Hive or Nest?

The place to discuss everything else..
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

John_M wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 11:13 am
Bazza06 wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 10:33 amThe simplest thing would be to stay as is and turn the thermostat off and on as I have done for the past 30 years :D
Also reduces anyone hacking into your systems or someone like Google just stop supporting model and killing servers it requires etc.
Personally I just leave thermostat on at constant temp and seems to be as cheap to run as timed (but is new house so well insulated)
We do the same but my wife likes the idea that the temp can be ramped up on those extra cold days and controlled from the train!
Previously owned:
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver

John_M

Post by John_M »

Bazza06 wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 11:22 amWe do the same but my wife likes the idea that the temp can be ramped up on those extra cold days and controlled from the train!
I don't think house heating will reach the train ;) - sounds like need a placebo thermostat
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

John_M wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 12:57 pm
Bazza06 wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 11:22 amWe do the same but my wife likes the idea that the temp can be ramped up on those extra cold days and controlled from the train!
I don't think house heating will reach the train ;) - sounds like need a placebo thermostat
:lol: :lol:
Previously owned:
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

Bazza06 wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 1:20 pm
John_M wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 12:57 pm
:lol: :lol: You haven't seen the temperature she ramps it up to!
Previously owned:
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Bazza.

Quick lesson for you from a retired Mechanical Engineer with 45 years working in the building industry.

Most houses have a Y Plan control system which has a three port valve to either feed the boiler water into an indirect heating coil which is inside the hot water cylinder, or the boiler water is fed into the radiators. This is a one zone heating system.

Larger houses may have two zones typically one upstairs and one downstairs and these are S Plan controls.

Additionally individual radiators can have thermostatic control valves fitted to allow each to be set to suit the room.

In a house which has thermostatic radiator valves fitted there needs to be one radiator which does not have said type of valve fitted to maintain hydrostatic balance of the system.

Systems like Hive just allow remote control of the temperature setting and to turn on and off the boiler, additionally there can be electronic control of the radiators in one or more room as you desire. These system are growing in their capabilities but do require additional devices fitted at varying costs.

Now the all singing system will have weather compensation and optimal start, where the boiler water flow temperature will vary depending upon the external and internal temperatures. The optimal start function is where the start time of the boiler varies depending upon external and internal temperatures in such a manner that the internal temperature is reached at the set occupancy time.

The Daddy of all control systems is the BMS where everything is computer controlled, companies like Satchwell, Trend and Honeywell made such systems, there are what you see in the movies where they are hacked and lifts, doors etc are then under the control of the bad guys, well that is Hollywood and not the real world where a minimum salary guy on the Reception desk has total control of the building, this just does not happen.

Do be careful if you are only changing for energy savings as the break even point will more than likely be many years ahead, do also check with your energy provider on what they offer.

There you go.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

Thanks Col, that is very interesting and thanks for taking the time to write such a comprehensive post.

I live in a 3 bed detached average size house so I doubt my system is very complicated.

Maybe you can help a step further by explaining why out of all the radiators in the house, of which there are 9, the living room radiator outputs the least heat. The top is hotter than the bottom which is luke warm.

This has been the case for several years but earlier this week I had a new boiler fitted and a complete power flush of the system. Lo and behold the same radiator is still hotter at the top and luke warm at the bottom. I haven't contacted the plumber yet but am at a loss as to why this is.

The dining room radiator and all others on the ground floor are fine it's just this one radiator.
Previously owned:
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Some questions, Bazza.

How does the pipework connect to the lounge radiator, ie both at bottom or one top and one bottom?

Not allways does a flush clear out a clogged radiator.

When the flush occurred did the guy add an inhibitor?

Are all the other radiators an even temperature?

Do you have thermostatic radiator valves fitted?

Do you have a condensing boiler?
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

Col Lamb wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 4:57 pm Some questions, Bazza.

How does the pipework connect to the lounge radiator, ie both at bottom or one top and one bottom?

Not allways does a flush clear out a clogged radiator.

When the flush occurred did the guy add an inhibitor?

Are all the other radiators an even temperature?

Do you have thermostatic radiator valves fitted?

Do you have a condensing boiler?
The lounge radiator has pipework connected at the bottom of each end. It is a condensing boiler and I believe he did add an inhibitor.
He also replaced the pump in the airing cupboard and installed something called Magnaclean which I believe collects metal particles.

I have 3 TRV's one in each bedroom. I have a complaint about these too as when on No3 there is no heat at all. Only when I put them on 4 do they heat up. I never previously had TRV's.
Previously owned:
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
rydercowan

Post by rydercowan »

Bazza06 wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 3:49 pm Thanks Col, that is very interesting and thanks for taking the time to write such a comprehensive post.

I live in a 3 bed detached average size house so I doubt my system is very complicated.

Maybe you can help a step further by explaining why out of all the radiators in the house, of which there are 9, the living room radiator outputs the least heat. The top is hotter than the bottom which is luke warm.

This has been the case for several years but earlier this week I had a new boiler fitted and a complete power flush of the system. Lo and behold the same radiator is still hotter at the top and luke warm at the bottom. I haven't contacted the plumber yet but am at a loss as to why this is.

The dining room radiator and all others on the ground floor are fine it's just this one radiator.
It sounds as though the system needs rebalancing. I had the same problem with a bedroom radiator when we moved to our present house. It's an easy DIY job to fix - Google 'balance central heating' for step by step instructions.
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

rydercowan wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 9:10 pm
Bazza06 wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 3:49 pm Thanks Col, that is very interesting and thanks for taking the time to write such a comprehensive post.

It sounds as though the system needs rebalancing. I had the same problem with a bedroom radiator when we moved to our present house. It's an easy DIY job to fix - Google 'balance central heating' for step by step instructions.
Having just paid nearly £3K the plumber can get his backside out here and do it himself :lol:
Previously owned:
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver