Discs and pads all round for cayenne 64plate

The place to discuss everything else..
Tall Phil

Post by Tall Phil »

Guy wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:13 pm
This sort of problem is often discussed on the US Macan forum, where they are much more likely to do repairs themselves.

This post talks about a workaround if you don't have the correct software: http://www.macanforum.com/forum/engine- ... facts.html
That is an excellent thread, well found 8-)
GTS \o/ - sold :(

uktivo

Post by uktivo »

Guy wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:13 pm
uktivo wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:51 pm Well this is turning out harder than I had thought.
The parts all eventually turned up from euro car parts, it took a total of nearly 4 weeks and I lost count how many phone calls and emails.. But.. Eventually all present and correct.

I got the car booked into my local independent yesterday with a plan to collect it today. Having heard nothing from them, I called them just after 1pm today to find out how it was going.

They told me the fronts are all done but they couldn't do the back ones as they need some Porsche software.. Umm.. Id never heard this excuse before, so a quick Google and it seems they are correct, (see below), unless someone here knows different? Again, any advise most welcome..

I'm awaiting a call from them as they are trying to locate someone that has this software..

https://youtu.be/_loMGtugkes
This sort of problem is often discussed on the US Macan forum, where they are much more likely to do repairs themselves.

This post talks about a workaround if you don't have the correct software: http://www.macanforum.com/forum/engine- ... facts.html

Guy.. Thanks that's really useful info. I've passed it to my garage. Much appreciated.
My Porsche history
944 (sold)
911 (992.1 - sold)
Macan Turbo (sold)
Panamera turbo S E Hybrid (sold)
Cayenne sport (the bosses)
Taycan Turbo loving it.
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

I’m a bit surprised your garage doesn’t have software to wind back an electric parking brake....which is standard across nearly all VW group cars?!
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
uktivo

Post by uktivo »

CharlesElliott wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:10 am I’m a bit surprised your garage doesn’t have software to wind back an electric parking brake....which is standard across nearly all VW group cars?!
I have to say that it surprised me also.
My Porsche history
944 (sold)
911 (992.1 - sold)
Macan Turbo (sold)
Panamera turbo S E Hybrid (sold)
Cayenne sport (the bosses)
Taycan Turbo loving it.
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

I'm not sure I would be very trusting of the garage to do the job......and in that link they are unbolting the motor which isn't ideal either.....
neilj007

Post by neilj007 »

I just tried to get a quote from my local indy to do a 10K oil change on my 18 plate GTS. He won't give one until i give hem the registration no. which was requested by the local Porsche parts department

Are the parts that "unique" or is there a cartel in operation??
Macan
Taycan Turbo
Guy

Post by Guy »

^ Just pick a regn number from this forum and give them that instead - shame to spoil your own warranty! :D
Guy

Post by Guy »

CharlesElliott wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:10 am I’m a bit surprised your garage doesn’t have software to wind back an electric parking brake....which is standard across nearly all VW group cars?!
VW use VAGCOM, which apparently does not work on modern Porsche. You need PWIS II, which if obtained from official sources costs around £7K. Hence I am not surprised that this garage does not hold the software. If you have a wider look on the US Forum they talk about other alternatives to PWIS, such as iCarSoft POR-II:
Guy

Post by Guy »

CharlesElliott wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:58 am I'm not sure I would be very trusting of the garage to do the job......and in that link they are unbolting the motor which isn't ideal either.....
I wouldn't have a problem with that, as long as they torque it up correctly afterwards and replace any 'single use' bolts. No different to replacing a faulty EPB, which I would certainly trust an independent to do. Other than the bespoke EPB-reset software, there's nothing special about the rear brakes on a Porsche Macan! (EDIT: Or Cayenne!)
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

VCDS (which VAGCOM is now called) will work on quite a few Porsche modules where they are shared with VW. But there are many other tools, both Porsche specific such as Durametric, and generic such as Foxwell, that can wind back the brakes on a Porsche.

My question would be that if they don’t have the right tools, how do they know which bolts are single use and what the torque values are? But anyway, it’s really nothing to do with me. I’m sure it will be fine.