Some E xciting developments coming 18/19

The place to discuss everything else..
smithy37

Post by smithy37 »

Dandock wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:43 pm Porsche buy 10% of Rimac

http://www.thedrive.com/tech/21634/pors ... aker-rimac
Are they moving into hair removal cream now?
Taycan Turbo S
http://www.porsche-code.com/PMPMJ963

Litchfield tuned Porsche Carrera 4 GTS (991.2)

Sold in Jan 2019 - Cayenne Turbo (E3)

Sold in 2018 - Macan Turbo (15):

SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Auto Express report on 20 June:
"New fuel tech partnership between Hyundai and Audi extends to the rest of the VW Group and Kia"
This is for fuel cell development.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

The exciting developments in EV tech seem to be upsetting Nissan Leaf owners.

If a new Leaf has a second rapid charge on a journey the rapid charge is not to rapid.

One owner on a 300 mile trip recently had to wait 2.5 hours for the second rapid charge to occur.

Full story
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44575399
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Col Lamb wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:38 pm The exciting developments in EV tech seem to be upsetting Nissan Leaf owners.

If a new Leaf has a second rapid charge on a journey the rapid charge is not to rapid.

One owner on a 300 mile trip recently had to wait 2.5 hours for the second rapid charge to occur.

Full story
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44575399
Amazing how many owners would buy a car based on the range quoted in a standard NEDC test! I have a bit more sympathy about the claimed rapid charge times though.
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

When I passed through the Eurotunnel recently, only the Tesla chargers (4off) were working, and these other two were still inoperable 4 days later when a friend was there. Not much fun if you just about got there in your EV and were hoping to re-charge in order to board the shuttle. The infrastructure has a long way to go.

IMG_2282.jpg

"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

I was in Austria last week and the popular 121-bedroom 4* hotel where we were staying has a hire Tesla Model X 100 sat outside in their car park entrance area to the hotel. It has a dedicated Tesla charger point too.

At reception they had a poster advertising it for hire - 99 euros for 2 hours [60 euros for each extra hour] or 299 euros for a day and of course with the bonus of no fuel charges. This poster was in every bedroom too. So I enquired how often it was being hired out. I was told it is on loan from Tesla and in 4 months it had only been hired out 5 x times. Interestingly all to non-Austrians - these 5 hotel guest 'testers' being from the US, italy, Britain and, Germany. None had expressed an interest in buying one as a result of their 'test drive'. So I asked why - "too expensive" or "one-dimensional" was their response.

The hotel car park was packed with guests' Audis, BMWs, Mercedes' and a few Lexus, Porsches and Range Rovers - and a solitary Renault Zoe. There being a guests' EV charger available in their underground car park.

During my week, extensively touring the Tyrol area, i did not see a single Tesla [S or X]. I did see 6 x Macans and numerous Cayennes, 911s and 2 x Panameras.
Steve

bilun777

Post by bilun777 »

I had to read that twice.
I thought 99 Euros was a bit dear for only 2 hours charging.
I see you got the tesla model X thrown in for free... ;)
Sapphire blue SD,Luxor Beige,Delivered Nov 16.
Deleted User 1874

SAC1 wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:51 pm I was in Austria last week and the popular 121-bedroom 4* hotel where we were staying has a hire Tesla Model X 100 sat outside in their car park entrance area to the hotel. It has a dedicated Tesla charger point too.

At reception they had a poster advertising it for hire - 99 euros for 2 hours [60 euros for each extra hour] or 299 euros for a day and of course with the bonus of no fuel charges. This poster was in every bedroom too. So I enquired how often it was being hired out. I was told it is on loan from Tesla and in 4 months it had only been hired out 5 x times. Interestingly all to non-Austrians - these 5 hotel guest 'testers' being from the US, italy, Britain and, Germany. None had expressed an interest in buying one as a result of their 'test drive'. So I asked why - "too expensive" or "one-dimensional" was their response.

The hotel car park was packed with guests' Audis, BMWs, Mercedes' and a few Lexus, Porsches and Range Rovers - and a solitary Renault Zoe. There being a guests' EV charger available in their underground car park.

During my week, extensively touring the Tyrol area, i did not see a single Tesla [S or X]. I did see 6 x Macans and numerous Cayennes, 911s and 2 x Panameras.
Cool story bro. I'm surprised you didn't hire the Tesla just to affirm your hatred, lol.

So a Model X is "one dimensional" is it? I wonder which dimension they picked as ours is pretty good at most things, being the most versatile car I've ever driven. I'm struggling to think of another 7 seater that can match it in performance, cabin space, fuel economy and tech. The nearest I found overall was the Volvo XC90 T8 and that fell way short on drivetrain performance and handling. Then there's the Cayenne of course, but it's smaller inside and you need to go into Turbo territory to get the same level of real world performance as a base Model X. Is the X too expensive? Well mine was considerably cheaper than anything else we considered on a 4-year PCP so I don't think so. Not having to worry about fuel costs while putting down 480 hp is a great bonus too. Running a Cayenne Turbo long haul would be pretty painful at the pumps. But yeah, it's all one-dimensional, lol.
Deleted User 1874

Bigboyrolo wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:34 pm When I passed through the Eurotunnel recently, only the Tesla chargers (4off) were working, and these other two were still inoperable 4 days later when a friend was there. Not much fun if you just about got there in your EV and were hoping to re-charge in order to board the shuttle. The infrastructure has a long way to go.
IMG_2282.jpg
I agree. The Tesla Supercharger network is a demonstration of how they should all be doing it. Superchargers are reliable, quick (120 kW) and there is no faffing about with cards, Apps, phone calls etc when using them. You simply plug in and start charging straight away. I've heard of too many failures or time lost faffing around trying to initiate a charge at public chargers. It will be interesting to see how iPace owners cope in the next year or two. it should get better, but when exactly? 2019? 2020? Even later? I expect it might even get worse in the short term as EVs become more mainstream and the infrastructure lags behind. It's a classic chicken and egg situation.
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Peteski wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:09 am
Cool story bro. I'm surprised you didn't hire the Tesla just to affirm your hatred, lol.

So a Model X is "one dimensional" is it? I wonder which dimension they picked as ours is pretty good at most things, being the most versatile car I've ever driven. I'm struggling to think of another 7 seater that can match it in performance, cabin space, fuel economy and tech. The nearest I found overall was the Volvo XC90 T8 and that fell way short on drivetrain performance and handling. Then there's the Cayenne of course, but it's smaller inside and you need to go into Turbo territory to get the same level of real world performance as a base Model X. Is the X too expensive? Well mine was considerably cheaper than anything else we considered on a 4-year PCP so I don't think so. Not having to worry about fuel costs while putting down 480 hp is a great bonus too. Running a Cayenne Turbo long haul would be pretty painful at the pumps. But yeah, it's all one-dimensional, lol.
True story dude. I do not have a hatred of Tesla, but i'm not convinced about BEVs in general as they are not universally usable like ICE vehicles.

The EU hotel guest were probably given the RRP price of that particular model - north of £95k / 100k euros.

"The noise was just like driving a vacuum cleaner" was one of the comments. Perhaps they had the forthcoming Dyson car in mind!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Steve