Austrian motorways

The place to discuss everything else..
Macman

Post by Macman »

You can buy blue GB stickers to put on your number plate if there’s room. I did this on my last car, I think I got them from eBay. A lot cheaper than new number plates.

Like this for 99p
https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/PAIR-GB-CAR-NU ... SwaEhZMsOR
Porsche history: 924 S, 944 S2, 996.2, 987.1, Macan S

Zinzan

Post by Zinzan »

I bought some from Amazon for my Boxster as I didn't want to use a sticker on the paintwork. These are reflective, look fine and fit perfectly:

Gone: Macan S petrol
Gone: Boxster S:
Now: 911 (991.2) Carrera S
Zinzan

Post by Zinzan »

Oops - link appears to be missing. There from Stika and £3.49.
Gone: Macan S petrol
Gone: Boxster S:
Now: 911 (991.2) Carrera S
Guy

Post by Guy »

I wouldn't worry about getting GB plates. They are not used to open any automatic barriers, simply the occasional compliance check with roadside or gantry cameras. Hence any fine etc would be from a policeman or through the post - plenty of time/opportunity to explain is there is a problem.

Mind you, personally I would rather have the GB number plates than put a large white 'GB' sticker on the back. I keep two sets and swop them over as required.
Guy

Post by Guy »

^^ And I used those sticker types (pointed out by Zinzan) on my VW Golf in Germany, Austria and Romania and no one ever complained, despite automatic vignette checkers in the latter (it was before they had them in Austria)
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Thanks people. It was the NRS system that was the concern but if its not an issue then all well and good.

Will have to check the available space re the little stickers. I’m pretty sure I checked them out last year and finished up with a flimsy GB thingy with no ill effects at all; and the weather was exceedingly hot.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Nosmo

Post by Nosmo »

You can buy the blue European GB stickers in Halfords for example. They are the same height as the plate itself (If you have a standard plate) and stick it on the left hand side, where it sits on the plates with the integrated GB logo. When you come back home you could always remove it.
Deposit paid 14/12/13 - Picked up on 14/03/15.PF9FZLV2
GTS: PHVVUV96 Picked up on 16/06/16
Cayman GTS on order - due for delivery Nov '18
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Just heard back from Austria and as possibly as suspected the GB part of the plate doesn’t come into play re recognition. So as per last year it will be a floppy oval on the rear window.

Dear customer,

thank you for your email.

The GB is only essential to know the nationality of your vehicle. For the control system it is not necessary.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