Autocar reader letter about trade in prices

The place to discuss everything else..
MacanArif

Post by MacanArif »

I've managed to drive 6 Porsches over the last 3 years for a combined cost of about 10k and that includes depreciation, insurance, tracker, gap insurance etc etc, only thing that I've not included was the fuel.

You all probably know this but this illustrates several things to me:

1. Buying the right model - go for the most desirable version and get in early
2. Don't over spec - Base + 10% unless you are buying a GT3 at which point you can go a little bit crazy
3. Have your next Porsche on order to get the most desirable model early
4. Stick with one dealership, build a relationship - thats what it is all about if you want one of the really low volume cars. Speak to them regularly
5. Always negotiate hard, in a nice friendly way of course. There is always some money to be discounted, I've had a discount on most of my Porsches.(except the GT3 of course). Repeated purchases, of course, are more likely to be offered discounts.
6. When selling a car - try all avenues e.g. auto trader, pistonheads and OPCs - I've sold through all those routes. Also try more than 1 OPC.
Current:
992 Turbo (July 23)
MG4 EV Trophy Long Range
VW Caravelle 6.1 4motion DSG
Suzuki Swift Sport

Previous Macan SD, Macan Turbo, Macan Turbo, 991.1 C4GTS coupe, 996 C4S coupe, Macan Turbo, 991.2 C4GTS coupe; 991.2 GT3; 992 C2S; 991.1 Turbo S

mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

You need to be very careful at not going mad with optional extras and certainly need to be prepared to hang on to the car long term. Trying to sell after a few months is guaranteed to result in eye watering depreciation. By way of example my now departed 2015 Macan diesel barely lost any money between January 2017 and March 2018 although I did of course need to have it serviced in May 2017.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

MacanArif wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:55 am I've managed to drive 6 Porsches over the last 3 years for a combined cost of about 10k and that includes depreciation, insurance, tracker, gap insurance etc etc, only thing that I've not included was the fuel.

2. Don't over spec - Base + 10% unless you are buying a GT3 at which point you can go a little bit crazy
4. Stick with one dealership, build a relationship - thats what it is all about if you want one of the really low volume cars. Speak to them regularly
5. Always negotiate hard, in a nice friendly way of course. There is always some money to be discounted, I've had a discount on most of my Porsches.(except the GT3 of course). Repeated purchases, of course, are more likely to be offered discounts.
6. When selling a car - try all avenues e.g. auto trader, pistonheads and OPCs - I've sold through all those routes. Also try more than 1 OPC.
Agree entirely. Sound advice.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
Taz

Post by Taz »

I have bought three new cars from Porsche Sutton Coldfield / Wolverhampton (same dealership). Every time the service has been exemplorary, the attention to detail by the staff has been exceptional and the prices very acceptable.

I endorse the recommendation to find a good dealer and stick with it.
So when is this ‘old enough to know better’ supposed to kick in ?

Cayenne GTS - Mar 2022
Cayenne S - Aug 2019 to Mar 2022
Macan Turbo - Feb 2018 to Aug 2019
Cayenne S - Apr 2015 to Feb 2018
Cayenne - Jul 2013 - Apr 2015
BMW R1250GS - since Dec 2021
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

MacanArif wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:55 am I've managed to drive 6 Porsches over the last 3 years for a combined cost of about 10k and that includes depreciation, insurance, tracker, gap insurance etc etc, only thing that I've not included was the fuel.

Wise words, Arif. :)

So, in your view and experience, not always necessary to trade your cars in via your OPC to achieve optimum relationship and entry to the VIP 'GT' Club? :geek:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
MacanArif

Post by MacanArif »

Wing Commander wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:34 pm

Wise words, Arif. :)

So, in your view and experience, not always necessary to trade your cars in via your OPC to achieve optimum relationship and entry to the VIP 'GT' Club? :geek:
Hi Simon, no not necessary to trade your cars in via OPC - my experience is that it is more about how many purchases from a dealership. I think it also helps if you take the Porsche Finance, I know it is a higher APR than Clydesdale but if you aren't borrowing large amounts, in my book it's a small extra cost.
Current:
992 Turbo (July 23)
MG4 EV Trophy Long Range
VW Caravelle 6.1 4motion DSG
Suzuki Swift Sport

Previous Macan SD, Macan Turbo, Macan Turbo, 991.1 C4GTS coupe, 996 C4S coupe, Macan Turbo, 991.2 C4GTS coupe; 991.2 GT3; 992 C2S; 991.1 Turbo S
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Thanks, Arif.
Simon

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Wing Commander wrote:Thanks, Arif.
I ended up taking finance from where I’ve bought my Alfa this time rather than clydesdale. Clydesdale was more competitive as always, but I specifically wanted a PCP this time to underwrite the guaranteed minimum future value. I personally thought that paying an additional £1k over two years was worth it on this particular car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
Northernmonkey

Post by Northernmonkey »

for that autocar article be interesting to know which generation Panamera the reader bought.

the trade in price is a joke given length of ownership but in Jan 2017 (purchase date) if the car had belonged to the DP then guessing it was at least a 66 plate registered late 2016 and the reader refers to it as the "S" not the 4S which suggests it was a Gen2 fully loaded run out model Panamera and not the new Gen3 car as in the new line up there is only the 4S no S.

if true and the reader paid £81.5K for it at a time when the latest Gen3 Panameras were already available albeit not many, if any, used ones around at that time in Jan 2017 then IMHO that was a risky purchase. they've possibly paid top ££££ for a run out fully loaded model just as the replacement model was being delivered and starting to trickle in approved used OPC's.

could be wrong but could explain the low ball trade in offer....if you are going to buy a run out model or special edition have to do so with eyes wide open and make sure you get a good deal.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Purchase date was 17 Jan this year, not Jan 2017, so that will definitely be a current generation Panamera. :geek:
Simon