Hybrid & Tesla

The place to discuss everything else..
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Peteski wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:48 pm
Dandock wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:39 pm
Peteski wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:33 pm

I wonder how many rapid charging points they intend to install at a typical OPC? Is it going to be a token gesture 1 or 2 points or proper banks of 6 or 8 rapid chargers? I strongly expect the former given how few Taycans will be out in the wild in the next couple of years, but once they start producing higher volume EVs I doubt they will want loads of them freeloading at the OPC on a regular basis. Tesla don't have rapid chargers at any of their service centres, usually just a few regular domestic 8 kW chargers for cars in service and for charging new cars ready for delivery etc. It's really motorway and major A-road services where you want to find rapid chargers, directly en-route to your destination.
My understanding is of a substantial investment involving multiple chargers, lounge & business facilities etc. Tewkesbury OPC are increasing the size of their current site by, perhaps, 25% - possibly more.
Sounds good. Is that Porsche investing or something this particular dealer franchise has come up with? I see it's located directly on the M5 in a business location, so probably a good fit there. They just need some actual EVs to go with it.
Had a good chat with the Centre principal at OPC yesterday and perhaps unsurprisingly he tempered the what I’d been told by my SE. The facility is actually going to be in part of an existing parking area with use of OPC facilities as are.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀

SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

UK new car sales for Jan - June 2018
BEV: 28,807
Hybrid; 44,040
Diesel: 428,612
Petrol: 812,535

Market share
BEV =2%
Diesel - 32%

Keeping the BEV bandwagon in perspective :lol:
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Its all well and good deriding the EV market, but that will get you nowhere, they are the future.

EV will gain in sales figures massively, not in the next few years but as sure as eggs are eggs in 10 years time the sales numbers will be different.

Attitudes will change as a result of the quiet clean effortless drive that an EV gives compared to the liquid fuel motors. No more putting the foot down and frantically pulling paddles, simply push and go. As and when induction pads are developed there will be no need to even handle cables, what could be more simple.

EV will rule, of that have no doubt.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Col Lamb wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:09 am Its all well and good deriding the EV market, but that will get you nowhere, they are the future.

EV will gain in sales figures massively, not in the next few years but as sure as eggs are eggs in 10 years time the sales numbers will be different.

Attitudes will change as a result of the quiet clean effortless drive that an EV gives compared to the liquid fuel motors. No more putting the foot down and frantically pulling paddles, simply push and go. As and when induction pads are developed there will be no need to even handle cables, what could be more simple.

+1. All that’s needed is a mutually compatible infrastructure to feed off.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Col Lamb wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:09 am Its all well and good deriding the EV market, but that will get you nowhere, they are the future.

Great. Does that mean we can all stop talking about it for at least 10 years then. Some people would have you believe that you can only replace with one of these vacuum cleaners NOW.

Let's please keep perspective and balance on this BEV discussion.

Interestingly within 4 miles of where I live there are two new 'petrol stations' being built on separate A-roads. One Shell and one BP. Both will have 24/7 mini-supermarkets (Budgens and M&S Food respectively) too, but neither is making electric vehicle re-charging facility provision. One is next to a Travelodge and new Starbucks and the other at the entrance to a large new commerce park that includes a Premier Inn and recent Beefeater restaurant. All of these have large car parks, yet none of these have chargers either.
Steve

johnd

Post by johnd »

SAC1 wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:46 pm Interestingly within 4 miles of where I live there are two new 'petrol stations' being built on separate A-roads. One Shell and one BP. Both will have 24/7 mini-supermarkets (Budgens and M&S Food respectively) too, but neither is making electric vehicle re-charging facility provision. One is next to a Travelodge and new Starbucks and the other at the entrance to a large new commerce park that includes a Premier Inn and recent Beefeater restaurant. All of these have large car parks, yet none of these have chargers either.
Yes, I agree, very curious isn't it, though if they're urban/semi-urban areas then I'm less surprised - most of the newer chargers will I suspect be at more rural stopping-off points or intersections on the A-road network rather than in towns.

But what would surprise me more would be if the electrical provisioning for any newly redeveloped sites (which would presumably be 3-phase and reasonably chunky anyway) hasn't factored in some extra margin for future EV chargers. It would then only be a few days' work by contractors to install the actual chargers as and when the owners judge that there's enough demand to make it cost-effective (very possibly as a part of a deal with one of the main charging networks).
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Johnd

Rural - near the cross roads of the north / south A36 and east / west A361. Mid-way between the M4 and Salisbury. In the middle of the Mendips / Cotswolds / Salisbury Plain triangle.

Precious few public charge points now and just where you would think they are needed for travellers on these long distance busy routes.
Steve

johnd

Post by johnd »

Rearguard action from big oil? Not going to do much good though - it's not as if there's a shortage of sites to install chargers. Reminds me of:

"The horse is here to stay but the automobile is only a novelty – a fad.” — President of the Michigan Savings Bank advising Henry Ford’s lawyer, Horace Rackham, not to invest in the Ford Motor Company, 1903
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Zap Map shows a fair number of charging locations within the Mendip/Cotswold/Salisbury plain area

If one considers just how long full EVs have been on the road the charging locations has already grown at a very significant rate.

Lets remember one of the main if not the main driving force in the switch to EV is to improve the quality of air in our Towns and Cities, there is no way any petrol engine can help in this matter.

Only EV will help to give your children safer air to breathe as the undertake their urban schooling and activities.

Sooner or later there will be a total ban on liquid fuelled vehicles entering City and Town centres within specific times.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Just the unfortunate families living near the power stations will suffer instead... ;)

To a certain extent, is this not simply moving the pollution (from built up urban areas) to the location of where the power is generated (as not all power will be generated by renewables) and nuclear power has its own issues...

The term zero-emmision vehicle is very misleading in my opinion.
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018