New Cayenne - E-Hybrid vs Cayenne S

The place to discuss everything else..
mavg1986

Post by mavg1986 »

Hi All,

I currently have an order on a New Cayenne and am considering upgrading, especially with the current delays on production due to factory shut-down. By the way my OP advised no more Petrols this year, diesels most likely November, December.

With this in mind, noting my car will probably be produced somewhere in October-December this year, I am thinking of which version to go for.

Is it me or the Cayenne E-hybrid is looking like good value in the range? 0-60 quicker than the S (slightly), PASM and Chrono standard.

Interested on the views of the experts.

I've heard good things of the e-hybrid on the Panameras

Thanks
Deposit paid: Cayenne 3.0
Current: Audi Q7 272hp (2016)/ SQ5 (2015)
Weekend: 911 Carrera 4 (1999)
Daily: BMW i3 (2016)

MacanArif

Post by MacanArif »

I would buy the hybrid - as you say better value and if you are only doing short journeys you can run on pure electric at little cost. 70% of Panameras being ordered at the moment are the hybrid.

Resale the hybrid will be better too.

I was toying with the idea of getting one myself but probably wait for the Macan facelift.
Current:
992 Turbo (July 23)
MG4 EV Trophy Long Range
VW Caravelle 6.1 4motion DSG
Suzuki Swift Sport

Previous Macan SD, Macan Turbo, Macan Turbo, 991.1 C4GTS coupe, 996 C4S coupe, Macan Turbo, 991.2 C4GTS coupe; 991.2 GT3; 992 C2S; 991.1 Turbo S
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

One interesting thing I noticed about the hybrid: the wading depth is 250mm. That's half that of the rest of the range, presumably because of the battery.

Probably not a major issue for most owners but it does mean you need to be extra careful around floods.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Trosley

Post by Trosley »

With time on your side I would definitely try both before you decide. Most importantly have each for at least a day and go on journeys that you normally do. I have a Cayenne S coming in two weeks or so, depending on Porsche. I will definitely go hybrid eventually but not yet. I feel they are only second generation and there are plenty of generations to go before they are perfect. I have driven a Panamera 4S with the same engine as the Cayenne S - absolutely wonderful power train! I have also driven a Panamera Hybrid with the same engine as the Cayenne Hybrid, again very impressive but the electric power does not last anywhere near as long as you would think and then you are on on a lower horsepower and carrying an extra 200 Kg of battery around with you. Of course, this might well be acceptable if your journeys are short and you have adequate charging facilities but for me it doesn't work. However, once Porsche eek out 50 or 60 miles out of the battery power and maybe reduce the weight then it will be an absolute game changer. Impossible? Just think how mobile phone technology has developed from a brick to what we have now!
Previous: Macan SD 2014
Current: Cayenne S 2018
MacanArif

Post by MacanArif »

Trosley wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 7:29 pm With time on your side I would definitely try both before you decide. Most importantly have each for at least a day and go on journeys that you normally do. I have a Cayenne S coming in two weeks or so, depending on Porsche. I will definitely go hybrid eventually but not yet. I feel they are only second generation and there are plenty of generations to go before they are perfect. I have driven a Panamera 4S with the same engine as the Cayenne S - absolutely wonderful power train! I have also driven a Panamera Hybrid with the same engine as the Cayenne Hybrid, again very impressive but the electric power does not last anywhere near as long as you would think and then you are on on a lower horsepower and carrying an extra 200 Kg of battery around with you. Of course, this might well be acceptable if your journeys are short and you have adequate charging facilities but for me it doesn't work. However, once Porsche eek out 50 or 60 miles out of the battery power and maybe reduce the weight then it will be an absolute game changer. Impossible? Just think how mobile phone technology has developed from a brick to what we have now!
I take your point but THE biggest cost of motoring is depreciation and I think the Hybrid will hold better. As you say a longer battery change would be even more of a selling point.
Current:
992 Turbo (July 23)
MG4 EV Trophy Long Range
Suzuki Swift Sport

Previous Macan SD, Macan Turbo, Macan Turbo, 991.1 C4GTS coupe, 996 C4S coupe, Macan Turbo, 991.2 C4GTS coupe; 991.2 GT3; 992 C2S; 991.1 Turbo S
Trosley

Post by Trosley »

MacanArif wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 9:57 pm
I take your point but THE biggest cost of motoring is depreciation and I think the Hybrid will hold better. As you say a longer battery change would be even more of a selling point.
I agree with you about depreciation but in this case I feel only time will tell. If or when Porsche brings out a hybrid Macan, will it make all the current highly rated GTS and Turbo models high depreciators? Previous generation Cayennes cannot really be taken into account since the new S and Turbo are more sports car than SUV, as with the GTS and Turbo Macan (I hope).
Previous: Macan SD 2014
Current: Cayenne S 2018
MacanArif

Post by MacanArif »

Trosley wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 8:55 am
MacanArif wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 9:57 pm
I agree with you about depreciation but in this case I feel only time will tell. If or when Porsche brings out a hybrid Macan, will it make all the current highly rated GTS and Turbo models high depreciators? Previous generation Cayennes cannot really be taken into account since the new S and Turbo are more sports car than SUV, as with the GTS and Turbo Macan (I hope).
Depreciation is all relative, if specced right the whole Cayenne range holds pretty strong on the used market, I just think Hybrid will be even stronger as demand will likely be high.
Current:
992 Turbo (July 23)
MG4 EV Trophy Long Range
Suzuki Swift Sport

smithy37

Post by smithy37 »

I had a Panamera Sport Turismo E-hybrid loaner for a few days & the engine was fantastic. The one I had was fitted with the sports exhaust & it sounded like the devil incarnate. I also managed to get to work on pure electric & didn’t charge it for the 3-4 days I had it.
I’d have one in a heartbeat and this is coming from someone in a new Cayenne Turbo.

Only thing I would add is be careful of the Porsche adverts. Most are showing it with the sports design package & that’s a £3.5k option, once it becomes available (I had that option removed at build due to supply issues). The car without it looks a lot tamer in my humble opinion.
Taycan Turbo S
http://www.porsche-code.com/PMPMJ963

Litchfield tuned Porsche Carrera 4 GTS (991.2)

Sold in Jan 2019 - Cayenne Turbo (E3)

Sold in 2018 - Macan Turbo (15):
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Trosley wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 8:55 am since the new S and Turbo are more sports car than SUV, as with the GTS and Turbo Macan (I hope).
The Cayenne is a large SUV, full stop, whichever version you go for. Like the Macan, it will never be 'more sports car than SUV'. They are, however, fantastic cars at what they do, and I love my Macan Turbo, but it isn't a sports car!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
smithy37

Post by smithy37 »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 10:35 am
Trosley wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 8:55 am since the new S and Turbo are more sports car than SUV, as with the GTS and Turbo Macan (I hope).
The Cayenne is a large SUV, full stop, whichever version you go for. Like the Macan, it will never be 'more sports car than SUV'. They are, however, fantastic cars at what they do, and I love my Macan Turbo, but it isn't a sports car!
Couldn’t agree more. The Sport Turismo was like a go cart. My Cayenne, although quicker on paper, feels slower but certainly more refined. Depends what you want in a car.
Taycan Turbo S
http://www.porsche-code.com/PMPMJ963

Litchfield tuned Porsche Carrera 4 GTS (991.2)

Sold in Jan 2019 - Cayenne Turbo (E3)

Sold in 2018 - Macan Turbo (15):