Discs and pads all round for cayenne 64plate

The place to discuss everything else..
uktivo

Post by uktivo »

smithy37 wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 7:03 am A word of warning if I may?
I had a Q7 back in the day & had my local garage fit new discs & pads & I insisted he use genuine parts. Next time around I was at the main dealer for a service & he suggested the brakes needed doing again (I’d had the car a long time) so I agreed. He had issues bleeding the brakes & told me the fluid was contaminated. I had to replace discs, pads, master cylinders & all the lines. He noted non-genuine parts had been used & suggested whoever had fitted them had contaminated the brake fluid.

Cost was about 16 grand for all of the work!!
I got on to my local supplier who denied touching the brake fluid, & also claimed he thought he had used genuine parts, so I was at an impasse & the car now off the road. I couldn’t drive the car away, effectively scrapping it and couldn’t argue as everyone was blaming each other, so if it wasn’t for Audi UK’s intervention & a very large gesture of good will I would have been knackered.

Moral of the story is insist on genuine replacement parts. The mark up of these parts shouldn’t really be an issue here, but labour costs certainly will. So if you decide to go to an independent make sure you see the receipt for the genuine parts.
Thanks for the note of caution.. it has been noted...

I purchased the parts from euro cars online at the weekend, sebro discs and brembo pads.
The car has literally (Thursday) had a full dealer service including brake fluid change, my understanding is the fitting company shouldn't need to touch this fluid, they just clamp off and do the work, then unclamp, however, I will stress that they mustn't touch the brake fluid just in case...
My Porsche history
944 (sold)
911 (992.1 - sold)
Macan Turbo (sold)
Panamera turbo S E Hybrid (sold)
Cayenne sport (the bosses)
Taycan Turbo loving it.

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Yes, disc and pad replacement does not involve the brake fluid system.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

I was going to post similar; either the Audi garage was trying it on, or the local garage had pushed the Pistons out and rather than redo properly, had made a hash of refitting them? No way that non OEM pads and rotors will destroy a braking system, without other factors coming into play?
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
Third stage

Post by Third stage »

If your Cayenne has just had a Brake fluid change be aware that when the pistons are pushed back into the callipers to accommodate the new pad and disc thickness the fluid level will rise in the reservoir and could well overflow so steps must be taken to stop the fluid getting on paintwork etc. Also the area around the cap should be thoroughly cleaned prior to work starting as this a possible source of fluid contamination.
smithy37

Post by smithy37 »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 10:48 am Yes, disc and pad replacement does not involve the brake fluid system.
Yeah, that’s what I thought, and it’s what the independent said. Audi on the other hand were adamant it was contaminated & wouldn’t bleed.
Taycan Turbo S
http://www.porsche-code.com/PMPMJ963

Litchfield tuned Porsche Carrera 4 GTS (991.2)

Sold in Jan 2019 - Cayenne Turbo (E3)

Sold in 2018 - Macan Turbo (15):
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

Smithy, It sounds like your problem was contaminated brake fluid which could have happened anytime. Its one of the many fillers caps inside the engine bay and anyone could have put the wrong thing in the wrong place. It could even have been someone putting washer fluid in the wrong place. Changing the discs and pads even with none Audi ones would have no effect what so ever on this. Brake fluid hardly ever needs topped up when replacing pads and discs.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
smithy37

Post by smithy37 »

Rab J wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 6:19 pm Smithy, It sounds like your problem was contaminated brake fluid which could have happened anytime. Its one of the many fillers caps inside the engine bay and anyone could have put the wrong thing in the wrong place. It could even have been someone putting washer fluid in the wrong place. Changing the discs and pads even with none Audi ones would have no effect what so ever on this. Brake fluid hardly ever needs topped up when replacing pads and discs.
This was years ago so all a bit of a moot point, but I certainly didn’t contaminate the fluid myself.The car was working, took it to Audi dealer for service & then the car was off road. I was faced with paying an extortionate bill or scrapping the car. There were claims, counter-claims and accusations of none OEM parts used.
I couldn’t afford to fight the dealers lawyers & getting a low loader was the only other option.
Everyone denied responsibility & fortunately Audi UK stepped in with a rather large gesture of goodwill.
Mine was purely a cautionary tale.
Taycan Turbo S
http://www.porsche-code.com/PMPMJ963

Litchfield tuned Porsche Carrera 4 GTS (991.2)

Sold in Jan 2019 - Cayenne Turbo (E3)

Sold in 2018 - Macan Turbo (15):
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

smithy37 wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 7:22 pm
Rab J wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 6:19 pm Smithy, It sounds like your problem was contaminated brake fluid which could have happened anytime. Its one of the many fillers caps inside the engine bay and anyone could have put the wrong thing in the wrong place. It could even have been someone putting washer fluid in the wrong place. Changing the discs and pads even with none Audi ones would have no effect what so ever on this. Brake fluid hardly ever needs topped up when replacing pads and discs.
This was years ago so all a bit of a moot point, but I certainly didn’t contaminate the fluid myself.The car was working, took it to Audi dealer for service & then the car was off road. I was faced with paying an extortionate bill or scrapping the car. There were claims, counter-claims and accusations of none OEM parts used.
I couldn’t afford to fight the dealers lawyers & getting a low loader was the only other option.
Everyone denied responsibility & fortunately Audi UK stepped in with a rather large gesture of goodwill.
Mine was purely a cautionary tale.
Certainly sounds like you had a big one to swallow, and certainly likely to make you cauious about none main dealer work. The fact that they did not fit the discs and pads made it easy for them to blame someone else, even though it was unlikely that a mechanic competent enough to replace discs and pads would have used the wrong brake fluid, even if it was highly unlikely that it needed any.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
happy days

Post by happy days »

I had a boxster 986 a few years ago and I put in non-genuine brake pads once - from Design911, I believe. Each time the brake pedal was depressed, (I tried to cheer it up, before anyone chimes in...) the pads disgorged a horrible brown dust which stuck to the rims like cowshite on the sills. It made the driving experience terrible as the wheels were permanently filthy. That said, a good set of Pagid pads or similar should be ok.
Macan S D
718 S
uktivo

Post by uktivo »

It's proving harder than I thought to find a good garage that will fit the bits I've purchased. Everyone so far has said no because they want to supply the goods also
My Porsche history
944 (sold)
911 (992.1 - sold)
Macan Turbo (sold)
Panamera turbo S E Hybrid (sold)
Cayenne sport (the bosses)
Taycan Turbo loving it.