Discs and pads all round for cayenne 64plate

The place to discuss everything else..
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

uktivo wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 7:54 pm It's proving harder than I thought to find a good garage that will fit the bits I've purchased. Everyone so far has said no because they want to supply the goods also
Sounds like they make as much, if not more, on the parts than the labour. :geek:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018

Guy

Post by Guy »

uktivo wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 7:54 pm It's proving harder than I thought to find a good garage that will fit the bits I've purchased. Everyone so far has said no because they want to supply the goods also
Surely they will still do it but 'need' to charge extra for the labour because they are not fleecing you for the parts. If it's out of warranty and you're handy with a spanner why not have a go yourself?
Paul

Post by Paul »

They’ll probably be working in a 20-25% margin on the parts (possibly more for motor-factor parts) - I can’t see why they just don’t bump the labour figure up to cover their perceived loss of profit?
I assume the parts you’ve sourced are new and a recognised brand?
The only reason I can think is their perception of a potential lability if there is a failure down the line (where you’ll be back into your opening scenario of whose parts etc etc😮)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
uktivo

Post by uktivo »

Paul wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 9:28 pm They’ll probably be working in a 20-25% margin on the parts (possibly more for motor-factor parts) - I can’t see why they just don’t bump the labour figure up to cover their perceived loss of profit?
I assume the parts you’ve sourced are new and a recognised brand?
The only reason I can think is their perception of a potential lability if there is a failure down the line (where you’ll be back into your opening scenario of whose parts etc etc😮)
Sebro discs and brembo pads.. all new from euro car parts. They are shipping directly from Germany.
I agree. I'd happily pay a little more for their service and would only contact them again if there were a problem with the workmanship. So I've no idea why there is an issue.
My Porsche history
944 (sold)
911 (992.1 - sold)
Macan Turbo (sold)
Panamera turbo S E Hybrid (sold)
Cayenne sport (the bosses)
Taycan Turbo loving it.
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

The local BMW Dealership fitted the air suspension pump I supplied for my X5.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
happy days

Post by happy days »

It's not really a hard job. The most difficult bit is working out how go get the piston back into the caliper. Some old VW and Audis used to screw back in, but most these days just press right back in. A good lever can sort that out. The discs are pretty easy to replace, you just have to give them a good squirt with brake cleaner to get the protective greasy film off. I'd have a go myself.

Or even contact your local technical college where they train mechanics. They're always looking for real life vehicles to work on and if it was a Porsche...
Macan S D
718 S
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

You do need the right tools though. My Yeti callipers are bolted on with star head capscrews and access isn't great without the car being on a lift.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
uktivo

Post by uktivo »

Well this is turning out harder than I had thought.
The parts all eventually turned up from euro car parts, it took a total of nearly 4 weeks and I lost count how many phone calls and emails.. But.. Eventually all present and correct.

I got the car booked into my local independent yesterday with a plan to collect it today. Having heard nothing from them, I called them just after 1pm today to find out how it was going.

They told me the fronts are all done but they couldn't do the back ones as they need some Porsche software.. Umm.. Id never heard this excuse before, so a quick Google and it seems they are correct, (see below), unless someone here knows different? Again, any advise most welcome..

I'm awaiting a call from them as they are trying to locate someone that has this software..

https://youtu.be/_loMGtugkes
My Porsche history
944 (sold)
911 (992.1 - sold)
Macan Turbo (sold)
Panamera turbo S E Hybrid (sold)
Cayenne sport (the bosses)
Taycan Turbo loving it.
Tall Phil

Post by Tall Phil »

:shock: OMG....really!!

Whatever next :lol:
GTS \o/ - sold :(
Guy

Post by Guy »

uktivo wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:51 pm Well this is turning out harder than I had thought.
The parts all eventually turned up from euro car parts, it took a total of nearly 4 weeks and I lost count how many phone calls and emails.. But.. Eventually all present and correct.

I got the car booked into my local independent yesterday with a plan to collect it today. Having heard nothing from them, I called them just after 1pm today to find out how it was going.

They told me the fronts are all done but they couldn't do the back ones as they need some Porsche software.. Umm.. Id never heard this excuse before, so a quick Google and it seems they are correct, (see below), unless someone here knows different? Again, any advise most welcome..

I'm awaiting a call from them as they are trying to locate someone that has this software..

https://youtu.be/_loMGtugkes
This sort of problem is often discussed on the US Macan forum, where they are much more likely to do repairs themselves.

This post talks about a workaround if you don't have the correct software: http://www.macanforum.com/forum/engine- ... facts.html