Hive or Nest?

The place to discuss everything else..
uktivo

Post by uktivo »

Bazza06 wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 11:02 pm Given that this is an off-topic thread I’d like to know if any of you have the above or looked into getting one and which you consider to be the better of the two and why.

Thanks
I have a nest thermal system and smoke detection system fitted. I've been using this for about 2 years now. Nest is simple to install and once you are happy with the settings, you just leave it alone..
The nest smoke alarms (5 fitted) and thermostat talk to each other and the "away from home" feature on the thermal system uses the sensors on the smoke alarm and such things as knowing when a particular phone is in the home to decide if the hearing needs to turn on or not. Very clever.

Someone mentioned about moving the thermostat around to different rooms to ensure you get the right temperature where you are sat. Nest are just about to release a simple thermostat which you put into other rooms, I think they retail around 20pounds. This communicates with the main thermostat to ensure even temperature throughout the home.

Nest.. highly recommended by me. It works and it's simple.
My Porsche history
944 (sold)
911 (992.1 - sold)
Macan Turbo (sold)
Panamera turbo S E Hybrid (sold)
Cayenne sport (the bosses)
Taycan Turbo loving it.

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Combi boilers require that they are pressurised correctly, you should have a pressure gauge in your system/boiler.

Your Plumber needs to do the job correctly, having a radiator hot at the top and far colder at the bottom is a classic case of the rad being clogged with deposits.

If need be he needs to take each radiator off and flush it through properly.

TRVs are just a temperature sensitive capsule that open and closes the valve in a linearish manner, if they are old the valve can stick. They also need to be installed correctly, old ones should be in the flow, modern ones can be in either pipe but the valve head has to be set via a pin to tell it which pipe it is in.

£3k for a 3 bed detached is a fair wad of cash, please do not tell me that he charged you that much for changing the boiler and giving your system a flush through as a new boiler retail non-trade price is about £1k plus fitting.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

Col Lamb wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 11:30 pm Combi boilers require that they are pressurised correctly, you should have a pressure gauge in your system/boiler.

Your Plumber needs to do the job correctly, having a radiator hot at the top and far colder at the bottom is a classic case of the rad being clogged with deposits.

If need be he needs to take each radiator off and flush it through properly.

TRVs are just a temperature sensitive capsule that open and closes the valve in a linearish manner, if they are old the valve can stick. They also need to be installed correctly, old ones should be in the flow, modern ones can be in either pipe but the valve head has to be set via a pin to tell it which pipe it is in.

£3k for a 3 bed detached is a fair wad of cash, please do not tell me that he charged you that much for changing the boiler and giving your system a flush through as a new boiler retail non-trade price is about £1k plus fitting.
It was £2700 for a new boiler, power flush, 3 x TRV’s, new pump and magnaclean in the airing cupboard and fitting a new sink and pedestal in the cloakroom. The existing boiler flue had to be bricked up and a new hole created. In all they were here two days and the quotes I had were quite similar.
Previously owned:
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
happy days

Post by happy days »

My bees like their hive; they're not that fussed on a nest - they find it a wee bit cold at night.
Macan S D
718 S