2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver

Col M

Post by Col M »

Prefer his guitar work.
Expired Porsche code PJVNAUH5 Rhodium SD :roll: Agate & Pebble
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

He has been blabbing away for years with nobody taking any notice of him so why should we change now?

The only time I read AE is in the Dentists waiting room, its so good I can barely put it down when I am called to have root canal work done
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Forget AutoExpress and Mike Rutherford, it's the "...renowned, Michigan-based Centre for Automotive Research..." and "A 2018 Deloite study adds that Brit drivers are among the most enthusiastic for ICEs ....." percentage figures that should be music to all Porsche owners.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Same criteria apply, its American, America is the centre of the Universe nothing else matters.

Deloite are Bean Counters, hence serious flawed to start off with.

Of course ICE will dominate but their dominance will decrease, at least it will in the Western world.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

So we know corporate giants don't give a shit about the environment and only want to maximise their profits. Nothing new there. But if consumers change their perspective and other companies start to take advantage of it as Tesla have to date, then it could well end badly for some of the automotive giants if they hang on to their legacy tech for too long. Having now had a taste of EV performance, I don't see how I would ever want another ICE vehicle or half-arsed hybrid. I'm not even looking at another Porsche until their electric cars arrive. I reckon demand for the new Jaguar iPace is going to be off the clock once people start test driving them and compare the performance against an FPace, especially against the diesels!
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

I thought ICE was the acronym for 'In Car Entertainment'?

I can't keep up!
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
N13LXC

Post by N13LXC »

Peteski wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:20 am So we know corporate giants don't give a shit about the environment and only want to maximise their profits. Nothing new there. But if consumers change their perspective and other companies start to take advantage of it as Tesla have to date, then it could well end badly for some of the automotive giants if they hang on to their legacy tech for too long. Having now had a taste of EV performance, I don't see how I would ever want another ICE vehicle or half-arsed hybrid. I'm not even looking at another Porsche until their electric cars arrive. I reckon demand for the new Jaguar iPace is going to be off the clock once people start test driving them and compare the performance against an FPace, especially against the diesels!
I cant see how (in current capability/capacity) an EV can work for anyone that doesn't live in a city or have access to a charge point at their place of work/location they leave their car?

I've been unlucky enough to drive the Mercedes C350e (PHEV) for the past 2 years and found that range in the winter and on motorways was massively overestimated (friend in a golf GTE has the same issue, and friend in a leaf also). Great for city driving at low speeds with climate control off, but not to be relied on for any accuracy in range, and a waste of time when the speed exceeds 60.
Current: 991.2 GTS, Gtd
Previous: Macan TPP, C350e, B8 RS4 Nogaro, Tiguan, S3, A1, B8 RS4, A5 cab, Golf GTTDI x2, RS Clio 197, TT Cab 1.8T, RS Clio 182, Megane 1.5 dci, Clio 1.5 dci, Astra Merit 1.6 d
johnd

Post by johnd »

N13LXC wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:48 pm I cant see how (in current capability/capacity) an EV can work for anyone that doesn't live in a city or have access to a charge point at their place of work/location they leave their car?
I do think that you have to look a year or two into the future (given that eg an i-Pace order soon probably won't see delivery for 12 months) and not at the past. There's at least two factors in play: One is that the public charging network is being built out at a significant rate and at a guess will probably double in eg 1-2 years' time.

The other is that more realistic range benchmarks are now being enforced. They may still be eg 10% optimistic vs real-life, especially in winter, but not on the scale of the past.

That said, I can see that BEV is probably not going to be a sensible option in the near future for those having to park on-street at night. But those with a driveway who can charge overnight at home and who are going to enjoy a 240+ mile range for cars like the i-Pace, probably Mission E etc, are going to find only the long journeys to require some extra planning. For many, this trade-off will be well worthwhile.
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
Virage11

Post by Virage11 »

Peteski wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:20 am So we know corporate giants don't give a shit about the environment and only want to maximise their profits. Nothing new there. But if consumers change their perspective and other companies start to take advantage of it as Tesla have to date, then it could well end badly for some of the automotive giants if they hang on to their legacy tech for too long. Having now had a taste of EV performance, I don't see how I would ever want another ICE vehicle or half-arsed hybrid. I'm not even looking at another Porsche until their electric cars arrive. I reckon demand for the new Jaguar iPace is going to be off the clock once people start test driving them and compare the performance against an FPace, especially against the diesels!
Teslas are way too expensive currently to be affordable to most drivers - Model 3 may start to change that once it has been out for a few years and you can buy used examples.

iPace pricing is much cheaper but still way more than the vast majority of the public would want to spend...plus we have to assume that they will all go wrong. The new Volvo XC60 hybrid that I borrowed from Volvo UK in November got stuck in electric mode and then couldn't get up a steep hill so got stuck...and that's Volvo...Don't get me wrong, I will be trying an iPace as possible replacement for my wife's Lexus hybrid (which is a terrible hybrid as really its just a petrol engine supplemented by a little electric boost), and so hope that don't have any issues, but history may suggest otherwise.

Ignoring charging access etc., I think EVs will have more mainstream joy when the cheaper options are generally more appealing. The i3 is quite nice but quirky...Zoe is too small...Leaf is :o etc.
Current Porsches: 991.2 GT3 RS
Previous Porsches: Macan x4 (one of each), Panamera x2, 996x2, 997x2, Cayenne S, Boxster S, Cayman S x2, Boxster Spyder, 991.1 Turbo S, 991.2 GT3 (manual), 718 Cayman GTS (PDK)
Others: way too many...