Tesla Model 3 sales

The place to discuss everything else..
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Peteski, I can understand your infatuation with the brand but still cannot agree about the interior design - and in particular the dash. I know you liken it to Scandinavian style but this in only true in part. Yes, there are minimalist elements but the central consol is, visually, IMHO, straight out of 70’s America; so a concoction that fights with itself somewhat. Again I understand this as the US is their base and their main market - and US car interiors have always been indiosyncratic and particularly at odds with European taste.

As for Model 3 I just don’t see it appealing to Europe in its current form. In terms of the dash this is definitely not a £30-£40K environment. A £10-£15K one maybe. Again I can appreciate the tech and the fiscal challenge of producing the world’s first truly mass market EV but the facia just screams ‘last thought’. It’s a very, no terrible attempt at minimalist design which is without doubt the most challenging and perhaps most mishandled of all design areas. Like all great creative efforts the secret is in what you leave out. But this is not a simple licence, it needs extremely careful consideration.

When I look at the Model 3 dash it is a bad attempt at minimalism and if I were in the market it would be a moment one deal-breaker. A reference in this field of minimalist success would be the Rover 2000 and then the first Range Rover. Dated, maybe, but brilliant benchmarks that are still referenced to this day.

And I agree with others that the entire design is struggling. And this is not unsurprising as the conncept is now getting on a bit with production delays beginning to take it into facelift territory - and particularly for non US markets.

It would pay Tesla well, especially in Europe where orders books haven’t really opened and the opposition are preparing to pounce, to take the opportunity of their production hiatus to undertake a serious reappraisal. Get it right and they will be much, much better armed. Ignoring discerning European buyers will be at their peril.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Well said Mike.

Look at a Tesla Model X interior.

Now look at a Jag iPace interior.

No question the iPace is in a vastly superior league.

So for me £80k on an SUV sized EV and its a no brainer its a Jag and that from me is a huge statement given my hatred of Jag after sales lack of service.

Telas have one huge problem, they are designing a range of World Cars but with a huge lean towards the USA, established premium marques are better equipted at designing world cars except Lexus who design for the USA which is why all Lexus cars look wierd on UK roads.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

Not sure I agree re: the iPace vs Model X interior comparison? The iPace at the London Motor Show last week was a very plasticky affair, whereas the Model X in Solihull had a higher quality feel to it, albeit the layout (big iPad etc) is obviously subjective. Perhaps the iPace (orange) was a pre-production version?
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Dandock wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 2:39 pm Peteski, I can understand your infatuation with the brand but still cannot agree about the interior design - and in particular the dash. I know you liken it to Scandinavian style but this in only true in part. Yes, there are minimalist elements but the central consol is, visually, IMHO, straight out of 70’s America; so a concoction that fights with itself somewhat. Again I understand this as the US is their base and their main market - and US car interiors have always been indiosyncratic and particularly at odds with European taste.
Sorry I have no idea what you are talking about?? Show me one other US car that shares any interior resemblance to a Model X so I can at least see what you mean.
Deleted User 1874

nsm3 wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 3:50 pm Not sure I agree re: the iPace vs Model X interior comparison? The iPace at the London Motor Show last week was a very plasticky affair, whereas the Model X in Solihull had a higher quality feel to it, albeit the layout (big iPad etc) is obviously subjective. Perhaps the iPace (orange) was a pre-production version?
I'm glad I'm not alone! There is obviously a lot of subjective opinion on interiors, but I'm more than happy with the Model X interior compared to other premium SUVs I've driven or sat in. I thought the Cayenne (outgoing model) was okay, but dated interface etc. I really liked the new Volvo XC60 and XC90 airy Scandi interiors (which are not that dissimilar to the Tesla in ambience, both with large portrait central displays and low flat consoles). But at the end of the day it was the Model X that won me over and the interior design was certainly a significant factor in that decision, along with the powertrain of course. Like many interiors it is quite sensitive to choice of trim and the choices are very limited, but thankfully there are some that look great to me. All I can say is that if you like interior design like in the Bentley Bentayga, then this is probably not going to be your thing!
Deleted User 1874

Col Lamb wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 3:08 pm Well said Mike.

Look at a Tesla Model X interior.

Now look at a Jag iPace interior.

No question the iPace is in a vastly superior league.
It's actually very questionable! I haven't seen the iPace interior in real life yet, but the many pictures I've seen of it don't look that amazing. Looks like the usual plasticky Jag treatment to me and nothing ground breaking on the tech. I thought it was quite disappointing, especially as some of the concept interiors looked a lot better. Anyway if you think it's in a "vastly superior league" to the Tesla interior then I can't argue with that. But in reality it's just a subjective opinion that some will share with you and others will certainly not!
johnd

Post by johnd »

The only reservation that I had about the I-Pace interior seeing one in the flesh a couple of times on the round-Britain dealer roadshow was that combination of all the various displays can look a bit like a light show, maybe slightly garish. Though this may have been because the displays were on demo mode, cycling through all the available options. But the actual finishes look fine too me, including the 'added leather' (or whatever it's called) option for the dashboard etc. But I don't pretend to be any great connoisseur of premium finishes.
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
Deleted User 1874

Dandock wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 2:39 pm And I agree with others that the entire design is struggling. And this is not unsurprising as the conncept is now getting on a bit with production delays beginning to take it into facelift territory - and particularly for non US markets.
The concept is "getting on a bit"! Seriously? Where does that leave a current BMW 3 series? What about all the other concept EVs that have been in development for years with not one single production car to show for it? Seems like nonsense talk to me. The Model 3 is going to sell in whatever numbers they can churn them out over its lifetime. If that ends up being 5K cars per week (which is very conservative in the medium term) then they will sell at least 750,000 plus by 2021 still with probably minimal direct competition. They could easily double that figure if things go to according to plan. Model Y will be interesting too as that will overlap into Model 3 sales quite a bit.
Deleted User 1874

johnd wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 4:43 pm The only reservation that I had about the I-Pace interior seeing one in the flesh a couple of times on the round-Britain dealer roadshow was that combination of all the various displays can look a bit like a light show, maybe slightly garish. Though this may have been because the displays were on demo mode, cycling through all the available options. But the actual finishes look fine too me, including the 'added leather' (or whatever it's called) option for the dashboard etc. But I don't pretend to be any great connoisseur of premium finishes.
I think Jaguar have played it safe with the interior, so it's not likely to offend anyone. I think you are dead right about the displays being a key factor in its success. That's one area where Tesla got it right in that despite it's massive size, the central display is very relaxing to view and doesn't distract you while driving. Same with the dash display, it's very simple and easy on the eye. Done differently those displays could have been a total disaster! Night time cruising is always a good test for this kind of thing and the Tesla is sublime to drive in night mode. Much better than typical conventional dash setups. Hopefully Jaguar will have picked up on this.
VanB

Post by VanB »

Got to say this thread (and others) have had me browsing the Tesla website and they are not the prettiest of cars! The technology may be amazing and is definitely cutting edge but they look like the bastard children of a hippo and a bulldog!
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate