Hybrid & Tesla

The place to discuss everything else..
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

There was a Tesla demo day where I went today so I photobombed their show in my hybrid. I got there with only 5 miles of battery power left but was showing over 450 miles range from my full tank of fuel, (probably 380 in real world driving). No Tesla driver will see that range however quick the battery is charged.

D283F6CA-BDB8-4AF3-B8DB-33176FE98F9B.jpeg

"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16

Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Panamera looks more classy, sporty and imposing! ;)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

The Tesla looks very ordinary, just like a run of the mill Japanese saloon really
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Wing Commander wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:49 pm Panamera looks more classy, sporty and imposing! ;)
Totally agree.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Have to say having driven the panamera hybrid recently it’s a fab drive.
And just as great for all passengers.

Agree the Tesla looks very Japanese and dated 😳
GTS 😀
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Bigboyrolo wrote:There was a Tesla demo day where I went today so I photobombed their show in my hybrid. I got there with only 5 miles of battery power left but was showing over 450 miles range from my full tank of fuel, (probably 380 in real world driving). No Tesla driver will see that range however quick the battery is charged.
Love the fact you’ve crashed their event, brilliant! [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Bigboyrolo wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:45 pm There was a Tesla demo day where I went today so I photobombed their show in my hybrid. I got there with only 5 miles of battery power left but was showing over 450 miles range from my full tank of fuel, (probably 380 in real world driving). No Tesla driver will see that range however quick the battery is charged.
So do you really feel the need to drive 450 miles without a stop? There are many other benefits of a full EV over a hybrid that, for me anyway, easily outweigh the restricted range. My Tesla (Model X 75D) has a realistic usable range of around 200 miles, which I find more than enough. The lighter Model S 100D is good for a genuine 300 miles. I looked seriously at hybrids (Volvo and Porsche) but once I drove a Tesla I never looked back. It was a total game-changer for me.
N13LXC

Post by N13LXC »

Peteski wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:54 am
Bigboyrolo wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:45 pm There was a Tesla demo day where I went today so I photobombed their show in my hybrid. I got there with only 5 miles of battery power left but was showing over 450 miles range from my full tank of fuel, (probably 380 in real world driving). No Tesla driver will see that range however quick the battery is charged.
So do you really feel the need to drive 450 miles without a stop? There are many other benefits of a full EV over a hybrid that, for me anyway, easily outweigh the restricted range. My Tesla (Model X 75D) has a realistic usable range of around 200 miles, which I find more than enough. The lighter Model S 100D is good for a genuine 300 miles. I looked seriously at hybrids (Volvo and Porsche) but once I drove a Tesla I never looked back. It was a total game-changer for me.
Had a think about your theory (from other posts) around driving continually for 300 miles...that's not what the problem is. The problem is more evident on staggered journeys, where for instance, you start from home with a fully charged car then drive c. 60 miles to 1st destination, do what you need, then drive another 60 miles to your next place, then go in reverse and do 100 miles home (giving 20 miles grace on the way home here...) if there's no chargers available at stop 1 & 2 then you're falling right in the area of range anxiety.

Of course, you could stop if there's a charger on your route, but where there's not or your journey is time sensitive, it's just not practical to use an EV.

I do that journey every Friday for clarity, not the norm, and not daily, but a regular occurrence. if I need fuel, I can stop for it - it's readily available and takes less than 5 mins to get fuel enough to progress...
Current: 991.2 GTS, Gtd
Previous: Macan TPP, C350e, B8 RS4 Nogaro, Tiguan, S3, A1, B8 RS4, A5 cab, Golf GTTDI x2, RS Clio 197, TT Cab 1.8T, RS Clio 182, Megane 1.5 dci, Clio 1.5 dci, Astra Merit 1.6 d
BigPhil

Post by BigPhil »

That's the same for me. I do weekly site visits where I can do 200-300 miles in a day over 3-4 stops, and they could be anywhere. The only EV charging points that I see near me are at South Mimms & Baldock services. I've got on-street parking too so that's a no-go. I also did a 690 mile trip to Cornwall and back in a day last week (not usual, granted) but for me, much as I like the idea, EV is just not there for me yet. Oil burner it is for now.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PH96VJA6
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

N13LXC wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:43 pm
Had a think about your theory (from other posts) around driving continually for 300 miles...that's not what the problem is. The problem is more evident on staggered journeys, where for instance, you start from home with a fully charged car then drive c. 60 miles to 1st destination, do what you need, then drive another 60 miles to your next place, then go in reverse and do 100 miles home (giving 20 miles grace on the way home here...) if there's no chargers available at stop 1 & 2 then you're falling right in the area of range anxiety.

Of course, you could stop if there's a charger on your route, but where there's not or your journey is time sensitive, it's just not practical to use an EV.
Yes, that could be an issue depending on route and destination charging facilities. But I don't do that kind of trip very often and last time I did there was a convenient Supercharger en-route, so I stopped for 15 mins on the way home to top up.

Running an EV does involve a bit of thinking at times, but I think it's well worth it if you can make it work. On a daily basis, it's great to set off every morning with a full charge and not even have to think about fuel stops. When I was running a petrol or diesel car, I often got caught out needing fuel at inconvenient times because I never planned when to fuel. Now I only have to think about it when making longer trips.

I think the biggest issue is for those who have no access to private off-road parking. If you are unable to charge overnight then an EV is a non-starter. Hybrids may not have range issues, but they don't work very well on longer journeys either. Once the battery is flat then you have to use even more fuel than an equivalent petrol/diesel ICE. A test drive of the Volvo XC90 T8 was very disappointing in that respect. Even in mixed driving it barely had a 20 mile electric range. While that's fine for local city driving, it's pretty useless for any longer trips.