Hybrid & Tesla

The place to discuss everything else..
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Wing Commander wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:51 pm
Col Lamb wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:04 am ...Roll on 15 months and now I would have no problem buying an EV and in fact I cannot see me buying anything but an EV...

So have no fear, order that X or Model 3 today...

Have you been ‘recruited’ by Peteski, Col? ;) :lol:
Not at all Simon.

I was impressed by the Beamer i3 that I test drove.

Not yet driven a Tesla but the next time I drop off my Mrs in Manchester to meet up with one of her friends the Tesla shop is the next stop.

Currently its the Mini EV that could appeal when it arrives next year.

Also keep meaning to go to the Jag dealer (it is only a mile away) to see about a drive of an iPace.

The future is bright the future is electric.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags

Macananon

Post by Macananon »

I can see the future a being ev, and then the govt will whack on a big tax on e cars to make up for the loss of fuel duty.
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Came across an interesting article about future predicted battery life - and its possible impact on depreciation!

https://www.designnews.com/materials/wi ... 0601859495
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Peteski wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:55 pm
goron59 wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:13 pm I kind of like that that a Leaf is 200kg lighter than the small range Model 3 and 6-700kg lighter than an S.
Energy efficiency is still a thing in a post-ICE world and it will be a very long time before energy is completely impact- and polution-free.

The BMW i3 is 200kg lighter than the Leaf.

Sure the range is not as good, but BEV fans keep telling is that you don't really need the range if you've got an overnight charge capability.
The Leaf and i3 both have their place in the market. But it's the Model 3 that will appeal to buyers currently driving around in BMW 3 series, Audi A4, Merc C class etc. It's not that much heavier than a 3-series either and the performance is very strong. I'm looking forward to trying one out when they land in the UK next year. In the meantime I tried to get my wife to look at an i3, but she totally dismissed it. Too quirky for her taste, but I quite like it as a local runabout. The Leaf simply doesn't interest either of us.
Much of the debate around charging capacity of the local network has assumed one car charging overnight. What would the power demand be for two, or even three, EVs charging on the drive?
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Col Lamb wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:30 pm
I was impressed by the Beamer i3 that I test drove.
I do remember your positive comments about the i3 last year.
johnd

Post by johnd »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:52 am Much of the debate around charging capacity of the local network has assumed one car charging overnight. What would the power demand be for two, or even three, EVs charging on the drive?
It's a fair question, but you have to look at the pattern of use of the cars. It will obviously depend on individual circumstances and schedules, but the typical car won't do more than eg 50 miles a day on average (~18K miles/year), ie about 2-3 hours charging from a 7kW domestic charger. So with 2 cars there would be no problem with charging them on alternate nights for instance. Other solutions like charging one early evening and the other overnight are also obviously possible
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

johnd wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:07 am
Nuclear Nick wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:52 am Much of the debate around charging capacity of the local network has assumed one car charging overnight. What would the power demand be for two, or even three, EVs charging on the drive?
It's a fair question, but you have to look at the pattern of use of the cars. It will obviously depend on individual circumstances and schedules, but the typical car won't do more than eg 50 miles a day on average (~18K miles/year), ie about 2-3 hours charging from a 7kW domestic charger. So with 2 cars there would be no problem with charging them on alternate nights for instance. Other solutions like charging one early evening and the other overnight are also obviously possible
As one of the coming underclass without a drive I love this.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
johnd

Post by johnd »

Dandock wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:23 am As one of the coming underclass without a drive I love this.
Something I've never really thought about but yes I guess the wider use of EVs is going to add some premium to a house's price if it has a drive/garage/parking space that enables easy charging (and especially if a charger is already installed).
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

johnd wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:57 am
Dandock wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:23 am As one of the coming underclass without a drive I love this.
Something I've never really thought about but yes I guess the wider use of EVs is going to add some premium to a house's price if it has a drive/garage/parking space that enables easy charging (and especially if a charger is already installed).
Does the installed charger include a lifetime's supply of disposable gloves to handle the dirty EV cable / plug? Oh no! they're made of plastic so that's not environmentally friendly either!
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Why is there the need to charge an EV every day?

As rapid charging stations proliferate more then even those with no home charging capabilities are or will be served.

Preston Porsche will open next Spring and their location is such that dropping off the Macan EV to charge and going for a walk around the dock area, the shops, or the pub or simply to take onboard a freebie coffee is possible.

Cheshire Oaks Porsche is right next to a large out of town Shopping Centre so plenty to do whilst a charge occurs, same with my own OPC in Kendal, its a five minute walk into town.

It usually takes about 3/4 hour from arriving to leaving the Supermarket so if they have charging stations, problem is easily sorted.

A self driving EV car is even easier to charge, it could be programmed to drive off to a central facility, wait its turn to charge and to drive back and park outside your home when fully charged.

OK so a slight change of lifestyle may be required but it is possible.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags