Jaguar I Pace

The place to discuss everything else..
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

I followed an ePace P250 the other day. Disappointed later to find out it wasn't electric. Why do Companies think that nicking Apples 'i' nomenclature is the thing to do for all things electrickery?
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S

johnd

Post by johnd »

Macananon wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:30 am I'm off to an I pace preview event in a couple of weeks time. Be interesting to see how it stacks up to the Tesla.
Yes. I went to the Boston (Lincs!) one a few days back, just to see in the flesh all that I'd been reading about and viewing on Youtube. There's a lot of material online but no real independent road-tests as such yet - JLR don't seem to have released the main batch of press cars as yet. But probably the most interesting one is:

(though the first 5 minutes can be skipped if you like - it's just one more repeat of the Geneva airport car-park obstacle course).

I have a deposit down for one, hopefully for 2019 delivery, but dealer allocations don't seem to have been firmed up as yet - not too much of a surprise there. I do enjoy driving my SD, but there's no getting away from it being driving the past rather than the future. :evil:

(The 4.5sec 0-60 along with 300mile (new benchmark) range is also a definite draw and, as they say in the video above, Macan external dimensions with Cayenne interior space.)

Edit: should have added: If anyone's interested in taking a look, there are four cars doing a round-Britain roadshow tour of Jaguar dealers. The schedule is a few images down on this thread on the iPace sister forum to this one:

https://www.ipaceforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=243
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
N13LXC

Post by N13LXC »

nsm3 wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:22 am I followed an ePace P250 the other day. Disappointed later to find out it wasn't electric. Why do Companies think that nicking Apples 'i' nomenclature is the thing to do for all things electrickery?
XE, XF, XJ leads to E-Pace, F-Pace and somewhere down the line an XJ based model (not sure I'd go with J-Pace though!)

Similar to Audi (A3,5,7 goes to Q3,5,7) and BMW with their X3/5/7

not sure it's that hard to follow?
Current: 991.2 GTS, Gtd
Previous: Macan TPP, C350e, B8 RS4 Nogaro, Tiguan, S3, A1, B8 RS4, A5 cab, Golf GTTDI x2, RS Clio 197, TT Cab 1.8T, RS Clio 182, Megane 1.5 dci, Clio 1.5 dci, Astra Merit 1.6 d
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

It wasn't. I managed to easily stay with it for about 8 miles.
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Thanks for the link, I do like the look of the iPace so will have a trip to the JLR dealer next month on the 12th, the brand new showroom is now open, it is right next to junction 31A of the M6 if anyone in Lancashire would like to go there.

BTW
I think that the “ i “ is not of Apple origin.

Remember the GT car models became the GTi with the introduction of fuel injection.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Col Lamb wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:36 am
BTW
I think that the “ i “ is not of Apple origin.

Remember the GT car models became the GTi with the introduction of fuel injection.
It's actually the prominent usage of "i" has a prefix that Apple popularised over the last decade.
N13LXC

Post by N13LXC »

nsm3 wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:59 am It wasn't. I managed to easily stay with it for about 8 miles.
:lol:
Current: 991.2 GTS, Gtd
Previous: Macan TPP, C350e, B8 RS4 Nogaro, Tiguan, S3, A1, B8 RS4, A5 cab, Golf GTTDI x2, RS Clio 197, TT Cab 1.8T, RS Clio 182, Megane 1.5 dci, Clio 1.5 dci, Astra Merit 1.6 d
Deleted User 1874

Makes the F-Pace look like a dinosaur. But I'm not buying into Jaguar "quality" being anything exceptional. Having got used to the Tesla X interior, I don't really want to be going back to over-sized knobs and buttons either. But this does look like a nice car overall and interesting to see Jaguar ahead of the game compared to other mainstream manufacturers.
johnd

Post by johnd »

Peteski wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:49 am Makes the F-Pace look like a dinosaur.
Agreed. And not only the F-Pace
But I'm not buying into Jaguar "quality" being anything exceptional.
Must admit that I'm wary about that too. But slightly reassured by it being built in Austria by Magna Steyr.
Having got used to the Tesla X interior, I don't really want to be going back to over-sized knobs and buttons either.
Hmm. JLR are making the point that they've carefully researched the ergonomics and feel that a 100% touch-screen interface is not the optimum, but mostly touch-screen while retaining knobs etc for a few key functions is the best balance. I'm comfortable with that proposition and certainly I don't want to be digging through several layers of menus with eyes off the road at 80+ mph. But I know that equally it might be marketing speak and an excuse to reuse some Velar dash parts. And, if nothing else, I might be happier making the transition to 100% touchscreen in two stages.

The one bit I'm not totally convinced about are the retractable door handles.
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
Deleted User 1874

johnd wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:30 pm
Peteski wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:49 am Makes the F-Pace look like a dinosaur.
Agreed. And not only the F-Pace
But I'm not buying into Jaguar "quality" being anything exceptional.
Must admit that I'm wary about that too. But slightly reassured by it being built in Austria by Magna Steyr.
Having got used to the Tesla X interior, I don't really want to be going back to over-sized knobs and buttons either.
Hmm. JLR are making the point that they've carefully researched the ergonomics and feel that a 100% touch-screen interface is not the optimum, but mostly touch-screen while retaining knobs etc for a few key functions is the best balance. I'm comfortable with that proposition and certainly I don't want to be digging through several layers of menus with eyes off the road at 80+ mph. But I know that equally it might be marketing speak and an excuse to reuse some Velar dash parts. And, if nothing else, I might be happier making the transition to 100% touchscreen in two stages.

The one bit I'm not totally convinced about are the retractable door handles.
I think Jaguar have taken the safe, conservative approach to interior ergonomics. Many of their buyers will not exactly be spring chickens and are clearly unconvinced about touch screens. But if you take the over-sized heater control knobs as an example, in a Tesla you can simply use the steering wheel mounted thumb-wheelsl to adjust cabin temperature. There are 2 thumb-wheels and 4 switches on the Tesla steering wheel, which can be programmed as you see fit. Enough to rarely need to use the touch-screen while actually driving. There is voice-control too, which actually works surprisingly well. Living with the Tesla ergonomics has been very easy for me and I honestly now prefer it to a more conventional button/knob/dial cabin. I was actually a little disappointed in Jaguar going for a largely "legacy" interior. Also the oversized fake radiator grille on the front seems rather pointless. Just another sentimental feature to appease the more conservative buyer.

But as I said, overall it does look very nice and I would choose the I-Pace over the F-Pace or pretty much any conventional ICE car for that matter. I'm totally sold on the EV concept at this point as the Tesla drivetrain is simply amazing. People like diesels for their low down torque, but these EVs are on another planet entirely. It's just so ridiculously smooth and overtaking is comically effortless. Nothing else I've ever driven comes close in providing such effortless performance and that's just the X75D. The P100D is literally insane when you put your foot down hard, to the point where your passengers are in danger of actually throwing up or suffering whiplash. The I-Pace looks like it will deliver similar performance to the standard X75/100D, which will be plenty quick enough for most people. On paper it has similar performance to a Macan Turbo, but the truly instant torque always available will make it feel quicker (like driving a Macan Turbo right to the limiter in every single gear and always being in the lowest gear possible at all times). For those reasons my X75D feels a lot quicker than my 997.2 C4S in everyday driving unless seriously thrashing the 911 up to the limiter in each gear and dropping down multiple gears when overtaking. I digress, LOL!