Tesla Model 3 braking issues.

The place to discuss everything else..
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Apparently the Model 3 is receiving bad press about having the worst emergency braking distance 60-0 of any car in its class.

Musk tweets, ..... it looks like a Firmware update will cure it.

Am I alone in being concerned that Braking performance is dependent upon software?
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags

johnd

Post by johnd »

Shouldn't that be 'Braking news'? :lol:
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Groan.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Col Lamb wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 3:38 pm Am I alone in being concerned that Braking performance is dependent upon software?
Well that in itself is a fundamental problem for any electronic ABS braking system. We take these systems for granted and for the most part they work much better than purely mechanical systems.

Tesla appear to have some kind of calibration issue on the 2 cars that a specific magazine tested, but I don't think any owner has complained about braking performance on the forums and other magazines have reported good braking results. So it could be a genuine issue with those particular cars or it could be something more political. There are enough highly dubious industry lobbyists around that it is hard to verify fact from fiction with these news stories, especially once they get the "Daily Mail" style treatment from the junk media. Having said that I wouldn't want to own an early production Model 3! Tesla's track record has been undoubtedly poor on quality of all their early production cars. But they do tend to learn quickly from what I've seen of the Model X development over the last 2 years. I'd still be up for a RHD Model 3 "Performance" in 2019/20 when they get their act together.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Agree, you'd be surprised (or not) just how many “ ordinary” cars out there do not have a physical connection between the brake pedal and the hydraulic system....
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Deleted User 1874

Interesting video review of the base Model 3 by Autocar (nothing to do with the brake issue here). Having recently driven a BMW 3 series (320d), with an interior that felt like something out of the last century and flat farted performance (in an engine that I once admired!) I would choose the Model 3 without a doubt, regardless of build quality. It's light years ahead in its approach to everyday motoring.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-video/vid ... des-beater
Last edited by Deleted User 1874 on Wed May 23, 2018 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 1874

Paul wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 10:09 am Agree, you'd be surprised (or not) just how many “ ordinary” cars out there do not have a physical connection between the brake pedal and the hydraulic system....
Okay, that is a huge surprise to me. While there are many partial brake-by-wire systems, I thought the vast majority still had a physical pedal connection to the hydraulic system to slow the car in an emergency if the electronic systems should fail (albeit with reduced braking power). But yes, we can certainly agree that full braking performance on most modern cars is dependent on electronic systems and software and I personally think the advantages far outweigh any concerns.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Paul wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 10:09 am Agree, you'd be surprised (or not) just how many “ ordinary” cars out there do not have a physical connection between the brake pedal and the hydraulic system....
Frightening.

Makes me wonder about the Macan’s backup emergency braking action.

...... Pull up the handbrake switch ........ for those who are unaware of the system.

Tried it at the PEC and it certainly works.
Col
Macan Turbo
Deleted User 1874

Col Lamb wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 11:38 am
Frightening.
Well if that scares you then you probably don't want to go on a modern passenger jet.
John_M

Post by John_M »

Col Lamb wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 11:38 amMakes me wonder about the Macan’s backup emergency braking action.

...... Pull up the handbrake switch ........ for those who are unaware of the system.

Tried it at the PEC and it certainly works.
Probably works better for most people than a traditional hand brake.

However something to worry about - is BMW recalls The issue relates to a problem with the connection between the battery and fuse box. The connection between the cable and the fusebox can degrade with heat and wear, potentially causing the engine to cut out - The recall was enacted based on fears that a wiring harness connecting the heater fan poses a fire risk. (which would likely impact electrical power around car if wire insulation start melting and grounding )

Having had a similar problem on a brand new car (garage issue) - it is no fun being in outside lane approaching roundabout at night doing 70 and suddenly having zero power and lights