First they come for the Diesels

The place to discuss everything else..
johnd

Post by johnd »

Col Lamb wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 5:07 pm In answer to your question about 75% of all Porsches made are still in existance.
It's an interesting stat, but what proportion of all Porsches have been manufactured in eg the last 10 (or 15) years? I suspect the substantial majority of them.

And then, as per my last sentence above. I can imagine a lot more interest in keeping a 15yo Boxster or 911 on the road with maybe 'only' 70-80K on the clock (possibly not used as someone's #1 drive) compared to a comparable Cayenne daily driver with eg 150K. So I'm not sure how many Cayennes, Macans etc will survive past 15 years.
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly

PSEE

Post by PSEE »

johnd wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 8:35 am
Bazza06 wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 11:00 pm So any hybrid incapable of doing 50 miles on electric power could be banned by 2040 which means goodbye to the Toyota Prius, the most popular hybrid vehicle.
Is this a big deal though? What's the average life of a modern car - 15 years say**? So manufacturers have until ca 2025 - still 7 long years away - to increase the (eg) Cayenne or Prius battery range from 27 to 50 miles (assuming that either model is still current then). Difficult to believe that wouldn't be happening anyway, it's what needs to happen to hybrids to make them more viable.

**Edit: I'm not sure what the average life of a modern Porsche might be though? SUV/saloon-type Porsches probably haven't been around long enough to give any real indication. I'm guessing that they're well enough engineered and built to last quite a long time but OTOH the cost of maintenance will get progressively higher as the years tick by. So it may be more a question of economics than actually wearing out and with less of a classic car appeal than the Porsche sports car models as an alternative reason to keep them running.

According to the Porsche website:

Over 70 percent of all Porsche vehicles ever built are still on the road today.
We make sure it stays that way.

8-)
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

I saw a Mk1 Cayenne the other day in town. Now quite a rare sight and it looked ancient! By contrast I see loads of 996 generation 911s of the same vintage and plenty of older Boxsters and classic 911s. Newer Cayennes and Macans are a common sight too. So is it just a case of not many Mk1 Cayennes produced or are they disappearing off our roads?