PDK vs Manual

The place to discuss everything else..
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

The manual gearbox/clutch on the 7.1 GT3 was rifle bolt precise, but, very stiff to operate.

It was fantastic when you grabbed it by the horns and really 'drove' it, but, when in lazy mode (or in traffic) it was a bit of a pig, getting the occasional missed gate/wrong gear or 'if you can't find 'em, grind 'em' moments.
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S

steve w

Post by steve w »

Personally Ive had/driven loads of manual vehicles in all guises but the PDK gearbox in the Porsche’s is so very very good that I’ve done with manual gearboxes ,the Golf GTI I’ve on order for the wife has the DSG gearbox this is also very good,IMO for every day driving these latest generation of auto boxes can’t be beaten.
SteveW
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

steve w wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:31 pm Personally Ive had/driven loads of manual vehicles in all guises but the PDK gearbox in the Porsche’s is so very very good that I’ve done with manual gearboxes ,the Golf GTI I’ve on order for the wife has the DSG gearbox this is also very good,IMO for every day driving these latest generation of auto boxes can’t be beaten.
SteveW
I totally echo this. Had it with manuals. Last one was in a BMW (2002 year model) that had such a heavy clutch that it literally gave me a pain the leg /arse! Had autos ever since and the Porsche PDK is the best yet. We also have a Leon with a DSG box and it's been fabulous over 24,000 miles.

Traffic volumes in 2018 and the constant need for gear changes make a manual box like driving a car with non-power steering 30 years ago!
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Paul

Post by Paul »

^^
This....for everyday driving, today’s “auto” boxes are without eqaul.
Now, if you have a “ proper” sports car, and wish to retain the pureist appeal, then a manual may be the best residual bet (Arif)
But in everyday, and even track use, a PDK would be my personal choice.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Guy

Post by Guy »

In USA a manual box or 'stick shift' is often quoted as a useful theft deterrent, because the chances are a thief will be unable to use them! :lol:
MacanArif

Post by MacanArif »

Thanks for the thoughts guys and Guy that last reason made me chuckle!

Really interesting to hear your experiences Alx and I really hope you fall in love with the RS.

I know the exam question doesn't have a right or wrong answer and personal preference of course is important. I for one love the modern auto boxes - have them in all my cars - 2xDSG, 1XPDK and 1xi3 electric auto. The PDK for me is a phenomenal box and the changes are so fast and in sync with your driving style. When I'm after a bit of extra fun the Sport mode is great, although not really tried it on my GT3 yet.

It's interesting to hear on the grapevine that there have been a lot more people buying manual GT3s than PDK, I don't know if that is true but judging from all the ones for sale on AT the vast majority are manuals and if this is the case than is it a just a case of those speculators speccing them for the next owner rather than themselves??

Preuninger said he thought the take up would be 25% Manual vs 75% PDK. I for one am happy with my PDK GT3 and love the way the box knows what I'm thinking and feeling, if that doesn't sound too nonsensical.
Current:
992 Turbo (July 23)
MG4 EV Trophy Long Range
VW Caravelle 6.1 4motion DSG
Suzuki Swift Sport

Previous Macan SD, Macan Turbo, Macan Turbo, 991.1 C4GTS coupe, 996 C4S coupe, Macan Turbo, 991.2 C4GTS coupe; 991.2 GT3; 992 C2S; 991.1 Turbo S
alxgb

Post by alxgb »

MacanArif wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:36 pm Thanks for the thoughts guys and Guy that last reason made me chuckle!

Really interesting to hear your experiences Alx and I really hope you fall in love with the RS.

I know the exam question doesn't have a right or wrong answer and personal preference of course is important. I for one love the modern auto boxes - have them in all my cars - 2xDSG, 1XPDK and 1xi3 electric auto. The PDK for me is a phenomenal box and the changes are so fast and in sync with your driving style. When I'm after a bit of extra fun the Sport mode is great, although not really tried it on my GT3 yet.

It's interesting to hear on the grapevine that there have been a lot more people buying manual GT3s than PDK, I don't know if that is true but judging from all the ones for sale on AT the vast majority are manuals and if this is the case than is it a just a case of those speculators speccing them for the next owner rather than themselves??

Preuninger said he thought the take up would be 25% Manual vs 75% PDK. I for one am happy with my PDK GT3 and love the way the box knows what I'm thinking and feeling, if that doesn't sound too nonsensical.
I heard somewhere that 70% of US GT3 cars have been bought as manual. That could be an Internet fact but rumour was that the popularity of the GT4 prompted Porsche to offer GT3 in manual. No idea whether that's true or not but AP strikes me as someone who knows his audience and carries sufficient influence to be allowed freedom on that.

After the exclusivity of the R, I think Porsche upset quite a few good customers so maybe they were trying to make amends. I doubt the RS will ever get a manual box again and in some ways, I quite like having a car that was designed with singular intent where I don't have the dilemma of choosing the gearbox. At different points of the continuum, that ethos unites the RS, Macan GTS and GT4.

Current generation of PDK is as you say phenomenal. If you enjoy the car and it makes you happy, that's what counts. How many miles are you on now? :D
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

As has been said above, for many, this is an opportunity to justify what they've bought and paid for. ;)

My first 'auto' was my Macan with PDK bought in March 2016. Then the pre-owned 991.1 C2 and then the Panamera 4. After two years driving PDKs, I'm gradually getting used to the art of driving a manual again!

Only a couple of hundred miles in, but hoping to put another 400+ miles on the T this weekend. Will report further next week.

So far am loving being in a sports car with a manual transmission. I share ScotMac's view that a proper sports car should have a manual box - old fashioned maybe, but there you go. ;)

Pleased to say that I haven't stalled it yet. :lol: But did 'crunch' a gear once, while driving past my neighbour. :roll:

Am impressed with the 7 speed box. It has a shorter gear lever (like in the R?) and the shorter final drive ratio from the Carrera S. Reviews have nearly all been positive, though all agreed that the 6 speed box in the R/GT3/GT4 is even better.

Am loving the interactive driving experience, despite the car being marginally slower to accelerate through the gears, as no human can change as well/quickly as a PDK does.

Happy driving to all Porsche drivers via whatever transmission you have! :)

Cheers,

Simon

P.S. The reverse gear needs a bit of effort to engage, but I understand that the box improves in its operation as it gets more miles under its belt.
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
грязныйдизель

Post by грязныйдизель »

Frenchy wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:39 pm PDK gives the best of both worlds, cool or sporty driving - also if manual gear boxes were so great on track , why Formula one don t use them anymore?
Having say that, it s great to still have the choice as in 10yrs time , e-cars will not offer any options...
But F1 cars still have manually operated clutches, no ABS, no traction control and manual diff settings.
So your point is not well made. F1 is all about sporting regulations, nothing about how "great" it is.

Some people just like having some significant involvement in the driving experience. Driver aids and smart automatic gearboxes leave you with very little.
VanB

Post by VanB »

I always vowed I'd have a manual in my 911 to enjoy the greater driver involvement but the traffic around here is so bad that PDK was a no brainer. Maybe next time round if I'm retired and they still make manuals!

Drove a manual 991.1 S at the range day and have to say it was a very sweet action and I believe the manual box has improved since then.

There is no right or wrong answer to this as it really is more about the driver's needs for the type of driving they do although the PDK box is mightily impressive.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate