Consipiracy theory?

The place to discuss everything else..
Paul

Post by Paul »

Firstly, this theory was exposed to me by a French coach transfer driver last weekend so is to be taken with a large “wink” and probably a few “lols” but you can’t fault the logic (ish)

So, all the recent diesel scandal news, according to our coach driver friend, has been blown up and re-inforced by governments for all the wrong reasons. He argues that modern diesel engines are no worse than modern petrols in terms of nasty stuffs coming out of the exhaust and that the real reason for wanting to reverse the public buying trends back towards petrol is the lack of tax revenue governments have experienced over the years.
He argues that the tax receipt per litre of fuel is roughly the same whether it be petrol or diesel. Therefore the increased fuel economy of a diesel powered car brings in proportionally less tax. For every 100 km travelled a petrol car will burn 10 litres of fuel but a diesel will burn only 6 litres (his example.) Therefore the government are loosing the tax on 4 litres or 40% on every diesel car’s fill-up. Persuading everyone back into petrol cars will reverse the trend and increase tax revenues accordingly.

Well, it kept me entertained on the way back to Geneva airport on Saturday anyway!
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Oh no ...... I’m going to have to try and get my Macan SD back!! [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Probably a bit of truth there :D :D :D
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Not exactly rocket science that theory is it?
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

10 years ago the figures being talked off was 6 Billion short fall, in tax revenues due to diesel!
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊
happy days

Post by happy days »

Now if it had been a taxi driver...
Macan S D
718 S
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

That is why he is a Coach Driver ..... he has been inhaling diesel exhaust fumes for too many years.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

It is the same reason why successive governments were so slow to act against the tobacco industry - too much lost revenue. And still digging their heels in against a minimum price per unit of alcohol. I am not sure how likely it is to be true for the petrol/diesel arguement though!
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

I think most sectors would rub their hands in glee if minimum pricing were applied to them. Do away with those pesky cut throat discounters.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)