RAC says new headlights 'blinding drivers

The place to discuss everything else..
John_M

Post by John_M »

Next thing to be attacked?
BBC Link
A UN working party is currently looking at the issue of headlight glare with its next meeting due to be held at the end of next month.

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Yes, I suffer that or rather those coming in the other direction frequently flash thinking the LEDs are on full beam whereas they are not.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

A difficult balance between this and other safety issues.

As I was told as a young ‘un... don’t look!
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Ferdie

Post by Ferdie »

Dandock wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:58 pm A difficult balance between this and other safety issues.

Good advice that - I am in two minds on this topic - My Macan Xeons on high beam used to be like a torch beam illuminating the tree canopy down the lanes in an impressive way. The 911 LEDs seem to reach better but have much lower and sharper cut-off even on full beam. So, I had thought that LEDs headlights seemed dim when seeing other cars but now I think they had better cut-off. The LEDs I find most dazzling are on 'budget cars' with LED running lights, at dusk, which seem very bright in all directions :shock:
991.1 C2 - Black Edition
(Prior) Macan SD - Night Blue
Fordson Dexta - 1960
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Ferdie wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:16 pm
Dandock wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:58 pm A difficult balance between this and other safety issues.

Good advice that - I am in two minds on this topic - My Macan Xeons on high beam used to be like a torch beam illuminating the tree canopy down the lanes in an impressive way. The 911 LEDs seem to reach better but have much lower and sharper cut-off even on full beam. So, I had thought that LEDs headlights seemed dim when seeing other cars but now I think they had better cut-off. The LEDs I find most dazzling are on 'budget cars' with LED running lights, at dusk, which seem very bright in all directions :shock:
Sound about right.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
John_M

Post by John_M »

Ferdie wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:16 pmGood advice that - I am in two minds on this topic - My Macan Xeons on high beam used to be like a torch beam illuminating the tree canopy down the lanes in an impressive way. The 911 LEDs seem to reach better but have much lower and sharper cut-off even on full beam. So, I had thought that LEDs headlights seemed dim when seeing other cars but now I think they had better cut-off. The LEDs I find most dazzling are on 'budget cars' with LED running lights, at dusk, which seem very bright in all directions :shock:
The Macan's Xenon main beam do seem a rather strange beam compared to previous cars with Xenon lights I have owned - I am sure the previous cars cut off much lower down but showed similar distance.
Guy

Post by Guy »

I've 'only' got Xenons but I get dazzled by the reflection of my lights from street signs! :shock:
Ferdie

Post by Ferdie »

Guy wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:37 pm I've 'only' got Xenons but I get dazzled by the reflection of my lights from street signs! :shock:
Good observation Guy - I agree the Xeons did that, probably because of the tunnel of light they made, must check if the LEDs are better on that score .
991.1 C2 - Black Edition
(Prior) Macan SD - Night Blue
Fordson Dexta - 1960
Caster

Post by Caster »

Being kind to other road users was one of the reasons I chose Halogens on my SD :lol:
Dave

Macan SD - Volcano Grey (with mudflaps) :D
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

I know all you young guys wont remember it but a long time ago I fitted halogen bulbs which were a revelation compared with the standard bulbs of the time.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50