Some E xciting developments coming 18/19

The place to discuss everything else..
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Peteski wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:40 am
Dandock wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:10 pm
Peteski wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:52 pm

EVs are already the present for me!

10 days in a mundane ICE hire car (Ford Cmax) on holiday reminded me why I switched to EV. The rattle of a diesel and ultra-sluggish auto was tiresome. Not to mention a dash display and controls from the previous century. Just to rub it in there was a bank of Tesla Superchargers in the local shopping mall (just outside Nice). Maybe we'll drive down in the Tesla next time as the cost would be zero.
Regardless of the ICE I think anyone moving from a high end vehicle to a radically smaller rental-specced holiday car suffers similarly.
Sure, but this time it was much worse than usual, especially in drivetrain and user interface. Usually it's just the low rent interior and lack of power that I notice. This brand new Grand CMax was actually pretty highly specced and quite roomy inside, but my god was the UI a dog's dinner of buttons, dials and low res screens. I didn't know where to start looking for stuff.
That seems somewhat reminiscent of the WP journo’s initial reaction to the Model 3 pad. 🤔😬
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀

Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

MikeM wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:19 am I just love this thread but have to say, Peteski no disrespect but you do so much remind me of a reformed smoker 😂😂😂🤐
Not that I've ever smoked, but I would imagine it's quite a similar revelation :D
Not just me either. My wife was thinking exactly the same thing and even the kids commented on how much nicer it is riding in the Tesla. It's hard to overstate how much better it really is on a daily basis. Not just because it's electric either, it's the whole package that I prefer. I'm not even missing the 911 we sold and the old classic one hasn't turned a wheel this summer. I would like another sports car, but far more likely to get something like a BMW i8 now. Also desperately need to get rid of our diesel Qashqai, which is awful to drive back-to-back. A car that I once happily drove for 3 years alongside a 997.2 C4S and the Qashqai even had the better UI in that comparison!

8K miles on the Tesla now, zero issues and not the slightest regret in taking what I considered to be a big risk. I can confidently say at this point that all our future family wagons will be pure EVs unless something better comes along, which I very much doubt in the next 20 years. Not so sure on the pure sports car front, but probably hybrid or pure EV for me too. The upcoming Tesla Roadster is probably a bit OTT, but the Model 3 P would be very tempting as a second car. Also seriously considering a BMW i8 hybrid in the meantime.
Deleted User 1874

Dandock wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:39 am
Peteski wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:40 am
Dandock wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:10 pm

Regardless of the ICE I think anyone moving from a high end vehicle to a radically smaller rental-specced holiday car suffers similarly.
Sure, but this time it was much worse than usual, especially in drivetrain and user interface. Usually it's just the low rent interior and lack of power that I notice. This brand new Grand CMax was actually pretty highly specced and quite roomy inside, but my god was the UI a dog's dinner of buttons, dials and low res screens. I didn't know where to start looking for stuff.
That seems somewhat reminiscent of the WP journo’s initial reaction to the Model 3 pad. 🤔😬
Probably, but look how easily that young kid in that other review got to grips with it. The iPad generation will have no trouble finding their way around and the Tesla UI is far more intuitive than any other current car UI I've ever come across. I've battled long and hard with BMW's iDrive and wasn't that impressed with the latest Volvo UI (which seems clumsy and fiddly next to the Tesla system). Porsche I'm afraid are nowhere in this respect, although I haven't tried their latest systems in the Panamera and new Cayenne. But the previous Cayenne, 997 and 991 UIs were all messy and dated IMHO, even when looking back 3 years ago. That was before I'd even set foot anywhere near a Tesla and I thought our Qashqai had a better screen, nav and more intuitive controls.

Porsche do great work in mechanical engineering, but their interior tech is starting to look like a joke. They might not be to everyone's taste, but Tesla have moved the goalposts in automotive tech and it really shows when you drive them back-to-back with anything conventional. A Porsche chassis with a Tesla drivetrain and UI would be an awesome combination! Maybe the Taycan will be close to that ideal, but I doubt it will be possible to get in one this decade.
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Peteski wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:35 pm
MikeM wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:19 am I just love this thread but have to say, Peteski no disrespect but you do so much remind me of a reformed smoker 😂😂😂🤐
Not that I've ever smoked, but I would imagine it's quite a similar revelation :D
Not just me either. My wife was thinking exactly the same thing and even the kids commented on how much nicer it is riding in the Tesla. It's hard to overstate how much better it really is on a daily basis. Not just because it's electric either, it's the whole package that I prefer. I'm not even missing the 911 we sold and the old classic one hasn't turned a wheel this summer. I would like another sports car, but far more likely to get something like a BMW i8 now. Also desperately need to get rid of our diesel Qashqai, which is awful to drive back-to-back. A car that I once happily drove for 3 years alongside a 997.2 C4S and the Qashqai even had the better UI in that comparison!

8K miles on the Tesla now, zero issues and not the slightest regret in taking what I considered to be a big risk. I can confidently say at this point that all our future family wagons will be pure EVs unless something better comes along, which I very much doubt in the next 20 years. Not so sure on the pure sports car front, but probably hybrid or pure EV for me too. The upcoming Tesla Roadster is probably a bit OTT, but the Model 3 P would be very tempting as a second car. Also seriously considering a BMW i8 hybrid in the meantime.
👍 Can't knock that. Also I see that you can pick up i8's very reasonably compared to new cost but I read the latest ones are a step forward on the initial models. Still some fun and lots of interest from car lovers, just not sure about those Prius wheels though.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Deleted User 1874

MikeM wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:57 pm
👍 Can't knock that. Also I see that you can pick up i8's very reasonably compared to new cost but I read the latest ones are a step forward on the initial models. Still some fun and lots of interest from car lovers, just not sure about those Prius wheels though.
Yeah, it was the used i8 prices that really sparked my interest. Seems like £55K would secure a nice low mileage 2-3 year old example from a main dealer. I've sat in one, but not had a test drive yet. You've probably seen my other thread about them. Seems like a lot of exotic car for the money and I think they look great.