EV future and Porsche

The place to discuss everything else..
VanB

Post by VanB »

Points I have made before and I still maintain that, with the exponential advances in technology, there will either be a viable EV offering or something we currently know nothing about that will replace EV as the go to alternative in the near/medium future. Anyone who thinks the oil companies are not spending £billions looking to protect their future revenues is naive and who is to say that is going to be from oil?
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate

Guy

Post by Guy »

SAC1 wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 7:01 pm "Research shows that the majority of domestic garages are hardly ever used to park a car"
Which explains why local authority planning permissions often force developers to build car-ports rather than garages. Reason being that people won't abuse a car-port to store 'stuff' on display (think security, tidiness etc), hence a car-port is much more likely to be used for its intended purpose - i.e parking a car, thereby getting it off the street or local parking area/estate.

Car-ports are much healthier for cars anyway, until they get nicked :lol:
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

VanB wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 8:54 pm Points I have made before and I still maintain that, with the exponential advances in technology, there will either be a viable EV offering or something we currently know nothing about that will replace EV as the go to alternative in the near/medium future. Anyone who thinks the oil companies are not spending £billions looking to protect their future revenues is naive and who is to say that is going to be from oil?
With all due respect, that's just casual presumption with no factual information whatsoever. You might as well just say that future cars may be powered by fairy dust.
Deleted User 1874

spook wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 4:18 pm Tesla Crash and yet another EV explosion.

Unfortuaneley there were two deaths in Florida

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/95 ... two-killed
And your point is? We already know that literally every single Tesla crash makes the news (makes great click bait) even though there are now 300,000 of them on the road. Other car crashes need to involve celebrities to make anything other than the local rag. Yes EVs can go up in flames (sometimes) if you drive them at high speed into immovable objects. So do all cars and the fires don't always get put out before people die in them.
Paul

Post by Paul »

😉, yes, and I hear yesterday that “all” BMWs from 2010 on WILL cut out, rendering them undriveable and certain to crash....😉
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
VanB

Post by VanB »

Peteski wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 11:04 am
VanB wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 8:54 pm Points I have made before and I still maintain that, with the exponential advances in technology, there will either be a viable EV offering or something we currently know nothing about that will replace EV as the go to alternative in the near/medium future. Anyone who thinks the oil companies are not spending £billions looking to protect their future revenues is naive and who is to say that is going to be from oil?
With all due respect, that's just casual presumption with no factual information whatsoever. You might as well just say that future cars may be powered by fairy dust.
I make no apology for speculating. None of us knows what technological advances are around the corner but what we have all seen over the last 20 years is an exponential growth in those advances and to dismiss out of hand that something of a game-changer could come along in the foreseeable future is a somewhat blinkered view. Consequently I'm happy to agree to differ on this one after all everyone is entitled to their own opinion otherwise we wouldn't, as forum members, like different colours. Or seats. Or systems of propulsion :lol:
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Deleted User 1874

VanB wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 5:08 pm
I make no apology for speculating. None of us knows what technological advances are around the corner but what we have all seen over the last 20 years is an exponential growth in those advances and to dismiss out of hand that something of a game-changer could come along in the foreseeable future is a somewhat blinkered view. Consequently I'm happy to agree to differ on this one after all everyone is entitled to their own opinion otherwise we wouldn't, as forum members, like different colours. Or seats. Or systems of propulsion :lol:
I don't mind speculation, but you haven't speculated anything yet. So I'm going to speculate that fairy dust will be used like in Ben and Holly's Little Kingdom. It's taken literally decades for EVs to go from a pipe dream to reality, so if fairy dust is discovered tomorrow, then we can realistically expect vehicles powered by it in around 30 years or so. Not saying it isn't going to happen, but it's also a slightly pointless speculation to make and probably better to discuss what we actually do know today, which includes BEVs, PHEVs, Hydrogen cells, synthetic ICE fuels etc. Battery tech is probably going to be a key factor and there are some interesting developments, but again none of it is particularly short term or even necessarily applicable to large scale car batteries. For all our tech advances over the last 20 years, Space 1999 type predictions were far from the mark! Cars are improving incrementally by each generation, but it's a very conservative industry on the whole. You only have to look how much pussyfooting there is at the moment over in-car tech and EV drivetrains. It's actually the likes of Tesla and the Chinese that seem to be thinking out of the box.