volvo XC90 was looking like our best bet for a large modern SUV. It was in testing the T8 hybrid that first got me thinking about EVs and the future demise of diesels etc. So to cut a long story short I finished up in the Tesla showroom and started poking around the Model X. Two short test drives later and a long weekend with a loaner and I was hooked. Wife and kids loved it too, so the order went in for a fully loaded 75D.

Now I’ve had chance to live with it for a couple of weeks, I thought I’d write a quick review for anyone interested in EVs and perhaps considering taking the plunge. So here are my initial thoughts as a former petrol head!

Let’s start with the power train. Peak power is around 360 kW which is equivalent to something in the order of 500 hp, but whatever, in the real world it feels like something out of the distant future. The instant torque is nothing short of amazing and remember this is the base model. Actually the next step up 100D is only a fraction quicker off the mark after the latest updates and I couldn’t tell the difference in a back-to-back test. Only the top of the range P100D feels significantly quicker and that is true hypercar performance with 0-60 in 2.9 sec vs 4.7 for the 100D and 4.9 for my 75D. In practice all of them rocket off the line instantly with the most impressive traction control I’ve ever experienced. People often talk about performance of EVs tailing off significantly at high speed, but this thing hauls ass to a ton relentlessly and any drop off beyond that is largely academic. The 75D is actually limited to 130 mph while the others are limited to 155 mph.

So having established that straight line performance is “brisk”, does it handle? Bearing in mind this is a large 2 tonne plus SUV it is surprisingly agile and corners as flat as a pancake. Pitch is also well controlled. Obviously not as nimble as a Macan, but it’s right up there with a Cayenne and well ahead of the big Volvo and anything from Land Rover. Steering feel is predictably numb, but nicely weighted in sport mode and you can place it accurately. Ride is on the firm side of comfortable without being harsh. Not too dissimilar to a typical Porsche ride in that respect. 20” wheels with 45 profile tyres is a good compromise on this car. The optional 22s are pretty, but ride quality suffers a little and they are massively expensive. Overall it’s quite a sporty SUV drive rather than a RR magic carpet.

So what’s the cabin ambience like? Well if you like “period” decor or lots of blingy details then this is not the car for you. But if you like ultra-modern minimalist design then it’s all good news. Some of the wood trim options are pretty dubious and totally at odds with the futuristic styling and the standard gloss black plastic trim looks cheap on a £75+k car. But thankfully the matt carbon trim option looks great and only costs £250. The carbon extends to the centre console and drinks holder covers too and doesn’t look fake. Combined with any of the premium synthetic leather seats it all looks and feels pretty upmarket. The other minor plastic trims feel like premium quality too and perhaps the lowest denominator is the slightly plasticky Mercedes window switches - which are actually okay. The seats are very comfortable and supportive with plenty of adjustment and range. Unlike with Porsche, there are no seat upgrade options, but the standard seats have most bells and whistles you could want. While talking about interior ambience, it’s well worth mentioning the panoramic windscreen that wraps right over your head. It’s one of the first things you notice and gives an amazing impression of light and space while driving or sitting in the front passenger seat. In fact even second row passengers benefit from it since it reaches so far back. Going back to a normal car feels like you are looking out of a letterbox! In short, it’s a very nice place to be if you enjoy modern open-plan living.

Moving onto the dash and tech next, it’s all about the massive touchscreen and additional screen in place of dials. I’m not going to dwell on this as so much has been written elsewhere, but it is all pretty user friendly and the big screen is not at all distracting while driving. The sound system is top notch (we did specify premium sound) and it comes with a premium Spotify account and custom app, which is a nice touch. All very impressive compared to the usual FM and DAB, which are there if you really need them. I’m a bit of an audiophile, so I do appreciate quality hi-if and this is about as good as in-car audio gets. Certainly beats the Bose systems in Porsche and is comparable to the B&W premium option in the Volvo XC90. I expect the top end Porsche Burmester systems are comparable in sound too, but haven’t heard those. But the constant online connection on the move really makes a difference to the functionality and the car comes with its own built in sim and account, so no messing around with data contracts and sims etc. Signal coverage is surprisingly good too and works fine in our village where mobile phones often drop out. I could honestly talk about the tech in this car for days, so I’ll just summarise it all as “next gen” and leave it there. Nothing I’ve seen in a Porsche or pretty much any other car comes close to the Tesla tech experience.

