Some E xciting developments coming 18/19

The place to discuss everything else..
johnd

Post by johnd »

Col Lamb wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 10:10 am A button is a button, anyone can determine its location by feel if necessary.

That cannot be said of a large LCD screen where the driver has to look at the screen to operate the onscreen pseudo switch.

Physical switches are safer.
I'm no great evangelist for Tesla, let me make that clear - much too big and too expensive for me. But there's no doubt in my mind that Macan is an ergonomic nightmare. So you can find every switch in the Macan by feel (and know what function it controls)? I'm impressed if you really can do that - I have to take my eyes off the road every time I need sport mode, let alone some of the more obscure functions, especially those up above (which if you're short-sighted and wearing distance glasses for driving are utterly impossible to fathom - the buttons are simultaneously slightly awkward to reach up to, while impossible to read).

I'm not sure about the giant-sized iPad in the Tesla - I'm not comfortable with the principle of controlling so much from the touchscreen. But from what I understand, with it being an EV and with many functions intelligently automated or available via the steering wheel switches, there are probably few occasions when you do need to change anything on the touchscreen on the move.

That said, I do like the idea of a few well-placed physical switches and looking forward to test-driving the I-Pace which goes quite some way towards the Tesla UI, while retaining physical controls for a few key functions like HVAC and so could well turn out to be the ideal compromise. But equally I wouldn't rule out it being a necessary staging post on the way to full touchscreen control for those of us of a more nervous disposition. :shock:

Incidentally, next Monday seems to be when the embargo lifts for I-Pace first-drive reports, so probably a lot more information next week. (Reports thus far have been either the official launch video or 5-minute rides in very contrived circumstances.)
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly

Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

johnd wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 10:36 am
I'm not sure about the giant-sized iPad in the Tesla - I'm not comfortable with the principle of controlling so much from the touchscreen. But from what I understand, with it being an EV and with many functions intelligently automated or available via the steering wheel switches, there are probably few occasions when you do need to change anything on the touchscreen on the move.
I was open-minded about the big "iPad" and it works remarkably well on the whole and I'm certainly not missing any button fest! You are of course correct, there isn't much interaction with the touchscreen required while actually driving and what there is is simple e.g. fog lights, ride height. Wipers, headlights etc are all on conventional column stalks and you can adjust things like music volume, cabin temperature, phone etc from the steering wheel scroll wheels/buttons. In short it's the easiest car to drive ever and all pretty intuitive after a very short learning curve.

If the iPace turns out to be a similar experience then you will be happy for sure!
Deleted User 1874

Orangebulldog wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 7:53 am Porsches are drivers cars, who bloody cares about the gadget tech.
Well it's obvious Porsche don't care about the tech! They are great cars despite their low-tech interiors, not because of them. But while that was perhaps acceptable in the 1980s (take a look inside a 911 of that era if you want to see a truly crap dysfunctional interior) it is not going to cut it with me in 2018 - at least not for a luxury family SUV. Porsche have only relatively recently started producing half decent interior designs (997 era onwards) and it is still not their strongpoint. The Macan in particular is now really suffering on the interior tech compared to most of its competitors. That may not matter too much on your favourite B-road, but that's not how most people spend the majority of their time in these cars.
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Peteski wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 1:01 pm
Orangebulldog wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 7:53 am Porsches are drivers cars, who bloody cares about the gadget tech.
Well it's obvious Porsche don't care about the tech! They are great cars despite their low-tech interiors, not because of them. But while that was perhaps acceptable in the 1980s (take a look inside a 911 of that era if you want to see a truly crap dysfunctional interior) it is not going to cut it with me in 2018 - at least not for a luxury family SUV. Porsche have only relatively recently started producing half decent interior designs (997 era onwards) and it is still not their strongpoint. The Macan in particular is now really suffering on the interior tech compared to most of its competitors. That may not matter too much on your favourite B-road, but that's not how most people spend the majority of their time in these cars.
I don’t think it’s the case that Porsche don’t care but rather that their traditional market isn’t or hasn’t been too fussed. Having said Porsche, whether totally planned or not, now find themselves in the mass rather than niche market and daily drivers have vastly different demands in which Porsche have relatively little experience. And as we discussed yesterday they need to move forward at an acceptable speed. But I do believe they’ve been caught with their pants down and their recent acquisitions etc would indicate their desire to address the issue.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Deleted User 1874

Dandock wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 2:10 pm
Peteski wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 1:01 pm
I don’t think it’s the case that Porsche don’t care but rather that their traditional market isn’t or hasn’t been too fussed. Having said Porsche, whether totally planned or not, now find themselves in the mass rather than niche market and daily drivers have vastly different demands in which Porsche have relatively little experience. And as we discussed yesterday they need to move forward at an acceptable speed. But I do believe they’ve been caught with their pants down and their recent acquisitions etc would indicate their desire to address the issue.
It will be great if Porsche do rise to the challenge of competing on all fronts. They have all the expertise they need in chassis dynamics and build quality, but they need vision in their boardroom which may be an issue with VAG holding the reins. I've lost all respect for VW in recent years and not just over the diesel scandal. Last time I test drove a Passat and the Tiguan (just before the new one came out) they were both dire!
happy days

Post by happy days »

On the interiors of Macans, when we got ours first, many, many people commented on the interior comparing it to the inside of an aeroplane. Probably, as you all point out, to do with the plethora of switches. However, none of the comments were anything but positive.

The 718S that I also drive daily has a much pared down version, and I think it is just about perfect for a sports car.
Macan S D
718 S
muxty

Post by muxty »

happy days wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 3:32 pm On the interiors of Macans, when we got ours first, many, many people commented on the interior comparing it to the inside of an aeroplane. Probably, as you all point out, to do with the plethora of switches. However, none of the comments were anything but positive.

The 718S that I also drive daily has a much pared down version, and I think it is just about perfect for a sports car.
My wives Macan that we got 2 years ago (now sold) received the same positive reactions back then. Seemed like people were impressed with the cockpit style look and that all the buttons associated them with airplanes.

But funny thing is that the same bunch of people (friends, relatives, etc) now jumps into the Tesla and the feedback is more "wow, this is the future" kind of reactions. When we take them for a spin many have said that this for sure is one of the coolest experiences they had. And the younger crowed can't stop saying wow and just want more of it.

I live in Switzerland and over here Teslas are very popular. The perception of the brand is in general very positive over here and I've never owned a car before that creates so many positive reactions.
Deleted User 1874

Looking at various concept cars, it seems clear that having loads of buttons scattered everywhere is going away whether we like it or not. Tesla have simply done it first, a bit like Apple did with their original iPhone. Now all phones are like that and few people complain. It was very different when Blackberry was still popular among business users. It was the grey suits who were the last to make that switch to a touchscreen UI.
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Back to the Future.....

Electric Classic Cars creates classic Rangie with Model S batteries - here's the modestly paced video

Tesla powered Range Rover

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-bri ... e=20180531
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Could be a fly in the fuse though!

With up to a million electric cars due to hit Britain’s roads by 2020, can our charging infrastructure keep up?

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/nissan/lea ... newsletter
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver