EV future and Porsche

The place to discuss everything else..
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Since the Facelift Macan thread has drifted onto EV talk, I thought I might start a new thread on the subject.

Porsche are obviously about to dip their toe in the water with the Mission-E, but I wonder if they will actually have the balls to put out an all new EV only Macan or end up with a half-assed hybrid platform in 2021/22 or whenever the new Macan is due. I'm sure that must be a hot topic of discussion at Porsche HQ right now and they must be watching the iPace launch with considerable interest. Maybe they will hedge their bets and make two different SUV platforms like Jaguar? Or will they go for it and fully commit to an EV Macan only? Then where does that leave the rest of their line-up. Are we going to see EV sportscars and Cayenne? The problem is that full EV and PHEV don't work well on the same platform. So you either end up with a seriously compromised EV or two distinct platforms for every model. Should be interesting times ahead!

Paul

Post by Paul »

My money would be on a half-assed neither fish nor fowl compromise.
Unless they push the “ New” Macan back significantly, the platform is probably too far down the road to do anything else.
They might piggy back onto the Audi all electric which is taking deposits as we speak, so maybe they are waiting to see how that fares.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Deleted User 1874

That depends whether the platform is already being designed around hybrid or full EV. I have a feeling they will offer two distinct paths for EV and PHEV to cover all bases. A bit like Mission-E and Panamera in parallel for a while. Then I guess sales volumes of each will dictate the future from there.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Probably depends primarily upon Audi.

The platform will be key throughout the VW group, so my view is that there will be a few versions that can either support battery packs alone or a hybrid or just ICE.

Get the platforms right and they would be good for many, many years.

I cannot see it making economic sense to develop a platform for just one model especially if you are a small time player in the market.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

For my money the future for the EV/hybrid versions by model, including 'new' Macan, is already mapped out such is the length of design and development timescales. It's just that they're not telling us yet!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Deleted User 1874

Nuclear Nick wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 3:17 pm For my money the future for the EV/hybrid versions by model, including 'new' Macan, is already mapped out such is the length of design and development timescales. It's just that they're not telling us yet!
Normally I would agree, but I'm not so sure about this case. A lot has changed in the last couple of years, both political and technical. I'm sure they had an ICE/Hybrid plan mapped out over the next decade, but not so sure about full EV. I don't think anyone expected diesel to go out of favour so rapidly and public interest in EVs is rising fast. There are some huge decisions to make over the next year or two regarding where to focus their resources. I guess there will be a number of parallel products, but that in itself is a very expensive way forward.
smithy37

Post by smithy37 »

After spending nearly 36 hours (and counting) with a Sport Turismo E-Hybrid I can honestly say I like what Porsche have done. From a man who was recently saddled with a Lexus NX hybrid whilst between cars, that is high praise indeed. The Lexus was neither a good electric car nor a good petrol car and the marrying of the two technologies was abhorrent in that vehicle.
The Porsche on the other hand has impressed me in both modes, especially when fusing the two to aid performance. That is what we buy a Porsche for isn't it, performance and handling?

I get why people like EV's and I really like the Tesla Model X. A good practical car, that is brimming with technology and stunning pace, but my lifestyle doesn't fit with a fully electric car at present. I guess when I am sure the infrastructure is in place and that the technology is there to support so many vehicles I may look again. If not, the hybrid does a sterling job and may well become the larger part of the engine in times to come. Who knows how that will sway me?

Interesting times ahead!
Taycan Turbo S
http://www.porsche-code.com/PMPMJ963

Litchfield tuned Porsche Carrera 4 GTS (991.2)

Sold in Jan 2019 - Cayenne Turbo (E3)

Sold in 2018 - Macan Turbo (15):
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Peteski wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 4:24 pm
Nuclear Nick wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 3:17 pm For my money the future for the EV/hybrid versions by model, including 'new' Macan, is already mapped out such is the length of design and development timescales. It's just that they're not telling us yet!
Normally I would agree, but I'm not so sure about this case. A lot has changed in the last couple of years, both political and technical. I'm sure they had an ICE/Hybrid plan mapped out over the next decade, but not so sure about full EV. I don't think anyone expected diesel to go out of favour so rapidly and public interest in EVs is rising fast. There are some huge decisions to make over the next year or two regarding where to focus their resources. I guess there will be a number of parallel products, but that in itself is a very expensive way forward.
Yes I'm with you Peteski, but fundamental designs are, as I'm sure you know, set out around eight years before new model launch. JLR were committed to the F-Pace when the Macan came along and, while we know that they then reviewed the spec and made some changes which delayed the launch a bit, they didn't/couldn't change the basic design, ie platform, propulsion, etc. So if the new model Macan is due out in say, 2022, ie four years after facelift, its basic design was committed to the drawing board four years ago. Anything arriving much quicker than that is likely to be something 'badge engineered' from elsewhere in VAG.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Deleted User 1874

Nuclear Nick wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 5:26 pm So if the new model Macan is due out in say, 2022, ie four years after facelift, its basic design was committed to the drawing board four years ago.
But do we actually know what they committed to 4 years ago i.e. hybrid or full on EV? I'm guessing a PHEV. I agree that any full EV platform will be based on what Audi are doing with their electric SUVs.
Deleted User 1874

smithy37 wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 5:20 pm After spending nearly 36 hours (and counting) with a Sport Turismo E-Hybrid I can honestly say I like what Porsche have done. From a man who was recently saddled with a Lexus NX hybrid whilst between cars, that is high praise indeed. The Lexus was neither a good electric car nor a good petrol car and the marrying of the two technologies was abhorrent in that vehicle.
The Porsche on the other hand has impressed me in both modes, especially when fusing the two to aid performance. That is what we buy a Porsche for isn't it, performance and handling?

I get why people like EV's and I really like the Tesla Model X. A good practical car, that is brimming with technology and stunning pace, but my lifestyle doesn't fit with a fully electric car at present. I guess when I am sure the infrastructure is in place and that the technology is there to support so many vehicles I may look again. If not, the hybrid does a sterling job and may well become the larger part of the engine in times to come. Who knows how that will sway me?

Interesting times ahead!
I think hybrid done properly can be a good option for some. The only one I've driven recently is the Volvo XC90 T8 and that was disappointing in that the electric part was a token gesture. Next generation PHEVs should be much stronger, with a more balanced mix of ICE/EV power. As long as the resultant drivetrain is still lighter than a comparable BEV and of course longer range. But at some point in the future there may not be much point in hybrids for almost anyone. Even now I don't see any point for my own personal needs - hence the Tesla! 3K miles in and the EV drivetrain still blows me away with its effortless pace and refinement.