Hybrid & Tesla

The place to discuss everything else..
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Dandock wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:39 pm
Peteski wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:33 pm
Dandock wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:14 pm

There should be no need to go for a walk as the Porsche charging facility will include refreshments, a lounge area and other typical Porsche customer stuff.

No nasty coffee and fast food outlets there.
I wonder how many rapid charging points they intend to install at a typical OPC? Is it going to be a token gesture 1 or 2 points or proper banks of 6 or 8 rapid chargers? I strongly expect the former given how few Taycans will be out in the wild in the next couple of years, but once they start producing higher volume EVs I doubt they will want loads of them freeloading at the OPC on a regular basis. Tesla don't have rapid chargers at any of their service centres, usually just a few regular domestic 8 kW chargers for cars in service and for charging new cars ready for delivery etc. It's really motorway and major A-road services where you want to find rapid chargers, directly en-route to your destination.
My understanding is of a substantial investment involving multiple chargers, lounge & business facilities etc. Tewkesbury OPC are increasing the size of their current site by, perhaps, 25% - possibly more.
Sounds good. Is that Porsche investing or something this particular dealer franchise has come up with? I see it's located directly on the M5 in a business location, so probably a good fit there. They just need some actual EVs to go with it.

Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Peteski wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:48 pm
Dandock wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:39 pm
Peteski wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:33 pm

I wonder how many rapid charging points they intend to install at a typical OPC? Is it going to be a token gesture 1 or 2 points or proper banks of 6 or 8 rapid chargers? I strongly expect the former given how few Taycans will be out in the wild in the next couple of years, but once they start producing higher volume EVs I doubt they will want loads of them freeloading at the OPC on a regular basis. Tesla don't have rapid chargers at any of their service centres, usually just a few regular domestic 8 kW chargers for cars in service and for charging new cars ready for delivery etc. It's really motorway and major A-road services where you want to find rapid chargers, directly en-route to your destination.
My understanding is of a substantial investment involving multiple chargers, lounge & business facilities etc. Tewkesbury OPC are increasing the size of their current site by, perhaps, 25% - possibly more.
Sounds good. Is that Porsche investing or something this particular dealer franchise has come up with? I see it's located directly on the M5 in a business location, so probably a good fit there. They just need some actual EVs to go with it.
It’s a Porsche thing in Europe and the US and guess eventually across their whole market.

Their system is in collaboration with, I believe, Ford, Mercedes and presumably VW/Audi.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Peteski wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:10 am
SAC1 wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:19 am
johnd wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:57 am

Something I've never really thought about but yes I guess the wider use of EVs is going to add some premium to a house's price if it has a drive/garage/parking space that enables easy charging (and especially if a charger is already installed).
Does the installed charger include a lifetime's supply of disposable gloves to handle the dirty EV cable / plug? Oh no! they're made of plastic so that's not environmentally friendly either!
I see now resorting to raising total non-issues as an argument against EVs :lol:

Personally I don't exactly miss the smell of diesel on my hands after filling up at the pumps. Or the queueing behind people choosing fags or doing their weekly shopping. Or those times when you have an empty tank while running late or it's pissing down with rain and you are forced to stop for fuel. Things you just put up with for years, but really notice the benefits when you suddenly don't have to. My charger cable doesn't even get dirty in the garage :lol:
I do not get any diesel smell either as the filling stations that I use are outdoors - plenty of fresh air - and they provide foc gloves. ;) :lol:

It's still much better than the experience here of using public EV chargers:

2018-09-20 18.19.34.jpg

Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

SAC1 wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:30 pm

Does the installed charger include a lifetime's supply of disposable gloves to handle the dirty EV cable / plug? Oh no! they're made of plastic so that's not environmentally friendly either!
I see now resorting to raising total non-issues as an argument against EVs :lol:

Personally I don't exactly miss the smell of diesel on my hands after filling up at the pumps. Or the queueing behind people choosing fags or doing their weekly shopping. Or those times when you have an empty tank while running late or it's pissing down with rain and you are forced to stop for fuel. Things you just put up with for years, but really notice the benefits when you suddenly don't have to. My charger cable doesn't even get dirty in the garage :lol:
I do not get any diesel smell either as the filling stations that I use are outdoors - plenty of fresh air - and they provide foc gloves. ;) :lol:

That is very similar to me last week but in my Turbo.

