Re Electric anyone here considering?

The place to discuss everything else..
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

What's the view, jump in or wait for a Macan version. Never sure about first editions and it is a Jag 😳Col😖 Although this is being built outside the usual system

IMG_0237.JPG

IMG_0236.JPG

Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian. Delivery update mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6

Col M

Post by Col M »

Totally contra to my current car usage 😕. Weekly one short shopping journey and 2-3 journeys of 250-400 miles, hence diesel. With communal car parking at home so no overnight charge possible. EV is not the direction for me.
Expired Porsche code PJVNAUH5 Rhodium SD :roll: Agate & Pebble
johnd

Post by johnd »

Yes, as per various other threads running. I have a deposit down (but probably looking for delivery next year not this, unless there's a change of mind/availability). I have seen one at Boston already, but the touring I-Pace roadshow (one of 4 currently around the UK) reaches my local dealer in Cambridge on Wednesday so will revisit it then. No test drives available until July time though apparently.

My pattern of usage is rather different to Col's - mostly short and medium (eg max 200 miles round-trip), with very few long distance. I've commented on various reasons why the I-Pace move looks good to me in other threads so won't repeat in detail here, but happy to respond to any specific questions. But in a nutshell:

• Think I'll really like the electric driving characteristics;
  • I'll certainly like the 4.5 sec 0-60;
  • The dash seems modern rather than classic with features like HUD available;
  • It's driving the future rather than the past;
  • There's no Porsche alternative available - Mission E looks like being a BIG but low car (+ cost etc);
Last edited by johnd on Mon May 07, 2018 10:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

MikeM wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 9:18 am What's the view, jump in or wait for a Macan version. Never sure about first editions and it is a Jag 😳Col😖 Although this is being built outside the usual system

IMG_0237.JPG

IMG_0236.JPG
You'll be waiting a long time for an EV Macan, so if you want an EV now(ish) then this is your only option for a compact SUV.
MacanArif

Post by MacanArif »

I have one EV (i3) in the household and it works pretty well when you have other cars. Wouldn't work for us if it was the main car.
Current:
992 Turbo (July 23)
MG4 EV Trophy Long Range
VW Caravelle 6.1 4motion DSG
Suzuki Swift Sport

Previous Macan SD, Macan Turbo, Macan Turbo, 991.1 C4GTS coupe, 996 C4S coupe, Macan Turbo, 991.2 C4GTS coupe; 991.2 GT3; 992 C2S; 991.1 Turbo S
Deleted User 1874

johnd wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 10:08 am Yes, as per various other threads running. I have a deposit down (but probably looking for delivery next year not this, unless there's a change of mind/availability).

My pattern of usage is rather different to Col's - mostly short and medium (eg max 200 miles round-trip), with very few long distance. I've commented on various reasons why the I-Pace move looks good to me in other threads so won't repeat here, but happy to respond to any specific questions. But in a nutshell:

• Think I'll really like the electric driving characteristics;
  • I'll certainly like the 4.5 sec 0-60;
  • The dash seems modern rather than classic with features like HUD available;
  • It's driving the future rather than the past;
  • There's no Porsche alternative available - Mission E looks like being a BIG but low car (+ cost etc);
I think you'll love the way these EVs drive. It's hard not to be impressed with the effortless performance and simplicity. I wouldn't buy anything else now for a daily driver. It was Japfest at Silverstone this weekend and the smell of fuel, pointlessly noisy engines and the massive queue at the BP garage (as I wafted silently past) hit home how much I dislike all those things now. This is coming from a former petrol-head too!
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

I do like the look of the new iPace.

There will be one on display at Inchcape (or whatever they are called) in Preston this Saturday and I am intending to call in to have a look.

Being built elsewhere may well be a bonus, but if past form is anything to go by I am not expecting the quality of the materials used in the iPace to be up to Porsche standards but there again neither are Merc, Besmers, Volvo, Audi or Lexus, so probably it is against these marques that the Jag should be compared.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Deleted User 1874

Col Lamb wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 11:22 am I do like the look of the new iPace.

There will be one on display at Inchcape (or whatever they are called) in Preston this Saturday and I am intending to call in to have a look.

Being built elsewhere may well be a bonus, but if past form is anything to go by I am not expecting the quality of the materials used in the iPace to be up to Porsche standards but there again neither are Merc, Besmers, Volvo, Audi or Lexus, so probably it is against these marques that the Jag should be compared.
I'm not sure how much of this is brand perception, but I don't personally see anything special in Porsche "quality of materials" compared to any other premium brand or even some much cheaper cars. I have total respect for Porsche engineering, but when it comes to materials, I've seen plenty of dodgy cheap looking plastic inside 911s (I agree 991 was a step forward from 997 which was a massive step forward from 996!). Comparing with current Audi, Volvo etc, they are all much of a muchness to me i.e. all of decent material quality. What puts Porsche ahead is vehicle dynamics, as was always the case. Nobody bought a 911 or a 996 because they thought the interior was of amazing quality. You actually bought them despite their dubious interior quality!

I would tend to agree that current Jag F-Pace interiors look a bit on the cheap side. My wife and I looked at one last year and left the showroom unimpressed with no intention of returning. I looked closely at the Macan and Cayenne recently too and wasn't hugely impressed, although they are of decent enough quality, no doubt. But sit in a new Volvo XC90 and it feels just as good, if not even better in material finish. I'm sure the iPace will have an interior that most people would be happy to sit in, but personally I think it's a bit too reserved. My Tesla Model X may not have "luxury" trim details, but the overall cabin ambience is amazing and better than anything else I've ever sat in. It feels more like sitting in a helicopter than a car. That's why I'm disappointed in the Jag opting for such a conservative interior. I would now find it dull and claustrophobic by comparison.
davetronic

Post by davetronic »

Not sure how this new “white noise” stuff is going to affect EVs. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rians.html. Sounds like a nightmare in traffic. Better surely to pass a law against jaywalking, using phones & headphones when crossing roads, etc. And fitting a noise generator to pushbikes in built up areas!
Keen to see the iPace but have a pathological dislike of Jaguars, and my wife still thinks they are for the Arthur Daleys of this world. However, also getting tired of waiting for sensible info on facelift Macans from Porsche having had a deposit down for ages. They must know what they are going to be selling so why not tell us? Need to sell my Ghibli before too long so will be checking out the iPace ASAP.
Present: Macan S 2019 (PK1QF9N7), Audi Q3 S-line Quattro
Previous: Maserati Ghibli, 944, 911, Cayman, many Benz & BMW coupes. Sahara Beige Capri with brown vinyl roof. And a Renault R4L. (I'd like another).
johnd

Post by johnd »

davetronic wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 12:18 pm Not sure how this new “white noise” stuff is going to affect EVs. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rians.html. Sounds like a nightmare in traffic.
I'm told the I-Pace is designed to make an external noise up to 30mph. Internal sound is apparently configurable - some sort of turbine-like noise I think. One problem right now is that there have been no independent road tests published as yet (other than a few minutes in pre-production models in tightly controlled circumstances), so hard info is difficult to come by.

If you're at all interested in I-Pace then there's a related forum to this one at: https://www.ipaceforums.co.uk/ . In the Main Chat section there's a video gallery, albeit rather limited because press cars for extended road-tests don't seem to have been released yet.
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly