French trip on the weekend

The place to discuss everything else..
bbpxbbpx

Post by bbpxbbpx »

First time driving to France from the UK last week.

Went to Amiens and Chateau de Chantilly. Great motorways in France abeit not cheap.

Positively surprised to see a very nice GB plate Macan Turbo in midnight blue colour parked close to my Agate Grey S in an underground car park at Amiens. Wonder if he is also a member of this forum.

Too focused on the driving and didn't take much photos sorry! The drive was fantastic and didn't feel long.

Handy tips from here to book as high vehicle for the tunnel so getting on the train was not stressful at all. Also got the auto toll pass sorted ahead of time from APRR. Both highly recommended!
Last edited by bbpxbbpx on Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ben

2019 Macan S Night Blue
1995 993 C2 Midnight Blue
2015 Macan S Agate Grey - SOLD

Dandock

Post by Dandock »

It’s mostly nice driving in France. Tell me, what is an auto roll pass? And who are APRR?
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
VanB

Post by VanB »

The autoroutes are lovely and smooth for the most part but it is important to watch your speed between tolls as this is apparently another method of fining you if you arrive at the next one too quickly!
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Orangebulldog

Post by Orangebulldog »

VanB wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:31 pm The autoroutes are lovely and smooth for the most part but it is important to watch your speed between tolls as this is apparently another method of fining you if you arrive at the next one too quickly!
My trick is to always take my “break” or gas in between two tollgates, to reduce average speed ;). They tend to fine you if average above 150kmh 😌, first hand experience between Lyon-Sud and Avignon.
VanB

Post by VanB »

Orangebulldog wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:46 pm
VanB wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:31 pm The autoroutes are lovely and smooth for the most part but it is important to watch your speed between tolls as this is apparently another method of fining you if you arrive at the next one too quickly!
My trick is to always take my “break” or gas in between two tollgates, to reduce average speed ;). They tend to fine you if average above 150kmh 😌, first hand experience between Lyon-Sud and Avignon.
That's a decent margin on a longer run as I doubt it would be that easy to maintain on a longer stretch unless in the early hours
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Orangebulldog

Post by Orangebulldog »

VanB wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:49 pm
Orangebulldog wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:46 pm
That's a decent margin on a longer run as I doubt it would be that easy to maintain on a longer stretch unless in the early hours
Indeed early hours. We make the 1000km trip Brussels-Provence twice a month. So leave quite early on our way back. The first stretch Avignon-Lyon is about two hours so didnt stop at first... untill... Also, heads up, for foreigners: if you get caught by speeding camera, from the limit (usually 130kmh) up untill 20km above (so 150kmh) the fine is exactly the same (45 euros). So I tend to go for it ;).
SRDL

Post by SRDL »

Dandock wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:19 pm Tell me, what is an auto roll pass? And who are APRR?
I think he means the electronic toll box you stick inside the windscreen so you can just drive through the tolls on the Telepeage (fast track) lane, usually without stopping. It’s great fun and one of the best “accessories” ever fitted to my car.

APRR is one of the French autoroute companies. I use SANEF (https://www.saneftolling.co.uk) because they have a UK office and they have always been very efficient.
Steve
Mercedes-AMG GLC 43 (3 litre, 367bhp) - in the end I went for that rather than a Macan S - sorry!
bbpxbbpx

Post by bbpxbbpx »

Yes Steve, it is toll pass apologise for typo.

Getting it from APRR saves me a few quid compared to Sanef UK, probably insignificant. I will be charged €1.7 for the month that the pass was used vs €5 (max €10 in a year) if you use one from Sanef UK. If you go regularly then Sanef is better off. Also no deposit or no yearly fee with APRR as opposed to Sanef.

http://www.aprr.fr/fr/telepeagelibert/p ... casionnels
Ben

2019 Macan S Night Blue
1995 993 C2 Midnight Blue
2015 Macan S Agate Grey - SOLD
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

SRDL wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:24 pm
Dandock wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:19 pm Tell me, what is an auto roll pass? And who are APRR?
I think he means the electronic toll box you stick inside the windscreen so you can just drive through the tolls on the Telepeage (fast track) lane, usually without stopping. It’s great fun and one of the best “accessories” ever fitted to my car.

APRR is one of the French autoroute companies. I use SANEF (https://www.saneftolling.co.uk) because they have a UK office and they have always been very efficient.
I thought that would be the answer. I use SANEF too and I agree about its benefits but thought I’d better check just in case I was missing a trick.

Last year I did have a couple of iffy gates though with the widget not being recognised and a queue having formed behind. 🙁

Rosbif - merde!
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
SRDL

Post by SRDL »

Slightly off topic, but has anyone had a problem finding a suitable place for the toll tag on the standard Macan windscreen? I know some cars with some screens can be a problem with the screen interrupting the signal from the box.
Steve
Mercedes-AMG GLC 43 (3 litre, 367bhp) - in the end I went for that rather than a Macan S - sorry!