Tesla build quality is often slagged off, but I don’t see what all the fuss is about. I think most of the bad vibes came from early Model X builds, which had all manner of quality issues, but pretty much all of those have since been addressed at the factory. My car is fault free so far, but early days so we shall see. As for subjective quality, it all looks suitably premium to my eyes and to everyone else who has seen it up close so far. I’ll add some photos to this thread when I get chance, but I think it looks great as far as big SUVs go. My wife’s best friend has a current RRS and even she admitted it looked ancient next to the Model X and she’s already thinking about getting one!

So I’m now a Tesla fanboy! So are there any negatives? Thinking hard........... well it is very heavy with all that battery, although it carries it remarkably well. Range is limited to around 150 miles if pressing on, but I can live with that. Unbelievably, for all the tech it doesn’t have a full surround cam view, which it really could do with for close kerb parking. The turning circle is about half a mile too! The windscreen wipers seem a bit flimsy, but work okay. The sun visors are a bit of an afterthought. If you don’t like car park attention (which I don’t) then this could be a real problem. I’ve never had so many people ask me about this car, all positive (so far) but not my thing really. I guess it’s the novelty factor, especially the Falcon doors! One family all stood in shock and awe at Waitrose as we emerged from what might as well have been a UFO. You would probably be okay in London and other big cities where they must now be a fairly common sight, but ours is the only X I’ve seen in and around Towcester. I’ve seen the odd S locally, but they don’t stand out anywhere near as much.

So there you go, any questions fire away!

Macananon

Post by Macananon »

What's its range when towing a 2.5 tonne boat, and can you park a car and trailer at the charging points?
Deleted User 1874

Macananon wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:09 pm What's its range when towing a 2.5 tonne boat, and can you park a car and trailer at the charging points?
See below. It does come as standard with a tow bar and range indeed takes a big hit as you might expect. But might be doable with a 100D. I’m only using ours to tow mountain bikes on a tow bar rack, so haven’t looked into proper towing. I expect charging would be a huge pain.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-x ... ct-towing/
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Pics...? :)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
gtipirelli

Post by gtipirelli »

Great review thanks and very informative. The reality is that most of us at some point later in life will be driving some sort of electric vehicle or our kids certainly will be

Look forward to the pics
Cayenne E Hybrid
718 Cayman S
Previous : Macan 2.0
Col M

Post by Col M »

gtipirelli wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:54 pm Great review thanks and very informative. The reality is that most of us at some point later in life will be driving some sort of electric vehicle or our kids certainly will be

Look forward to the pics
Did mine on a Unigate float 😁
Expired Porsche code PJVNAUH5 Rhodium SD :roll: Agate & Pebble
smithy37

Post by smithy37 »

I watched the “test” on the grand tour and with all the joking aside I thought it looked a tremendous car.
Be good to see some pics.

Just don’t let Robert Llewelyn anywhere near it all he’ll be forever comparing it to his :lol:
Taycan Turbo S
http://www.porsche-code.com/PMPMJ963

Litchfield tuned Porsche Carrera 4 GTS (991.2)

Sold in Jan 2019 - Cayenne Turbo (E3)

Sold in 2018 - Macan Turbo (15):
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Great review 👍

They are very rapid. Nice machine to drive too :D
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Brilliant review Peteski. 👍

It’s nice to hear the quality is of a good standard now as my experience last year was anything but.
I have to say very few build quality issues around in the last few months which is a massive step forward.

Very pleased you are enjoying it.
Enjoy and love to see the pics. 👍
GTS 😀
Deleted User 1874

A few pics

Hosted pics deleted, see attachments on later post
Last edited by Deleted User 1874 on Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.