Some E xciting developments coming 18/19

The place to discuss everything else..
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Tesla model 3.PNG

Tesla model 3 - ugly or lovely? :roll:

The only EV that has good design so far is the Jag iPace IMHO. Would I buy one though - no!
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver

Nosmo

Post by Nosmo »

SAC1 wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 8:05 pm Tesla model 3.PNG

Tesla model 3 - ugly or lovely? :roll:

The only EV that has good design so far is the Jag iPace IMHO. Would I buy one though - no!
Nah - Scalectrix EV vehicles are the nuts
Deposit paid 14/12/13 - Picked up on 14/03/15.PF9FZLV2
GTS: PHVVUV96 Picked up on 16/06/16
Cayman GTS on order - due for delivery Nov '18
Guy

Post by Guy »

This one's electric:

IMG_1085.JPG

Guy

Post by Guy »

... but to be honest I thought the 'ugly or lovely' question was rhetorical :)
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

Had a sit in the iPace at the London Motor Show yesterday. Have to say I was disappointed with the quality of the interior plastics.
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Mark Webber has driven the Mission E recently (car was heavily disguised) and called it a game changer. ;)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Wing Commander wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 4:16 pm Mark Webber has driven the Mission E recently (car was heavily disguised) and called it a game changer. ;)
I know Mark personally (I used to be his race engineer in F1) so I'll ask him about it. I've spoken to him before about EVs (a good few years ago) and their potential to become "game-changers". Now we are finally seeing it all unfold. I have no doubt the Mission-E will be amazing and probably blow their own Panamera into touch in terms of powertrain performance and refinement. The only question mark is the increased weight, which is the real achilles heel of performance EVs.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Hi Pete. Look for the video on YouTube. It's only a couple of minutes, and Mark seems impressed with the car overall. :)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Peteski wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 4:56 pm
Wing Commander wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 4:16 pm Mark Webber has driven the Mission E recently (car was heavily disguised) and called it a game changer. ;)
I know Mark personally (I used to be his race engineer in F1) so I'll ask him about it. I've spoken to him before about EVs (a good few years ago) and their potential to become "game-changers". Now we are finally seeing it all unfold. I have no doubt the Mission-E will be amazing and probably blow their own Panamera into touch in terms of powertrain performance and refinement. The only question mark is the increased weight, which is the real achilles heel of performance EVs.
I would not totally agree with you:-

Lower CoG.

A more controllable position of the CoG since no heavy engine/gearbox/diff to apcater for in the design.

Less rotating masses.

Less torque steer.

Superior performance of electric motor v ICE.

More efficient internal, boot and space under the hood as no intrusive drive tunnel.

Greater design flexibility in the placement of cabin equipment.

Greater flexibility in A/C equipment placement.

Great flexibility in body design
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Col Lamb wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 5:17 pm
Peteski wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 4:56 pm
I would not totally agree with you:-

Lower CoG.

A more controllable position of the CoG since no heavy engine/gearbox/diff to apcater for in the design.

Less rotating masses.

Less torque steer.

Superior performance of electric motor v ICE.

More efficient internal, boot and space under the hood as no intrusive drive tunnel.

Greater design flexibility in the placement of cabin equipment.

Greater flexibility in A/C equipment placement.

Great flexibility in body design
As I said, increased total weight is the ONLY downside regarding performance and handling. Literally everything else is a positive and hence it ought to blow the Panamera away. But having studied vehicle dynamics and engineered high level racing cars for several decades you can't help but notice that mass is a fundamental parameter in any vehicle dynamics model. If you have to make the car say 2-300 kg heavier than an equivalent ICE car then that's quite a disadvantage to overcome. I think Porsche are estimating 2200 kg for the Mission-E vs around 2000 kg for the slightly larger Panamera. Porsche themselves have stated that they chose to build the Mission-E as a large touring car rather than a smaller sportscar due to the battery weight being less of a penalty in that size and class of car. The same applies to the Tesla Model S and X.