Went to my local fuel station to fill up with Ultimate only for all the Ultimate pumps to be padlocked.

Had to drive a few miles away until I found a Shell garage with Ultimate available.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Col Lamb wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:16 am

That tale of EV charging woes is very similar to me last week but in my Turbo.

Went to my local fuel station to fill up with Ultimate only for all the Ultimate pumps to be padlocked.

Had to drive a few miles away until I found a Shell garage with Ultimate available.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Col Lamb wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:17 am

The would be a pretty rare Shell station Col, serving BP Ultimate! :lol:
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Deleted User 1874

What, the plastic gloves you were complaining about using earlier? :lol:

I'm sure you really enjoy your visits to the pumps and I agree that public EV charging is a PITA. Too many Apps, software bugs, broken chargers, slow charging rates, queues etc. Luckily I never have to use them. Public charging is going to be the main stress test for early iPace, Kona, Porsche, Audi and Merc EV owners when they are away from home. The situation will inevitably improve over the next few years, but the here and now could be a bit of a disappointment for some.
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Chicken and Egg - range anxiety, finding a working public EV charger, length of time to re-charge, non-existent home or office re-charging. These are the major real world limiting factors for a huge proportion of the motoring fraternity.

There is currently a significant price premium on new small to mid sized Evs compared to equivalent size ICE vehicles. Battery life / degeneration and replacement costs will hit the secondhand owners. No wonder EV residuals generally are so poor.

There is no common universal EV charge plug. Surely this will need to be standardised in future.

It will be many years before full EV use is an acceptable solution for the majority. By then the cost to 'fuel' EVs will have risen significantly. The infrastructure costs and loss of petrol /diesel fuel taxation will have to be paid for through substantially increased electric charges and government taxation on EVs.

The BMW i3 and i8 offer a practical motive solution.....but sales numbers of these cars have been relatively small.

Hybrids.....mmm..... don't think these are the solution and are mainly selling because tax advantageous to business users.

So petrol and diesel engined vehicles will still be around for decades to come.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:10 am
Col Lamb wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:17 am

The would be a pretty rare Shell station Col, serving BP Ultimate! :lol:
Ooops that would be V Power then !
Col
Macan Turbo
Deleted User 1874

SAC1 wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:17 am Chicken and Egg - range anxiety, finding a working public EV charger, length of time to re-charge, non-existent home or office re-charging. These are the major real world limiting factors for a huge proportion of the motoring fraternity.

There is currently a significant price premium on new small to mid sized Evs compared to equivalent size ICE vehicles. Battery life / degeneration and replacement costs will hit the secondhand owners. No wonder EV residuals generally are so poor.

There is no common universal EV charge plug. Surely this will need to be standardised in future.

It will be many years before full EV use is an acceptable solution for the majority. By then the cost to 'fuel' EVs will have risen significantly. The infrastructure costs and loss of petrol /diesel fuel taxation will have to be paid for through substantially increased electric charges and government taxation on EVs.

The BMW i3 and i8 offer a practical motive solution.....but sales numbers of these cars have been relatively small.

Hybrids.....mmm..... don't think these are the solution and are mainly selling because tax advantageous to business users.

So petrol and diesel engined vehicles will still be around for decades to come.
I think the fuel mix is going to change somewhat quicker than you think. Plenty of people I know are seriously thinking about or actually have switched to an EV or hybrid in the last 6 months. Our neighbour now has 2 hybrids (although they were early adopters rather than recent converts) and my wife cannot wait to ditch our last remaining diesel car for a second EV.

The i3 and i8 were never going to be big sellers for different but quite obvious reasons. But more practical mainstream EVs and hybrids will sell in very large volumes over the next decade, while diesel sales will seriously decline. I think the change is inevitable and will be exponential. I think even King Canute would be reluctant to argue otherwise!