Re Electric anyone here considering?

The place to discuss everything else..
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Peteski wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 10:07 am
SAC1 wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 8:05 pm Here's an interesting EV pros and cons feature in today's AutoExpress e-article:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/e ... ning-an-ev
That's actually quite a well balanced view (if a little ladybird book). You would have thought they could have interviewed a few more full EV owners though.

The "driving fun" part of the article is highly debatable when discussing mundane petrol/diesels vs EVs. There is no "fun" in driving a typical manual diesel hatch. I'm pretty sure I'd have more "fun" driving a BMW i3 for example.
Perhaps they had a job finding EV drivers as they are so thin on the ground still :lol:

The Golf GTD is excellent - fast and frugal. Much quicker across country than the i3 in the real world. The GTD has a great chassis and with much wider low profile tyres. = Loads of "fun". :D :D
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver

SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Electric cars to be issued with a noise at low speeds to prevent accidents

www.petrolprices.com/news/electric-cars ... nt=summary

"......Although the EU will be making it mandatory for car manufacturers to fit these devices to new cars from 2019, with all electric and hybrid cars already on the roads being required to have a sounder retrofitted by 2021, SteerSafe feel that this is not good enough as these ‘Silent Killers’ are already causing a risk on the roads."
Steve

Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

SAC1 wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 1:28 pm Electric cars to be issued with a noise at low speeds to prevent accidents

www.petrolprices.com/news/electric-cars ... nt=summary

"......Although the EU will be making it mandatory for car manufacturers to fit these devices to new cars from 2019, with all electric and hybrid cars already on the roads being required to have a sounder retrofitted by 2021, SteerSafe feel that this is not good enough as these ‘Silent Killers’ are already causing a risk on the roads."
As with most journalism, they misquoted the retrofit part. It doesn't mean that existing EVs on the road will need to be retro-fitted with these stupid nanny noise devices, it actually means that existing car models will need to be retrofitted. So new models coming out from 2019 will need to be supplied with noise makers, while existing models will not need them until 2021. All EVs currently driving around will not need to be retrofitted. Although I believe all facelift Teslas onward have the wiring pre-fitted for such devices. It's got to be the most stupid piece of legislation of the century!
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

SAC1 wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 11:27 am The Golf GTD is excellent - fast and frugal. Much quicker across country than the i3 in the real world. The GTD has a great chassis and with much wider low profile tyres. = Loads of "fun". :D :D
If you say so. I had one for a while and it was okay with the dsg gearbox. But to describe it as "fun" would be a bit of a stretch IMHO. Competent and sensible are terms that spring more readily to mind. Anyway I've just been out in my wife's diesel Qashqai and that definitely isn't any fun at all to drive! What it really needs is an EV drivetrain, lol.
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Peteski wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 2:36 pm
SAC1 wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 11:27 am The Golf GTD is excellent - fast and frugal. Much quicker across country than the i3 in the real world. The GTD has a great chassis and with much wider low profile tyres. = Loads of "fun". :D :D
If you say so. I had one for a while and it was okay with the dsg gearbox. But to describe it as "fun" would be a bit of a stretch IMHO. Competent and sensible are terms that spring more readily to mind. Anyway I've just been out in my wife's diesel Qashqai and that definitely isn't any fun at all to drive! What it really needs is an EV drivetrain, lol.
or better yet a 3.0 V6 diesel. :lol:
Steve

SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Peteski wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 2:36 pm
Bet they'll make a great throaty sound.....NOT :lol:
Steve