Hybrid & Tesla

The place to discuss everything else..
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

BigPhil wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:57 pm That's the same for me. I do weekly site visits where I can do 200-300 miles in a day over 3-4 stops, and they could be anywhere. The only EV charging points that I see near me are at South Mimms & Baldock services. I've got on-street parking too so that's a no-go. I also did a 690 mile trip to Cornwall and back in a day last week (not usual, granted) but for me, much as I like the idea, EV is just not there for me yet. Oil burner it is for now.
There are no less than 6 Supercharger stations en-route between South Mimms and Cornwall and you would only have to stop twice in the round trip for no more than 30 mins each time. That would be an easy journey in a Tesla. Your on-street parking is your real problem.

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

A full EV will require a replan of activities if it is going to be used where business mileage is concerned.

There are far more charging bays around than you may think, get the zapmap app and see what there is in the routes you frequent.

For me though the Tesla is a far more attractive proposition than a Pamamera, especially if I was to drive 200-300 miles in a day in either car.

I would need medical assistance to get out of the Panny where the Tesla would be no problem.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
VanB

Post by VanB »

My biggest concern about the whole EV thing and the growth in the number of vehicles on the road is that the charging infrastructure will take a long time to build and whilst 15 minutes to top up the battery doesn't sound long it's an age compared to putting fuel in your tank and that would irritate me. I'm not sure that a practical range of 200 ish miles would be such a big issue if it took 5 minutes to top up and chargers were plentiful and I'm sure that will come. In the meantime I am happy to top up with 98 ron in a couple of minutes and listen to the glorious sound of my engine as I drive away :)
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

VanB wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:11 pm My biggest concern about the whole EV thing and the growth in the number of vehicles on the road is that the charging infrastructure will take a long time to build and whilst 15 minutes to top up the battery doesn't sound long it's an age compared to putting fuel in your tank and that would irritate me. I'm not sure that a practical range of 200 ish miles would be such a big issue if it took 5 minutes to top up and chargers were plentiful and I'm sure that will come. In the meantime I am happy to top up with 98 ron in a couple of minutes and listen to the glorious sound of my engine as I drive away :)
Classic chicken and egg. Councils won’t invest until there’s more EVs and a common charger style and the punters won’t punt until they see a clear road.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
spook

Post by spook »

Forget the fact that a Tesla 3 is an EV, IMO the dash is just pants !

I don't like the stuck on iPad look like Mercedes and now on some Audis but the Tesla 3 does not even have a display in front of the driver, so the driver would have to look right & down to see even their speed.

Now with "audi digital cockpit' and head up displays most of the info the driver requires is in front of you and its just a quick eyes down with no head movement.

Still somebody will buy it (it won't be me) I and did read , last quarters production, Tesla delivered just 1,542 Model 3 cars against a reservation list that is several hundred thousand long and no RH drives will be available until 2019. :o :o

0j5a2279.jpg

Oh I also forget the 70's allegro wood trim :lol: :lol: :lol:
911 C2 Pickup 14th April 2018 :D :D
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJN1HBF2
Pensioner Petrol S - http://www.porsche-code.com/PHMKHZF4 - Deposit place 11/11/14 - Pick up 09/05/16 - SOLD 30/08/17 :-(
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Col Lamb wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:59 pm For me though the Tesla is a far more attractive proposition than a Pamamera, especially if I was to drive 200-300 miles in a day in either car.

I would need medical assistance to get out of the Panny where the Tesla would be no problem.
The Panamera is not as low as a 911, Col. ;)

And with air suspension, it has a 'raised' mode (in addition to normal and lowered modes) to aid with your exit from the car. :)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Wing Commander wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:51 pm
Col Lamb wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:59 pm For me though the Tesla is a far more attractive proposition than a Pamamera, especially if I was to drive 200-300 miles in a day in either car.

The Panamera is not as low as a 911, Col. ;)

And with air suspension, it has a 'raised' mode (in addition to normal and lowered modes) to aid with your exit from the car. :)
Yes Simon.

I drove one at the PEC but it was still to low for my liking, shame as it is a stunner inside and out.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

👍 :)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

Peteski wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:54 am
So do you really feel the need to drive 450 miles without a stop? There are many other benefits of a full EV over a hybrid that, for me anyway, easily outweigh the restricted range. My Tesla (Model X 75D) has a realistic usable range of around 200 miles, which I find more than enough. The lighter Model S 100D is good for a genuine 300 miles. I looked seriously at hybrids (Volvo and Porsche) but once I drove a Tesla I never looked back. It was a total game-changer for me.
[/quote]

"So do you really feel the need to drive 450 miles without a stop?" That's not the point, it was a fact that I had about 450 miles range. That will easily get me to Saint Quentin (320miles and just off the A26) for lunch & fuel at Auchan or Intermarche (no Tesla point though). The Tesla map tells me that from Norwich to Folkestone, I should stop in Maidstone for a 15 min re-charge, then another re-charge in Calais, then another 6, to get to Verona, and if nearing Verona on the Milan/Venice autostrada there is a low range warning, its not the time/place to have such a concern - well not for me anyway!
I admire Tesla tech, but there isn't an EV available today that I would buy*, due to lack of freedom of choice when travelling. In addition, sitting in an S was underwhelming, not at all to the quality of European cars of a similar price. Parked next to my Panamera they were very dull; I'll take German tech, engineering and design every time, esp with the Audi/Porsche hybrid heritage. Delighted that a Tesla suits your needs.

IMG_3653.png

* A Fiat 500e would be ideal for local use. They've been made in the USA for several years now and only for sale in California and Oregon (tax reasons), but used ones are being imported from there into Norway/Sweden/ Germany and offer 100 mile+ range. Fiat do not plan to build it for Europe claiming they lose $14k on every car sold.
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

If I was planning to do Euro trips I would have gone for the bigger battery. A Model X 75D is a worst case scenario for range. It makes a Panny look small inside, so not really a fair comparison. A Model S 100D would be a closer comparison in size and that has an extra 100 mile range over my X. I would be more than happy to take on a Euro trip with the 100 kWh battery in either Tesla, but I agree the 75 kWh is marginal for long haul trips.