Cars you’ve become attached to ....

The place to discuss everything else..
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

As I think about what car I ultimately swap my Macan for, it made me wonder why I don’t particularly feel any real attachment to it? It’s a great car and I enjoy driving it, but if I sold it, I don’t think I’d really miss it.

Whereas I can think of other cars in the past that I’ve really missed after they’ve gone e.g. my 1998 BMW Z3, my 2002 Audi S3, my 2005 Cayman S, my 2011 Octavia VRS Estate etc. All these cars had something different that were right for the time that made me love them.

What do people think is the secret sauce of a car to fall in love with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Hawkeye on Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.

Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

I know what you mean, Hawkeye. I feel similarly about my Panamera.

My previous automotive 'loves' include my 991.1 C2 (doh!), my little Ford Fiesta XR2, my Mark II Golf GTi and my 1984 BMW 316, after I'd lowered the suspension and fitted rather tasty aftermarket 15" alloy wheels and 205/50 rubber! ;)

The secret sauce? Ah, would be priceless if one could bottle it!
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Miopyk

Post by Miopyk »

I thought I'd keep my 987 Boxster for ever. Had it 8 years and only did 24k miles most of which was road trips through Europe especially Italy. The last year I had it it didn't get used at all and went in to the OPC for a flat battery, while there they gave it a full checkover as the service was due a couple of months later and it needed about £8k spent on it, new coil springs, new hood (it lived outside) and a leak in the door membranes, a common fault. So as we had the Cayman and I'd just bought my first Macan I reluctantly decided to let it go. I do miss it a bit especially when the sun comes out but the Cayman is a better car and is almost certainly a keeper with that glorious 6 cylinder boxer on full song through PSE. As for the sun I bought an SLK diesel for my daily 130 mile commute and while it might sound crap I'm getting an average 50+ MPG and will do for now.

In the past the only other cars I wish I'd kept was my 3.0S Capri and a 944 in Guards Red. I spun the Capri twice on roundabouts in the wet but it was enormous fun and the Cologne V6 sounded wonderful (not as good as the Cayman though). The 944 went all over Europe including a drive to Barcelona from Santander cross country on some fantastic roads and no speed cameras, a truly brilliant car. The wife had an RS2000 and Fiesta Supersport which were good and I should have really liked them but as they were hers I didn't really get the chance to gel with them.
Current
  • Guards Red 981 Cayman
    GT Silver 718 Boxster 25
gtipirelli

Post by gtipirelli »

My Mk1 Golf GTi brings back great memories, had it from age 18 to mid 20’s and long before the amount of speed enforcement and busy roads we have now. I still smile at the fun I had

At present time I have a limited edition MK5 GTi mapped to 300 bhp which absolutely flies, is cheap as chips to insure and is worth so little because of its age hardly depreciates, I can park it anywhere yet still gets admiring glances when polished from those who know their golfs

Plan to swap it for a 911 next year but know that even though the 911 is a totally different animal at a different price point, will not give the ultimate all round smiles the golf gives me. I just have to scratch that 911 itch and luckily I can afford to take the punt
Cayenne E Hybrid
718 Cayman S
Previous : Macan 2.0
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

We'll see about smiles when you've got your 911! I reckon a Porsche 911 will compete with a Golf GTi on smiles per mile! :D
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
johnd

Post by johnd »

My Yeti CR170 (4WD of course) would be my favourite, bought new but too early (2010) to get the DSG gearbox or heated front screen, both of which would have been nice additions. Kept it for 5 years and 50K+ miles.

Again difficult to put one's finger on quite why it worked quite so well for me but it always felt like something of a Goldilocks car. Not too big, not too small...etc etc

170bhp of diesel power and torque in a 1500kg body and with 4wd gave performance that was obviously not in Macan territory but still none too shabby with an 8ish sec 0-60. The cabin was big enough to be perfectly comfortable for 4 adults despite a 4.2m length, albeit with boot space that was limited but actually not too bad once you'd learnt to pack vertically (and of course for transporting anything chunky the rear seats would come out completely).

All modern toys were fitted or available, other than ACC from memory. It was unpretentious, which appeals to me for some reason, but also something of a Q car, which also appealed. It was a compact, easily parked yet go-anywhere car (well not quite to LR standards but still pretty good) with its 4wd, underbody protection, off-road mode etc. But sadly replaced by Skoda with the much more anonymous Karoq.
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
gtipirelli

Post by gtipirelli »

I agree that on a like for like basis there is no comparison

The only thing is that it is hard to quantify the satisfaction you get knowing that the stone chips you are getting are of no consequence, if it is damaged in the car park it is no consequence, you can throw junk in it and go to the tip, the kids can make bit of a mess in the back and all the while it is super quick, handles well and if I throw it in to a ditch the write off value is negligible. I can also put loads of miles on it and it will hardly depreciate now

There is no logical sense in swapping but I still will 😀
Cayenne E Hybrid
718 Cayman S
Previous : Macan 2.0
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Isn’t it amazing? The things that make us love a whole range of different cars.

I forgot to mention my 1985 Red MG Metro. Exactly 1 year after I bought it, the MOT test centre refused to let me drive it away stating it was the worst car they’d ever seen (rusted through underneath!). I still loved that car!

No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
Virage11

Post by Virage11 »

Hawkeye wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:04 pm
I forgot to mention my 1985 Red MG Metro. Exactly 1 year after I bought it, the MOT test centre refused to let me drive it away stating it was the worst car they’d ever seen (rusted through underneath!). I still loved that car!

Awesome!

Mine is a TVR Cerbera 4.5 in British racing green ...1998 car 450bhp manual fibreglass body...awesome in the dry, dangerous in the wet...used as my daily commute for most of 1999! Numerous small electrical issues and rear suspension snapped...otherwise totally reliable...I didn't care though. Noise and steed were outstanding, particularly given it was 20 years ago!
Current Porsches: 991.2 GT3 RS
Previous Porsches: Macan x4 (one of each), Panamera x2, 996x2, 997x2, Cayenne S, Boxster S, Cayman S x2, Boxster Spyder, 991.1 Turbo S, 991.2 GT3 (manual), 718 Cayman GTS (PDK)
Others: way too many...
Paul

Post by Paul »

(No laughing please!)
B reg Black MG metro Turbo....quite a rare beast but great fun to chuck around - left foot braking to keep the boost on and that “legendary” hydragas suspension...😂
..good for 70 mph in third👍
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465