Hive or Nest?

The place to discuss everything else..
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

Given that this is an off-topic thread I’d like to know if any of you have the above or looked into getting one and which you consider to be the better of the two and why.

Thanks
Previously owned:
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver

Paul

Post by Paul »

SSAS (if you have the initial wherewithal)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

Paul wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 11:03 pm SSAS (if you have the initial wherewithal)
:lol: I’m talking about heating controls unless you were kidding me.
Previously owned:
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

For heating and hot water check out.

https://www.honeywelluk.com/products/Co ... hermostat/

Honeywell are major league in automated systems.

The most suitable control system is dependent upon the type and size of heating system that is installed.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
davewf

Post by davewf »

Agree with Col Lamb, Honeywell EvoHome is fantastic although a tad old fashioned in terms of its wireless technology. Took me around 6 months to sort my system out . Evohome uses motorised radiator valves to effectively zone your rooms so you are no longer relying on one single thermostat. I replaced my Nest with it.

An alternative is Tado which uses the devices to form a radio mesh, its also more straightforward to install assuming you are doing it yourself, but lacks a controller like the Eveohome with everything being controlled via apps but to be honest once its all set up you don't override very often and like Evohome you can override temperatures in rooms on the valve itself if needed. Tado also has a geofence capability so as you leave home it turns the heating down. You can also just start with a single Tado thermostat so it effectively is the same as a nest and add valves later.

https://www.tado.com/gb/products/smart- ... tarter-kit

Both are very much more expensive than Nest with the zoned solution but are in a different league.
smithy37

Post by smithy37 »

I have a nest installed & love it. I can even control it from my car, because I use that feature every day......not!!
Taycan Turbo S
http://www.porsche-code.com/PMPMJ963

Litchfield tuned Porsche Carrera 4 GTS (991.2)

Sold in Jan 2019 - Cayenne Turbo (E3)

Sold in 2018 - Macan Turbo (15):
John_M

Post by John_M »

VanB

Post by VanB »

I have a zoned Nest system and it works extremely well for something that is relatively cheap to install and you can move the thermostat around to ensure you get the right temperature in the place. I haven't tried Hive so can't comment but I'm very happy with my Nest setup.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

Many thanks for the feedback and suggestions. I didn't realise there were so many other options, probably because Hive and Nest spend so much on their marketing.

I'll spend a bit more time investigating although I have a small concern with the wireless as I'm finding things such as my Google Wi-Fi, iPads etc. are causing issues with my soundbar / subwoofer in my living room.

The simplest thing would be to stay as is and turn the thermostat off and on as I have done for the past 30 years :D
Previously owned:
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
John_M

Post by John_M »

Bazza06 wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 10:33 amThe simplest thing would be to stay as is and turn the thermostat off and on as I have done for the past 30 years :D
Also reduces anyone hacking into your systems or someone like Google just stop supporting model and killing servers it requires etc.
Personally I just leave thermostat on at constant temp and seems to be as cheap to run as timed (but is new house so well insulated)